JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #646 of 739
Just to chime in... @MaxwellDot guided me to the Lola’s (universal) many months ago and man... i listen to them for hours a day with iPhone + ES100, Hiby R6 Pro, and iFi xDSD. I’m using the JH balanced cable w/ base @ 2:30 and Acoustune tips. I listen to a lot of classical and female vocals, blues, you name it. It all sounds incredible, sometimes better than my Audeze cans

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #647 of 739
Just to chime in... @MaxwellDot guided me to the Lola’s (universal) many months ago and man... i listen to them for hours a day with iPhone + ES100, Hiby R6 Pro, and iFi xDSD. I’m using the JH balanced cable w/ base @ 2:30 and Acoustune tips. I listen to a lot of classical and female vocals, blues, you name it. It all sounds incredible, sometimes better than my Audeze cans

I listen to my JH Lola's more than any other IEM, but it is also to get it broke in too.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #648 of 739
I am updating my previous posts about my quest to replace my failing JH16's OG with a newer model. I have now been sent four demo sets by JH Audio, a tribute to their really excellent customer service. I have tried the Roxanne, and Lola, the 16 Pro v2, and the 13 Pro v2. I have the latter two currently and will keep them a week or so, I think and then (finally) make up my mind.

As of now, the model I was LEAST inclined to buy was the Roxanne. My understanding is that this is an IEM engineered for on stage rock musicians who need lots of headroom and power and the ability to achieve loud volumes. There is a conscious diminution of the higher frequencies to help avert hearing damage at high volumes. I understand that some rock music fans like the thick, bass-heavy texture of the Roxanne, but I did not. And I consider myself a fan of dark-ish headphones generally.

I liked the Lola, with its excellent, dynamic driver-produced midrange for voices and guitars. But I don't see it being worth three hundred dollars more than the 16 Pro v2 and five hundred dollars more than the 13 Pro v2. The 13 Pro v2 actually seems the most like an "all arounder" that can be adjusted (via the bass pot) for music ranging from classical/delicate female vocal to hip hop. There is just a bit of thinness in the upper midrange, but nothing deal-killing.

As of this moment, I am pretty smitten with the 16 Pro v2. This is not surprising, perhaps, given that I owned and used the original 16 Pro for ten years. I find myself dialing back the bass to twelve o'clock or less for a lot of music. But I do like that if I play a real extreme basshead track it can crank up the bass rumble wonderfully.

JH Audio suggested I might still like the 16 Pro v1, but they would have to build it special for me and they have no demo available. I think I probably will pass on that, since I will not get a chance to audition it.

The IEM they send me will be a custom, based on the shell made for my broken 16 v1. So there undoubtedly will be some small differences in how I will hear the signature.

Isn't it nice to have so many choices?

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #649 of 739
I am updating my previous posts about my quest to replace my failing JH16's OG with a newer model. I have now been sent four demo sets by JH Audio, a tribute to their really excellent customer service. I have tried the Roxanne, and Lola, the 16 Pro v2, and the 13 Pro v2. I have the latter two currently and will keep them a week or so, I think and then (finally) make up my mind.

As of now, the model I was LEAST inclined to buy was the Roxanne. My understanding is that this is an IEM engineered for on stage rock musicians who need lots of headroom and power and the ability to achieve loud volumes. There is a conscious diminution of the higher frequencies to help avert hearing damage at high volumes. I understand that some rock music fans like the thick, bass-heavy texture of the Roxanne, but I did not. And I consider myself a fan of dark-ish headphones generally.

I liked the Lola, with its excellent, dynamic driver-produced midrange for voices and guitars. But I don't see it being worth three hundred dollars more than the 16 Pro v2 and five hundred dollars more than the 13 Pro v2. The 13 Pro v2 actually seems the most like an "all arounder" that can be adjusted (via the bass pot) for music ranging from classical/delicate female vocal to hip hop. There is just a bit of thinness in the upper midrange, but nothing deal-killing.

As of this moment, I am pretty smitten with the 16 Pro v2. This is not surprising, perhaps, given that I owned and used the original 16 Pro for ten years. I find myself dialing back the bass to twelve o'clock or less for a lot of music. But I do like that if I play a real extreme basshead track it can crank up the bass rumble wonderfully.

JH Audio suggested I might still like the 16 Pro v1, but they would have to build it special for me and they have no demo available. I think I probably will pass on that, since I will not get a chance to audition it.

The IEM they send me will be a custom, based on the shell made for my broken 16 v1. So there undoubtedly will be some small differences in how I will hear the signature.

Im glad you got a chance for a second round of comparisons. The funny thing is I am in the same boat. I couldnt shake the nagging feeling that I might prefer the roxanne, and since it was the only one I hadnt heard I ended up asking jh to send me the 16v2 and the roxanne to finalize my deicision, although I will mention that the lady I spoke with said that she was "sure i would pick the roxanne, since 85 percent of people do" . That remains to be seen.

Im glad hearing your review of the roxanne and 16v2 that it's not rediculous to prefer the "lower" model.

If you wouldnt mind offering a few more comparison thoughts between the 16v2 and roxanne, id be happy to see if they line up with my own thoughts, which ill be able to offer up tomorrow when the roxanne arrive.

I've heard so many people say the roxanne sound just like the 16v2 but more detailed/better soundstage. Thats what made me want to try them.

I'm not sure that's entirely the case since in my own listening comparisons, the 16v2 sounded most like the Layla to my ears. Even more so than the 13v2 sounded like the layla. I was further inclined to believe that when I saw cirnacles fr graphs for the layla and 16v2 which seemed very similar, again more so than the 13v2 and layla. Since theres no graph there for the roxanne I couldnt compare. Hopefully my ears are up to the task!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #650 of 739

I was sent the exact same four IEMs. I chose Lola. Roxanne was too dark for me and I like warmer sound.

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #651 of 739
I was sent the exact same four IEMs. I chose Lola. Roxanne was too dark for me and I like warmer sound.

I firmly believe in "each to his own," "different strokes for different folks," and other similar aphorisms. But it surprises me to learn that "85% choose the Roxannes," as the IEM's sound is strikingly thick, really, really dark. Maybe the JH Audio "85%" sample pertains to rock musicians, which is, after all, the primary clientele for JH Audio's products, I believe. One of the selling points of Roxanne is the sheer power emanating from twelve drivers, which provides all that "headroom" at the very loud volumes musicians must deal with while performing. How many of us humble audiophiles have a need for this?

As I said previously, I really liked the Lola, but I also really like the 16 Pro v2, and I am happy to save $300.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #652 of 739
I firmly believe in "each to his own," "different strokes for different folks," and other similar aphorisms. But it surprises me to learn that "85% choose the Roxannes," as the IEM's sound is strikingly thick, really, really dark. Maybe the JH Audio "85%" sample pertains to rock musicians, which is, after all, the primary clientele for JH Audio's products, I believe. One of the selling points of Roxanne is the sheer power emanating from twelve drivers, which provides all that "headroom" at the very loud volumes musicians must deal with while performing. How many of us humble audiophiles have a need for this?

As I said previously, I really liked the Lola, but I also really like the 16 Pro v2, and I am happy to save $300.
So, just to clarify, the 16v2 is not as dark or thick (that sounds wrong now that i'm writing it) as the roxanne? Becuase ultimately I would like something a little closer to neutral, but everyone kepts saying they were basically the same so I don't know who to believe.

Ps, the 85 percent comment struck me as strange too, but what do I know. Maybe ill be part of the minortiy.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #653 of 739
16v2 is not as dark as Roxanne. For neutral, the 13v2 is very popular as a more neutral IEM. With the 13v2 or 16v2, you can adjust the bass pod to get as neutral as you want.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #657 of 739
Me too! It's so painful to listen to TWS buds when comparing the sound to Lola. I bought the JH bluetooth cable a while back but i never use it because it doesn't have adjustable base and it's too heavy for my ears

That could be good feedback for JH Audio. I am sure they could do something with the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back