JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
May 6, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #196 of 739
as a long time listener to JHA products ( I had one of the first of the JH13s) the Lola is my favorite in the lineup. Six months ago when I decided to pick up a new pair of CIEMs I drove over to the JHA office to audition the Lola, Angie, 16 and Layla. I have never been a fan of the Roxanne as it is too lush and the Layla/Angie signature was favored by me for the studio monitor like clarity with spot on timbre.

While the Layla still had an advantage in several ways to the Lola I went with the Lola for long time listening enjoyment. To me it's crazy these are not more popular than they are but I love my pair and really don't care what the rest of the CIEM world thinks.

I'm using these with the silver dragon for my 901s and ZX2 (balanced connector) and bronze dragon with a pentacon termination for my WMA1

May 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #197 of 739
Hi,

Slightly off topic, does anyone know the current build time for JH Audio CIEM.

May 19, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #200 of 739
Why does there seem to be no love for Lola? There is more action in the Angie thread than this one.

May 20, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #202 of 739
Got a pair of Lola (Performance Series) just a few days ago. So far (have only had 4-5 hours to listen to them) silky smooth/warm mids, but almost overly-warm to the point of it being slightly muddy compared to some of my other JH IEMs (all of which I generally keep between 1-3 o'clock; generally 2 for Roxanne and so far 3 for Lola)? Maybe needs some mechanical and/or brain burn-in?

That being said, everything from The Beatles, Santana, and Guns N' Roses to the London Symphony Orchestra to Sean Paul and Avicii (RIP...) sounds goood. Listening to Roxanne after Lola makes Roxanne's representations of guitars, violins, and piano sound cold in comparison (I don't want to say not as analogue, but definitely not as warm). Although I've been around acoustic guitars and pianos all my life, I've not really been around electric guitars save for maybe at a handful of concerts; that being said I'm not sure I've listened enough and compared to tell you which sounds more "realistic." I'm not sure I could get a better sound out of a custom variant as I've put the smallest silicone tips down as far as they can go and have jammed them down my ear canals as far as they will go so don't think that's an factor between the two.

I do feel like Roxanne has a somewhat larger soundstage and has a slight edge in instrument separation. Based on my first 5 hours, I believe Lola is in another league compared to the SE846, CA Vega, and 64 U12 (all of which I've sold off within a few weeks/months of buying because as good as their sound was (don't get me wrong, each of those is a heavyweight in their own right), their sound just didn't get me there for me). I don't see myself selling these Lola anytime in the near future (unless it was to help sponsor a custom version :ksc75smile:).

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #203 of 739
Thinking about a Lola and wondering if anyone has heard it and an Angie II. I currently have the Angie II.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #204 of 739
don't see myself selling these Lola anytime in the near future (unless it was to help sponsor a custom version :ksc75smile:).

I have a custom pair... And I'm not sure what to do with them. I wish my right ear didn't have problems for the 3 attempts JH audio has made so far, and I've asked them if they can "reshell" to universal, which they can't.

Love the sound, but can't stand fit issues. (Super finnicky to get a seal on the right ear, and the cable entry presses on my ear enough to cause soreness/pain after 30 minutes.)

Have you had customs? It seems like the best earphones I hear mentioned (Vega, Lola (my favorite), UE 18, Andromeda) are all so big, and if customs don't work for me, I'm out of luck and will have to just stick with midrange Etymotic stuff because it's small and fits.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #205 of 739
Have you had customs? It seems like the best earphones I hear mentioned (Vega, Lola (my favorite), UE 18, Andromeda) are all so big, and if customs don't work for me, I'm out of luck and will have to just stick with midrange Etymotic stuff because it's small and fits.

995672D1-8768-4FC3-AA14-30FFFC2B0915.jpeg
30BBAEB5-E58E-4C69-9B05-75C2BC1992B3.jpeg
4E811960-0610-4E96-9D63-B3CCF6850615.jpeg

I can’t say I’ve had any fit issues with my 3 acrylic customs from JH Audio (just the carbon fiber version which is a little bit tight, but that is a good thing in some situations).

Getting a perfect impression is key! My advice to anyone looking to get customs is to look around the forums and read some of the many useful suggestions people have regarding taking good impressions! (E.g., medium level on bite block, ZERO jaw movement during impression, giving your ears a few weeks to acclimate to the customs, etc.)

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #206 of 739
I can’t say I’ve had any fit issues with my 3 acrylic customs from JH Audio (just the carbon fiber version which is a little bit tight, but that is a good thing in some situations).

Getting a perfect impression is key! My advice to anyone looking to get customs is to look around the forums and read some of the many useful suggestions people have regarding taking good impressions! (E.g., medium level on bite block, ZERO jaw movement during impression, giving your ears a few weeks to acclimate to the customs, etc.)

I did all of this and the impression look perfect... The guy is a certified/recommended audiologist, and has done it for several performing artists. (Imagine Dragons comes to mine out here in Utah.)

Thing is, I just got them exchanged for a universal version, and it's SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE, and I think blocks noise better, and is less picky if I ever smile, move my face, etc.

That being said, now that I can enjoy it and don't have to worry about the fit and seal as much: The cables are microphonic, when they exchanged it they gave me a straight connector instead of the right angle one I preferred, and didn't include any of the tips... Literally just took out the customs and plopped a set of Lolas with medium eartips in and sent it back after shrink wrapping it.

It took 6 months to get to this point, and customer service is okay, which to me isn't okay for a product like this. (EX: Okay customer service for a Honda dealership: Fine. For a Porsche or MBZ dealer, it's not up to expectations.)

Back to cables: Does anyone know of a low profile cable for these? Moon Audio isn't helpful and everyone else seems to think that chunky cables with harder, microphonic plastic are great.

The cable below in cloth sheathing would be a dream:

jh-audio-stock-cable_5.jpg

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #207 of 739
Bump for the Lola thread!

Just ordered custom Lolas and trying to decide which moon audio cable to pair them with. I currently have the black dragon with the shure se846 so I was leaning towards that but was curious about the bronze and even the silver. I kinda want all 3 but not looking to spend 700+ on cables lol. Any advice ? I listen to 95% grateful dead so I tend to prefer the warmer sound and always love me some phil bombs. But if the lola has enough warmth on its own then maybe the silver is the way to go ?

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #209 of 739
Bump for the Lola thread!

Just ordered custom Lolas and trying to decide which moon audio cable to pair them with. I currently have the black dragon with the shure se846 so I was leaning towards that but was curious about the bronze and even the silver. I kinda want all 3 but not looking to spend 700+ on cables lol. Any advice ? I listen to 95% grateful dead so I tend to prefer the warmer sound and always love me some phil bombs. But if the lola has enough warmth on its own then maybe the silver is the way to go ?

I am also a Deadhead! I have the Lola’s and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I love the combo and would definitely have little hesitation recommending that to you.

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #210 of 739
I have been listening to my JH 16v2’s customs for the last month or so. Switched back to my custom Lola’s today. OMG, a huge difference! Bass is more pronounced but smooth. Sound stage is wider, and has more three dimensual sound stage. Vocals are smoother. A much more fun experience :).

I really appreciate them a lot more now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back