JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #167 of 739
@Stage, hope you write you're impressions, did always admire Jerry Harvey!!

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #168 of 739
I feel headphones will always have a bigger soundstage unless we are talking extremes(even then headphones will probably win). It's like apples and oranges. Headphones just have a bigger playing area. Beside that, high end IEMs are not far behind headphones. Headphones also usually tend to more cost efficient than IEMs. IEMs get increasingly difficult to improve after a certain point. That said, good headphones will always need a good amplifier so they balance out in terms of cost.

I feel that since you already own a high end CIEM, you should go for a headphone next. JH Lola will probably not beat the K10. At this TOTL level, one IEM will always do something better than another one and vice versa. Also, between K10 and Encore, I would probably choose the old K10. Newer one has too hot Treble for me. Just straight sibilant and too much. Mids and bass of the new one are good though.

Edit: Also read reviews at headfi with a grain of salt. For me, any headphone has never sounded exactly like I read in the reviews. One of the reasons being I am 20 and very Treble sensitive. Many reviews are done by guys who don't feel Treble hotness the same way I do.

Very wise man you are!

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #169 of 739
I've found my BA's have had break in (I remember comparing new to used se530s once to verify) but not up for that discussion so we'll call it opinion since there's more to IEMs than just the drivers. You still have new cables etc there as well.

Specifically on the mids, I've found the high passed drivers take longer, probably since they see less energy and excursion and in this case are DD.

I spoke to JH himself. He indicated a minimum of 250 hours burn in time

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #170 of 739
Ok, have a lot of hours on the custom Lola’s. Received a WM1-Z a couple weeks ago. 190 hours on it. Got a balanced cable from Moon Audio. Great service by the way.....

Sounds tremendous for all types of music, and all types of quality recordings. I’m not really qualified to talk about the finer nuances of the sound signature that I’m hearing. The WM1-Z is reported to have a tube like warmth to them. Pared with the Lola’s very smooth, no sibelance at all. Bass is sharp, crisp, impactful. Mids are a blend of everything I want. Treble is there without things you don’t want. Sound stage is large, deep, and almost 3-d.

Sorry for the weak impressions, I know others can do a better job. That being said, 2 thumbs up! Great combo if you can do it....

Leo

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #171 of 739
@Luckyleo, thanks for the impression on the Lola!!!!
I want to try these, this will happen in April.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #172 of 739
I have received my Lola, Silver dragon cable and Vorzuge PureII+. Initial impressions are very positive. So far about 50 hours..I can see things have improved quite a bit when compared to out of the box. However since I had three the item, amp and cable all brand new Im not sure which one takes how long to burn in fully. One thing I can say is the boomy bass and harsh highs are gone now. compared to 13v2 pro the lola is on another league in detail and separation, not to mention the clarity in mid frequencies. However the 13v2 has put one hell of a fight for the price, really can't complain. Compared to Roxanne, the layering and space between the instrument seems bit lesser on lola. But lola is not about layering or imaging..its pure musical and relaxing experience. The vocal,strings and drums sounds organic in Lola. Highs and bass.humm nothing to complain so far. Im really looking forward to put on another 50 odd hours and see how it improves.

Over all Lola is what JH audio claims it to be. Magic in mid frequencies.

Sorry Im not an expert in describing sound in technical terms.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #173 of 739
@Stage reads well to me for one of your first times writing impressions! Keep the impressions coming as you get more used to them, switch back over to the Roxanne’s for a few days, back to the Lola’s, then the 13v2’s, Lola’s Roxanne’s, etc. to fight some of the brain burn-in :)

Also, I’m assuming you have the custom variant of each?

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #175 of 739
Get back to us after a few hundred hours. I'm curious if your take gets somewhat modified.
I have a few hundred hours on it now. I think they smoothed out a little. The stage does not seem as wide as before and I hear more front to back. I also notice the layering has improved.

I've come to appreciate these as a relaxing IEM. When switching to other IEMs, the Lola lose on speed, resolution, and dynamics. But these have addicting thick and emotional mids.

With my full sized headphones sometimes I use tube amps when I don't care to hear the most accurate and transparent attack on my music. I like the Lolas for a similar reason.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #176 of 739
I have a few hundred hours on it now. I think they smoothed out a little. The stage does not seem as wide as before and I hear more front to back. I also notice the layering has improved.

I've come to appreciate these as a relaxing IEM. When switching to other IEMs, the Lola lose on speed, resolution, and dynamics. But these have addicting thick and emotional mids.

With my full sized headphones sometimes I use tube amps when I don't care to hear the most accurate and transparent attack on my music. I like the Lolas for a similar reason.

I agree with your views of the Lola's. I hadn't thought of them as having that smoother, "tube sound", but you're absolutely right! Paired with the WMZ1, it's a very tube-like experience for sure!

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #177 of 739
20180224_230351.jpg
Attaching a pic of my setup...Now its been about 70 hours..things have changed quite a bit..starting to really like the lola..Just so much emotion

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #178 of 739
Luckyleo and Stage - sounds like you are enjoying these as much as I am. I really like the body of the mids. I'm now trying to decide if I should try Moon Audio's silver dragon balanced.

Since we're sharing pics, here's what I'm listening to now...
IMG-0056.JPG

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #180 of 739
Luckyleo and Stage - sounds like you are enjoying these as much as I am. I really like the body of the mids. I'm now trying to decide if I should try Moon Audio's silver dragon balanced.

Since we're sharing pics, here's what I'm listening to now...
Actually I have two silver dragon balanced cables 2.5 and also 4.4. Both with the bass adjuster. Drew and his wife provide quick service. Will answer any questions very quickly. I’m a truly satisfied customer. Highly recommend those cables. I can hear the difference myself. Go for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back