JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Jun 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #286 of 739
Nice one... did they say when the new universals would be out?
I asked, but was not able to get a date. Just soon is all I received. I was told I could order and request the smaller shell, so I assume that is for everyone.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #287 of 739
FYI there is a Japan-only smaller shell version of the Roxanne. 40% smaller.
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1044121.html#jh3_s.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
jhaudio_jha0621_2.jpg

I must say looking a the first image (the current Roxanne IEM, Silver/Black) and the second image (the Japan only edition of the Roxanne (called Black Pearl)), its hard to see a difference in size. I would say the Japan edition is the same as the current international edition (especially as the Japan edition came out a while back)

Perhaps the new shells will be even smaller than the current ones.. although its hard to see how they can cram 12 drivers into a smaller shell (I hope its not at the expense of smaller/inferior drivers).

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #288 of 739
It is a wait and see game I think on shell size. The Empire Ears Legend X fits me better than the Performance Series Lola and they both have two dynamic drivers. The Lola has one more BA driver. Legend X is still bulky though compared to the Phantom. Also, the Performance Series Lola does fit me much better than my Angie II, which is huge.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #289 of 739
What makes the JH earpieces large is the long soundtubes (to do freqphase), not the number of drivers / size of drivers. Other companies make much smaller 12-driver UIEMs.

- The full metal jacket series have a relatively short nozzle, hence can only be inserted shallowly. The center of the weight, in my experience, is therefore outside of the ear canal, making them easy to fall off.
- The original carbon fiber Roxanne/Layla/Angie have a slightly longer body and nozzle that can be inserted deeply into your ears. The body is long and thick, therefore it makes contact with / put pressure on your outer ear canal if you do insert it deeply. Out of the three, this version is the largest in terms of their physical size.
- The new performance series (as well as the latest, not-for-sale demo unit of the Layla) have a even longer but thinner body and nozzle that can be inserted even deeper into your ears. The body is so long that if you do not insert deep enough, it protrudes way too much. In fact, the body is so long that it might still protrudes even if you have inserted it deeply. The body is thinner, therefore it makes less contact with your outer ear canal, but it put more pressure on where they do make contact, e.g. deep in your ears at the eartip.

In terms of fit, personally I prefer original carbon fiber > performance > full metal jacket. I am struggling to find a side-by-side pic comparison, but a pic is not gonna tell the whole story anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #290 of 739
It is a wait and see game I think on shell size. The Empire Ears Legend X fits me better than the Performance Series Lola and they both have two dynamic drivers. The Lola has one more BA driver. Legend X is still bulky though compared to the Phantom. Also, the Performance Series Lola does fit me much better than my Angie II, which is huge.

Do you still have the Legend X as a loaner ? Would be good to get your thoughts vs the 2 JH Audio models, on it as it seems (theoretically at least ) to be a contender to the Lola and the Roxanne. the Legend X also claims wider frequency response that the other two...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #291 of 739
Do you still have the Legend X as a loaner ? Would be good to get your thoughts vs the 2 JH Audio models, on it as it seems (theoretically at least ) to be a contender to the Lola and the Roxanne. the Legend X also claims wider frequency response that the other two...

I just shipped the Empire Ear IEMs back today. The Legend X does have better bass and a higher top end than Lola. It has better bass than Roxanne, but not sure on top end as both have good treble. The Legend X is not as warm as the Lola and Roxanne. I would say Lola is dark compared to Legend X.

Lola and Roxanne still both sound good and they are both less money than Legend X. Some say Legend X has too much bass, so best to hear for yourself. If you do not like a lot of bass, the JH Audio IEMs have adjustable bass pods.

I would not say any are better than the others. They are just different.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #292 of 739
I still have a set of reshelled TF10s still, JH16 is a major upgrade. Ive owned it to and upgraded to JH Roxanne which I’ve now had for about 3.5 years now...

Which do you prefer for listening to pink floyd? Do you have any experience with the older ue triple fi 10's. Looking to upgrade from them to either the jh 16v2 pr lola's and leaning towards lola. Just wonder how much of an upgrade the sound would be in the Lola's. I listen for enjoyment but I do still want earphones that dont sacrifice detail and dynamics, stereo imaging, layering ect. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #293 of 739
I still have a set of reshelled TF10s still, JH16 is a major upgrade. Ive owned it to and upgraded to JH Roxanne which I’ve now had for about 5 years...

I liked Roxanne when I had it on loan from JH Audio along with Lola.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #294 of 739
I’m looking around again since I’ve got a pretty good portable unit, thought about picking up smother jh16. Some of the Empire Ears lol nice, but don’t really know if I want to drop another $2k just yet, and I’ve been off the boards for about 3 years til semi recently...

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #295 of 739
I’m looking around again since I’ve got a pretty good portable unit, thought about picking up smother jh16. Some of the Empire Ears lol nice, but don’t really know if I want to drop another $2k just yet, and I’ve been off the boards for about 3 years til semi recently...

Are you a member of the JH Crew? You get 10-20% off everything on the site. The JH16 would be in the 15% bracket as the Layla is the only 20% discount IEM.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #296 of 739
Things have changed a lot, the Roxanne I got from JH Audio, but all other customs I’ve owned I got reshelled at Fischer Hearing for $99-150, but I see they don’t do that anymore...

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #297 of 739
So I have spent a small fortune over the past couple of months to try and find the right eartips that go with the Lola's (in some cases re-ordering same tips but in a different size, if I got the size wrong the first time). By right eartips I am not so much talking about comfort here, as most decent eartips out there are comfortable enough. I am talking about the sound impact. I like the mids of the Lola , which are probably the best mids in any IEM out there, (even when compared to the Roxanne's), but I do miss the thicker sound of the Roxannes (and deeper bass). The perfect IEMs for me would have the mids off the Lola's, cleanly combined with the bass/thicker sound of the Roxanne's.

So after trying around 6 types of top-end ear tips (including the rarely found "Sony Triple Comfort" (which are made from both foam and silicone), the SpinFits, and the Symbios Mandrins, both "peeled" and "unpeeled", I came across a Japanese brand (Acoustune), which makes two types of eartips: AET08 and AET07. The AET08 are designed to focus the sound on "the bass reverb", as the company claims, and is meant to result in thicker and fuller sound. Well, to be honest, thats exactly what they do. For me they make the sound fuller, with bigger bass impact (but not bloated or muddy).I suppose they contain low frequencies better (they don't leak out or dissipate), and don't accentuate the higher frequencies (but they don't mess with high frequencies either). Its apparently to do with the material of the inner tube. The other one the make is meant to make the sound clearer at the high end of frequency (and not bass focused), but I have no interest in order than or trying it since I am nor looking for that type of sound.

If you are wondering why I simply didn't increase the bass on the Lola's bass pod (to try and make them closer as possible to the Roxanne's bass-wise), well I tried that at setting 3 or 4 o 5, but they end up being too bassy, and not in a good, clean, natural way. With the AET08, I can keep Lola's bass pod at the ideal setting of 2pm, and let the eartips do the rest of the "heavy lifting". I suppose you can call the eartips the last link in the chain of sound to your ears.

I feel now I have a pretty much near perfect sounding set of IEMs.. (well at least until the next greatest IEMs come along :)

These eartips are not easy to find on common English online websites, but are mostly sold in Japan and Asia. I ordered them from Amazon Japan (you can select English language for that site, which just about makes it easy to order). Or you can look to buy from Hong Kong. You can just google "Acoustune AET08". In any case here is a link where you can find these:

https://jaben-the-little-headphone-store.myshopify.com/products/acoustune-aet08-eartips/

Also, here is good review of various eartips, which first alerted me to these (plus I tried a few of the others reviewed).

https://aftersoundblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/eartips-reviewed/

Happy listening !

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #298 of 739

Users who are viewing this thread

Back