JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #2,206 of 2,420
Thanks for your kind reply.
I'm now considering asking them to do 4 pin instead.

As one who has used the 4 pin connector on my JH13, I don’t recommend it. The 7 pin is a lot better, solid connector that doesn’t come loose. It’s also strictly sweat proof.

Not sure about sound upgrade, maybe but the 7 pin connector is really a lot better.

My personal advise is to get the 7 pin, wait for upgrade cables later. Your mileage on cables isn’t as big as a good DAP, DAC or amp. Since you are already using the flagship AK Sp2000, you already have quite a good setup.

If I remember correctly, the good cable upgrade would be the Effect Audio Leonidas II Octa but that’s would set you back more than $1 grand I think.

My priority of investment would always be:
1. The headphone / earphone
2. Amp or solid DAC amp or DAP
3. DAC
4. Cables

My ideal setup would be transporter (iPhone) —> Hugo 2 —> headphone or Hugo 2 —> dedicated amp —> headphones.

Cables might be last on my list 😂

But that’s just me and my 2 cents worth.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2,208 of 2,420
Please do give the various JH IEMs an audition before you decide on the Layla.

If you are into mids, vocals, you might want to look at the Lola. It might not have the same reference quality of the Layla, but it’s probably the best for vocals IMHO.

If you want something more V shape and fun, the Roxannes are great. While it was 12 BA setup, its differently tuned as compared to the Layla. The Layla is similar to the JH13 and or Angie, very liner and flat.

JH designs their IEM for specific purposes. It’s either you love it or hate it.

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #2,209 of 2,420
Please do give the various JH IEMs an audition before you decide on the Layla.

If you are into mids, vocals, you might want to look at the Lola. It might not have the same reference quality of the Layla, but it’s probably the best for vocals IMHO.

If you want something more V shape and fun, the Roxannes are great. While it was 12 BA setup, its differently tuned as compared to the Layla. The Layla is similar to the JH13 and or Angie, very liner and flat.

JH designs their IEM for specific purposes. It’s either you love it or hate it.
I'm looking for something slightly bass head(like a slight +3~4dB from diffuse field neutral) with crisp vocal and fast bass response. Prior to considering I liked prophile 8/ER4XR and Noble khan a lot.
One of the reason I consider them is that they finally started bro accept STL file while some of my other options on list like fitear require physical impressions (you know, It's a difficult time to get impressions at this moment)

Plus: I don't like JH's universal in general, for some reason I conceived LOLA universal as slightly dry and Layla AEON as still too basshead for me (but as someone tell me the private mold is much better because their universal are not for Asian.)
I want to take this chance. I liked triple fi 10, I've tried to diy UE10 design when I was in high school , liked them a lot.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #2,210 of 2,420
If you mentioned that the Layla Aion might be too much of a bass for you, I think the Layla might be a bit dark for you. It’s a dark IEM, not something those who emphasize on treble would desire. Unless you turn it down to 10am or downright at 7am. Bass would be fast considering it to be a full BA setup.

The sound signature between the AION and Customs are meant to be the same to a certain extent.

You are right, JH isn’t really well known for their universal. That’s why I went for the customs.

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,211 of 2,420
If you mentioned that the Layla Aion might be too much of a bass for you, I think the Layla might be a bit dark for you. It’s a dark IEM, not something those who emphasize on treble would desire. Unless you turn it down to 10am or downright at 7am. Bass would be fast considering it to be a full BA setup.

The sound signature between the AION and Customs are meant to be the same to a certain extent.

You are right, JH isn’t really well known for their universal. That’s why I went for the customs.
Thanks for sharing...maybe I'll check whether they have future plans for 4.4.
BTW I own Solaris for some time, is there any comparison between bass amount?(I always doubt JH universals are just not for Asian ears)

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,212 of 2,420
If it helps, I am from Singapore. The Laylas I got were great except for the small defect which led me to send it back for fixing. I think I should get it back this week? Been almost a month! Haha

The Solaris features a DD, hence the bass response is typical of it. However as compared to the Layla, the Layla comes close if not IMHO I felt I preferred it as it was faster and didn’t seem overbearing. I felt the Solaris was more of a fun, warm as compared to the Layla but I preferred the Layla due to the reference quality which I sought.

The Solaris is a great IEM but I guess for personal taste and preferences for a customs, I went for the Layla.

Other good considerations are:
VE ELYSIUM, VE8.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #2,214 of 2,420
If it helps, I am from Singapore. The Laylas I got were great except for the small defect which led me to send it back for fixing. I think I should get it back this week? Been almost a month! Haha

The Solaris features a DD, hence the bass response is typical of it. However as compared to the Layla, the Layla comes close if not IMHO I felt I preferred it as it was faster and didn’t seem overbearing. I felt the Solaris was more of a fun, warm as compared to the Layla but I preferred the Layla due to the reference quality which I sought.

The Solaris is a great IEM but I guess for personal taste and preferences for a customs, I went for the Layla.

Other good considerations are:
VE ELYSIUM, VE8.
Yeah vision ears are in my list too, but they require impressions, it's hard for me to find a reliable audiologist right now...
If the amount of bass is similar to Solaris I think it's fine.(slightly bassy but really fun to listen to my opinion, Best thing CFA has to offer yet)

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,215 of 2,420
Yeah vision ears are in my list too, but they require impressions, it's hard for me to find a reliable audiologist right now...
If the amount of bass is similar to Solaris I think it's fine.(slightly bassy but really fun to listen to my opinion, Best thing CFA has to offer yet)

Here in Singapore, the reseller does the impression in-stall. So it was quite easy for me. Just that the whole process takes a very very long time. I started my order back in May 2020 and it’s already end August and I have barely enjoyed my new Layla for about a week or so over these months. If your impressions made are great and JH doesn’t make the same mistake as what they did with mine, you should be able to enjoy them after 6 weeks upon sending the impression in, shipping two ways.

Jh is already considered relatively fast

You can dial up the bass for the Layla to get the full impact which is quite overwhelming IMO but not in negative way. Hence how I described the Layla to be full bodied, deep and textured bass, yet with the ability to dial it up or down to your preference.

If details is your thing, the Layla’s would be great.

Some do say that the Layla is old, given that it’s been here since 2015? But I think it still holds up till today. Anyways, sound is really subjective and I am happy with it.

Hell, I am even happy with my JH13 but the fit is just not good, given how weird it is for the universal model especially for my ears.

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #2,216 of 2,420
Here in Singapore, the reseller does the impression in-stall. So it was quite easy for me. Just that the whole process takes a very very long time. I started my order back in May 2020 and it’s already end August and I have barely enjoyed my new Layla for about a week or so over these months. If your impressions made are great and JH doesn’t make the same mistake as what they did with mine, you should be able to enjoy them after 6 weeks upon sending the impression in, shipping two ways.

Jh is already considered relatively fast

You can dial up the bass for the Layla to get the full impact which is quite overwhelming IMO but not in negative way. Hence how I described the Layla to be full bodied, deep and textured bass, yet with the ability to dial it up or down to your preference.

If details is your thing, the Layla’s would be great.

Some do say that the Layla is old, given that it’s been here since 2015? But I think it still holds up till today. Anyways, sound is really subjective and I am happy with it.

Hell, I am even happy with my JH13 but the fit is just not good, given how weird it is for the universal model especially for my ears.
I think they still slowly improve their design without publicly mention it... I'm here in Delaware US, not much reliable audiologist or big stores to come by...

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #2,217 of 2,420
Yes, Jh has improved over their designs in recent years. Mine is one example of a special one too, where it’s a luthier design with pearl faceplate and custom initials.

Based on what I was told by the reseller here, they wouldn’t be willing to do this in the past and had to stick with the signature luthier design. I saw the new designs and they look gorgeous.

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,218 of 2,420
have the Layla with an SP2000. works very well. I do not have the 7 pins, but have the custom fit wood option. I found the delivered cable to be vey base centric. I moved to the Silver dragon cable from moon and that too care of it. would definitely recommend this setup.

EDIT: using the balanced cable

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,219 of 2,420
have the Layla with an SP2000. works very well. I do not have the 7 pins, but have the custom fit wood option. I found the delivered cable to be vey base centric. I moved to the Silver dragon cable from moon and that too care of it. would definitely recommend this setup.

EDIT: using the balanced cable
Yeah that's one of my worries, they say they can't do 4.4, but after some comparison I'm thinking about keeping paw gold touch and sell sp2000.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,220 of 2,420
Just got back my customs Layla made with the Luthier wood.

Strangely, there are still some rough edges around some of the curves. However the comfort level has improved and removal seems not to hurt anymore though I can still feel a bit of the rough edges.

I am honestly not sure if it’s due to the wood material. The audio distributor / reseller isn’t able to comment much as this is the second ever luthier shell made in his many ears and the first didn’t seem to have any other problems.

This is just my sharing so I will update again if it calls for concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back