JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,682 of 2,420
Has anyone compared the Moon Audio cables with others (Whiplash, Plussound, etc.) when used with JH Laylas? I'm looking for a different cable after not being blown away by either the Black Dragon or the Silver Dragon. The Black Dragon brought some much needed bass and warmth to my Laylas, but seemed to muddy up the rest of the frequency spectrum. Meanwhile, the Silver Dragon has a ton of detail and clarity, but the bass response is lacking even with the bass pods maxed out.

I'm looking for a cable that will bring loads of bass and warmth to the Laylas but not muddy up the mids and highs. I'm thinking copper -- either a Whiplash Twcu or a Plussound X8. Any thoughts / other suggestions?

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,683 of 2,420
  Has anyone compared the Moon Audio cables with others (Whiplash, Plussound, etc.) when used with JH Laylas? I'm looking for a different cable after not being blown away by either the Black Dragon or the Silver Dragon. The Black Dragon brought some much needed bass and warmth to my Laylas, but seemed to muddy up the rest of the frequency spectrum. Meanwhile, the Silver Dragon has a ton of detail and clarity, but the bass response is lacking even with the bass pods maxed out.

I'm looking for a cable that will bring loads of bass and warmth to the Laylas but not muddy up the mids and highs. I'm thinking copper -- either a Whiplash Twcu or a Plussound X8. Any thoughts / other suggestions?

I had Layla I with effect audio Heracles for a short period of time before I decided to sell Layla.
I think Heracles might be what you are looking for when you turn the bass boost up.
Anyways, I think Heracles goes better with Roxanne.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #1,684 of 2,420
  I had Layla I with effect audio Heracles for a short period of time before I decided to sell Layla.
I think Heracles might be what you are looking for when you turn the bass boost up.
Anyways, I think Heracles goes better with Roxanne.

Thanks -- to be honest I think the Roxanne's are a better fit for me, but since my Laylas are customs it'll be hard to sell them. I don't think any third-party reshelling service offers Layla reshells. But anyway, thanks for the suggestion; I'll have to check out Effect Audio's stuff.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a better question (rather than which cable) is whether anyone knows any reshelling services for the Laylas. I'd like to sell mine so that I can get the Roxannes, but I can't in good conscience sell customs to someone without first ensuring there's a way for the buyer to get a reshell. Anyone know? InEarz and Unique Melody won't do it, I think.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,685 of 2,420

Thanks -- to be honest I think the Roxanne's are a better fit for me, but since my Laylas are customs it'll be hard to sell them. I don't think any third-party reshelling service offers Layla reshells. But anyway, thanks for the suggestion; I'll have to check out Effect Audio's stuff.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a better question (rather than which cable) is whether anyone knows any reshelling services for the Laylas. I'd like to sell mine so that I can get the Roxannes, but I can't in good conscience sell customs to someone without first ensuring there's a way for the buyer to get a reshell. Anyone know? InEarz and Unique Melody won't do it, I think.

Perfect Seal Labs can do that. To be honest, keep layla. Find a cable that help Layla shows its full potential. I sold my Layla I because the fit was so bad. I am saving up, maybe to buy Custom Layla.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,686 of 2,420

What are you using for a source? Cables are not going to add the bass you are looking for if you have the bass tuners at max.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,687 of 2,420
Source is Fiio X7 with AM3 module, in balanced mode. I don't think it's the source, as the Black Dragon cable (silver plated copper) provided the bass I was looking for -- it simply muddied up the rest, though. The Silver Dragon cable doesn't have as much bass as I'd like, but I'm attributing that to it being a silver cable (which aren't known for bass response) and not the source. Or am I missing something...

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,688 of 2,420
  Source is Fiio X7 with AM3 module, in balanced mode. I don't think it's the source, as the Black Dragon cable (silver plated copper) provided the bass I was looking for -- it simply muddied up the rest, though. The Silver Dragon cable doesn't have as much bass as I'd like, but I'm attributing that to it being a silver cable (which aren't known for bass response) and not the source. Or am I missing something...

I personally have not tried the X7, but I am fairly certain you will get more difference in sound from trying a different source versus cable. You made the comments of "muddied sound" and that is something I can identify with and due to sources that I've tried. I put the following in muddied category:

1. AK100ii thru AK240
  2. Onkyo DP-X1

The "clear" category of DACs and amps that I have personally tried:
  1. Chord Mojo
  2. ALO CDM
  3. LH Labs GOV2+
  4. AQ DFR
  5. Vorzuge Pure II+

You can easily blow $500-600 for a custom cable so I would suggest you try different sources first. On the low end, the AQ DFR is only $200 and it is not lacking on the low end with great clarity in the mids and highs. It is single though.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,689 of 2,420

Search eBay user name dtses14, his silver wire work wonder

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,690 of 2,420
Hello all,

I've posted a review of the JH Layla 1 here

http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-jh-audio-siren-series-layla/reviews/16995

Here are some of the photos of the Layla as well:

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,693 of 2,420
Oct 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,695 of 2,420
  Hello all,

I've posted a review of the JH Layla 1 here

http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-jh-audio-siren-series-layla/reviews/16995

Excellent review!

Agree on price and relatively flat sound. On the later, I find the CDM really gives a warm organic sound to the Laylas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back