JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,501 of 2,420
I have a question that you may find odd: on a 12-driver system, can you notice it if one of the driver dies?  
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,505 of 2,420
  Just got the Black Dragon for my Layla
biggrin.gif

Connectors feel tighter. Overall smaller profile and flexible

How's the sound as compared to the original stock cable?

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,507 of 2,420
  I don't like that the Black Dragon has a shorter length y-split, reminds me of the old earsonics cable. BTW, I haven't compared them I'm too lazy to switch them from the Angies. 
biggrin.gif

Totally agree with you. They should have done it longer for the y-split section. It's not that comfortable sometime.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #1,508 of 2,420
I personally prefer the shorter y-split of the Black Dragon. It allows me to attach my shirt clip to my collar like I used to do with my SE846s.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,509 of 2,420
  How's the sound as compared to the original stock cable?

I'll get back to you on that. The sound is different in a good way but I want to describe it properly after I figure things out a bit more

And yes the y-split is noticeably shorter... not sure whether I like it or not at this point. One thing I do miss is that angled connector... the straight connector sticks out.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,510 of 2,420

After five days with them, I think I know what you are talking about. Until I received my Laylas I did most of my editing work with a set of heavily modified T-50RPs. Those cans out perform nearly everything at my disposal but they are too big and bulky to travel with. I was even more blown away by how great they sounded straight out of my iphone. It wasn't until I plugged them into my recording rig that I started noticing this dark veil to the sound. I chalked it up to a need for burn-in or a brain adjustment and kept working. It wasn't until today when I had time to sit down and really listen to music and play around with the equipment that I'm traveling with.

Sidenote: I'm truly nitpicking at this point. These headphones are glorious. They are everything that I've wanted in a TOTL can in a portable setup that won't take up my entire carry on allowance.

My portable studio setup is MBP->Apogee Quartet->Layla. And straight out of the headphone jack where my PlanarFrankenCans sound amazing the Layla seems covered and bottled up. So I started A/Bing tracks using my iphone 6+, my GO-DAP DD Socket 1 (MUSE02), and my FiiO amp (hey... it's all I've got on the road with me).

Straight out of my iPhone Layla sounds pretty good. The veil is gone, but the soundstage is still a little tight. But I was encouraged by the change in the sound signature so I kept experimenting. As soon as I added the DD and the FiiO into the mix I nearly leapt out of my chair. All of the clarity and soundstage hype was exploding into my cranium. Further encouraged by the changes I added the FiiO to my signal chain for my recording rig (MBP-Quartet-FiiO-Layla). The upside is that the sonic clarity and soundstage are everything you expect and so much more. The downside is that my poor FiiO, which was always the weak link, puts out a mild hiss. It's not so bad that it ruins everything but it's there.

At this point, my only conclusion is that these things are ridiculously power hungry. And Layla gets hangry. Feed her. Feed her well and she will keep you happy.

Thanks for the reply. I have been experimenting with the chord mojo for the past few days and the sound signature has improved significantly. So far, I am liking what I am hearing. However, the music from iTunes lacks the same impact with the mojo in comparison to my iPhone + mojo. Is this a typical discrepancy? 

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,511 of 2,420
Thanks for the reply. I have been experimenting with the chord mojo for the past few days and the sound signature has improved significantly. So far, I am liking what I am hearing. However, the music from iTunes lacks the same impact with the mojo in comparison to my iPhone + mojo. Is this a typical discrepancy? 

Please try with iAudioGate app.
This is another impressive

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,514 of 2,420
  That's true SQ wise, but the K10 is 10 times more usable and fun.  Since you are going for balanced (neutral?) SQ and cost of Layla (II?), you might just as well take a good look at the Shure KSE1500.  The down side of the KSE1500 is that it holds no punches, and will show pretty much every single flaw in your source and mastering of your music.  I know this is a Layla thread, but I do think what I am saying about the Layla is fair.

usable and fun in what way? I have never heard the k10s before and im really dying to find out if the k10 is going to suit my needs. i am not an expert so lets just say i prefer the sound of angie over the laylas. Thank you! =)

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,515 of 2,420
  usable and fun in what way? I have never heard the k10s before and im really dying to find out if the k10 is going to suit my needs. i am not an expert so lets just say i prefer the sound of angie over the laylas. Thank you! =)

The K10U, at least my original version, is a lot lighter and smaller then the current JH line up, so it stays in your ears much easier, and the same for getting aftermarket cables.  I don't know about the Angie, but in stock from the bass from K10 isn't as strong, but it REALY kicks once you amp it a little compare to the Roxanne with half bass.  Personally, I like the K10's treble over my Layla, but its mid is still a little behind from the Layla, so if you want vocal then stick with JH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back