JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,261 of 2,420
There are a few discount scenarios for the carbon versions of Layla:

1. Headfi FS  - I've seen a couple for sale every month since Sep
  2. Headfi WTB - post on classified and convince a current universal owner to sell to you so they can fund customs
  3. Open box - I've seen as low a $1999 at buydig.com
  4. eBay promotion - there is a chance eBay will run a 5% discount promotion on electronics. This is hard to predict.
  5. Discontinued discount after Layla II start shipping - highly speculative and something you don't see often with either AK or JH. Even if they do, it will be a year or more out.

One thing you risk now is having to pay $2699 for Layla II if you are unable to find a current Layla so I would not wait too long.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,262 of 2,420
So, got a new pair of Laylas which AK Korea took a month to exchange for me, the build quality is much better and consistent this time around, no imbalanced placement of the face plates, both sides sit flush to the body, although the edges where the shell meets the faceplate are not smooth and have teeth like patterns, but overall it is acceptable. 

The crack still happens when running balanced out of AK for specific songs at a high enough volume, but since I sold my AK120II to AK380, perhaps due to more power from the 380, I did not need to turn the volume up quite as much as I did with the 120ii (above 120 with the old DAP and below 120 with the new DAP), resulting in very rare instances where the cracking materializes itself. I have mentioned before that even my 846 paired with a balanced cable produced the same cracking at the same places in the same songs so it does not seem like a Layla-specific problem.

The Layla sounds much better through the AK380 and even slightly better with the 380 amp, I am now looking forward to acquiring a Plussound cable for it: either the X8 Silver Gold or the X8 Gold Plated Silver. The former makes the sound more dynamic, robust and strong while the latter smoothes out the mids to a level where no sibilance or sharpness / harshness exist and is generally more listenable but less dynamic compared to the first. The latter is the flagship and costs considerably more than the former. Still unable to decide and will have to go back and do blind testing and try both with more range of songs. 

Have to say though, the Layla running balanced out of 380 with the PlusSound cables is stupendously good. It produces very thick, velvety-smooth mids, has staggering soundstage and a sense of warp-around-the-head 'envelop-ness', but still fetches tremendous amount of details while being warm and tubey and not analytical. I tried the KSE 1500 and while it did out micro-detailed the Layla and have it beat in terms of clarity, it does not get close to it in terms of soudstage, sounding huge or emotionally involving.  

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,263 of 2,420
Have to say though, the Layla running balanced out of 380 with the PlusSound cables is stupendously good. It produces very thick, velvety-smooth mids, has staggering soundstage and a sense of warp-around-the-head 'envelop-ness', but still fetches tremendous amount of details while being warm and tubey and not analytical. I tried the KSE 1500 and while it did out micro-detailed the Layla and have it beat in terms of clarity, it does not get close to it in terms of soudstage, sounding huge or emotionally involving.  

Glad to hear you have a happy-ending with Layla.

Yeah she's so beautiful... singing like an angel everyday for me. The perfection of reference/beautiful sound for me.

I can never get tired of this... emotionally I'm thrilled everyday listening. Not even sure how this is possible as it's human tendency to get sick of things. The sound is staggering... even out of something humble like the AK JR
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,264 of 2,420
  Glad to hear you have a happy-ending with Layla.

Yeah she's so beautiful... singing like an angel everyday for me. The perfection of reference/beautiful sound for me.

I can never get tired of this... emotionally I'm thrilled everyday listening. Not even sure how this is possible as it's human tendency to get sick of things. The sound is staggering... even out of something humble like the AK JR
biggrin.gif

I know you were extremely busy with work before but just out of curiosity, did you happen to find the time to do the cracking test? Of course the cracking problem is momentarily solved after I changed to 380 and amp but I could still reproduce it if volume gets loud enough lol 

Have you upgraded the cable for your Layla? The cables that I am considering augments the Layla to that 'staggering' level you're probably talking about, where everything sounds impossibly full, wide, euphoric, warm, almost (dare I say colored) because of the incredibly thickness and warmth, yet still sounds kind of neutral and tonally balance whilst rendering impressive details. My 846s are still more fun, packs more punch and are more appropriate for rock and pop though, while the Laylas really excel with audiophile vocals, jazz and classical.     

I'm kind of glad that I got this carbon fiber version 'old' Layla, since the new full metal jacket Layla II doesn't look quite as unique or high-end to me, just all silver and nothing special, notwithstanding the more solid build quality. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,265 of 2,420
  I know you were extremely busy with work before but just out of curiosity, did you happen to find the time to do the cracking test? Of course the cracking problem is momentarily solved after I changed to 380 and amp but I could still reproduce it if volume gets loud enough lol 

Have you upgraded the cable for your Layla? The cables that I am considering augments the Layla to that 'staggering' level you're probably talking about, where everything sounds impossibly full, wide, euphoric, warm, almost (dare I say colored) because of the incredibly thickness and warmth, yet still sounds kind of neutral and tonally balance whilst rendering impressive details. My 846s are still more fun, packs more punch and are more appropriate for rock and pop though, while the Laylas really excel with audiophile vocals, jazz and classical.     

I'm kind of glad that I got this carbon fiber version 'old' Layla, since the new full metal jacket Layla II doesn't look quite as unique or high-end to me, just all silver and nothing special, notwithstanding the more solid build quality. 

I sent you a PM about the cracking test but didn't hear back from you. I actually sold my AK100ii with the intention of getting the AK320, but I was given a brand new AK Jr and decided to use it while I save up for the AK380... maybe even the copper version.

The JR is actually quite good... I'm kind of shocked at how good it sounds with the Layla, very emotionally involving and lively compared to the AK100ii. It's well worth the money they're charging. I'm kind of surprised it's not more popular on Head-Fi

I'm actually curious about the Moon Dragon cable for it. The price seems reasonable and it looks like they have JH's blessings. Although I don't like dealing with Moon Audio...

Yes, the Layla is impossibly full, wide, euphonic, lacking nothing, with a sense of impossible air/seperation not possible in this kind of velvety/sweet/smooth sound. There is nothing quite like it... it's like the LCD-2 and HD800 had an awesome baby that's better than both parents in everyway. Haha.

I used to have the SE846... and the IE800 and K3003... and honest none of those interest me anymore... just can't get enough Layla. These mortals don't compare to the singing angel that is Layla.

I'm happy about the carbon fiber and sexy burnt titanium bezel. I'm glad I got a perfectly built/sounding one before they switched over. It's a masterpiece. I like the Layla so much I wouldn't mind buying a 2nd Layla, the new Layla 2 in titanium. But that would be totally insane...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would need to make a nice bonus or something for that to even be a possibilitiy, haha.

Also the new Cowon Plenue S is all the rage in Korea right now, with some claiming it's better than the AK380... gotta go audition that first and see if I can save some pennies  

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,266 of 2,420
Hello guys,

First, i don't think they will stop producing the old Siren Series, since neither JH Audio nor A&K have declared so.

I would like to know how to fully test Layla's drivers. i suspect that one of the High BA drivers is damaged/defected. There are songs where Layla shows off her full capabilities, while there are songs it just fail to impress me, and start to suspect its reputation :D.

Again i find myself struggling on how to judge, whether it is the recording or Layla itself. Perhaps, it could be the player; AK240SS in this case,
or the cables. 

So i would like to know if there is a way to fully test Layla's drivers. Is there a song that would determine that? if yes, what is it? and at what volume should i be listening at. and what is the format?

Thanks,

Joseph.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,267 of 2,420
Faceplate on one side (the side with AK logo) fell off on my universal Layla. Don't feel like sending it back for repair - may take quite a while looking at people's experience with JH here. What kind of glue should I use so that the plate won't stick out yet making sure it won't fall off again? This time I got lucky because it fell off at home. I didn't even notice until after a while but luckily I found the face plate at home. Thanks heaps in advance.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,268 of 2,420
Faceplate on one side (the side with AK logo) fell off on my universal Layla. Don't feel like sending it back for repair - may take quite a while looking at people's experience with JH here. What kind of glue should I use so that the plate won't stick out yet making sure it won't fall off again? This time I got lucky because it fell off at home. I didn't even notice until after a while but luckily I found the face plate at home. Thanks heaps in advance.

Picture please.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,270 of 2,420
  Hello guys,

First, i don't think they will stop producing the old Siren Series, since neither JH Audio nor A&K have declared so.

I would like to know how to fully test Layla's drivers. i suspect that one of the High BA drivers is damaged/defected. There are songs where Layla shows off her full capabilities, while there are songs it just fail to impress me, and start to suspect its reputation :D.

Again i find myself struggling on how to judge, whether it is the recording or Layla itself. Perhaps, it could be the player; AK240SS in this case,
or the cables. 

So i would like to know if there is a way to fully test Layla's drivers. Is there a song that would determine that? if yes, what is it? and at what volume should i be listening at. and what is the format?

Thanks,

Joseph.

I've had this same thought and I think at this level (I have the Layla + AK380), it's down to the recordings. The same way pieces of equipment synergize, pieces of music can synergize with the gear (I.E. some music just sounds better with certain headphones). Coming from my collection's previous flagship, the LCD 2.2's, Layla just can't match the way the Audeze's make everything sound good.

It's really one of the reasons I like headphones so much, each new headphone is a chance to discover new music and rediscover old music.

Regarding the Laylas, specifically, there was that time when the high frequency tube was clogged on one side and it made everything sound unbalanced.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #1,271 of 2,420
  Layla + Mojo and Pure II + is unbelievably good. The Moon Black Dragon cable is really nice as well, like it much better than the stock JH cables. 

Please can you describe the sonical difference between Layla driven from Mojo alone / Mojo + Pure II ?

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,273 of 2,420

I've had this same thought and I think at this level (I have the Layla + AK380), it's down to the recordings. The same way pieces of equipment synergize, pieces of music can synergize with the gear (I.E. some music just sounds better with certain headphones). Coming from my collection's previous flagship, the LCD 2.2's, Layla just can't match the way the Audeze's make everything sound good.

It's really one of the reasons I like headphones so much, each new headphone is a chance to discover new music and rediscover old music.

Regarding the Laylas, specifically, there was that time when the high frequency tube was clogged on one side and it made everything sound unbalanced.

To be precise, I don't like how Layla produce the sound of Sia's Dressed In Black. But i do like it producing Beck's The Golden Age SACD. I don't know if it is related to the recording or one of the drivers ( high freq one ) is damaged/defected. Since in Sia the trebles is so pronounced. And Organs from Hans ZImmer's Interstellar, is too badly produced by Layla.

To be honest, i noticed this with every BA drivers iem i have. 

i wish it's recording related problem...

do you have anyspecial song that would test the capabilities of iems? i heard Jazz at the pawnshop is a good recording to test... but still looking for more options.

thanks. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,274 of 2,420
it is better to send it back to be honest. i know it will take long. but let someone professional do it for you. damn i thought they say full carbon fibers shell ..... 

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,275 of 2,420

Please can you describe the sonical difference between Layla driven from Mojo alone / Mojo + Pure II ?

Well I had the Pure II+ before I got the Mojo so honestly I hadn't actually tried the Mojo solo yet until seeing you're question lol.

After a quick A/B test the Pure II more than anything seems to smooth out any harshness or sibilance in the highs or high mids. So nothing drastic but to anyone experiencing sibilance or harshness on certain tracks it definitely tames that. Aside from that I don't notice much of a difference, maybe brings a little more clarity but Mojo alone still brings great clarity and detail. 

In conclusion I'd say unless you're experiencing sibilance issues, the Pure II+ doesn't offer enough of a sound improvement over Mojo alone to warrant a purchase in my opinion. That said given the choice I do prefer Mojo paired with the Pure II as opposed to by itself. For me it allows Layla to be more of an all purpose IEM where as sometimes before it would not sound good with certain recordings. 

Thats my very unprofessional take but Bflat who likely knows more than I do goes into greater detail here on this combo in the link below. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752454/jh-audio-layla-impressions-thread/1185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back