JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #676 of 2,420
The Laylas I have on loan sound darker out of the AK240 than they do out of the portable amps I have. The treble opens up noticeably with an ALO Rx (latest version).

I've just tested them with the FiiO X5II and, unlike its predecessor, the Laylas work well with it, but not as well as when using an E12A or Rx. My favourite amp with them is the obscure Japanese Sound Potion Monolith.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #677 of 2,420
Laylas to me sound dark out out of any direct source I have (iPhone, AK240) and my work's DAC, Fostex HPA4. They work decently well ( I don't like dark) out of my Chord Hugo or my home systems.

Both Laylas and Roxannes are frustrating IEMs for me to deal with...both sound great when you get the source, amp, and fit right, but if anything isn't right...they can sound pretty off.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #678 of 2,420
Laylas to me sound dark out out of any direct source I have (iPhone, AK240) and my work's DAC, Fostex HPA4. They work decently well ( I don't like dark) out of my Chord Hugo or my home systems.

Both Laylas and Roxannes are frustrating IEMs for me to deal with...both sound great when you get the source, amp, and fit right, but if anything isn't right...they can sound pretty off.
Agreed...

This in itself may explain why I like the ARM2 far more than the ZX2 when using Layla, but even then adding my Vorzuge DUO opens up the treble more...

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #680 of 2,420
mmm......try the Cayin N6 + Mass Kobo 395 or 404 with the Layla using stock cable. Or the AK 240 + iFi iDSD Micro (eco mode, bit perfect filter, X bass and 3D off, iem match set  to high sensitivity).  Brighter than the AK 240 + Chord Hugo. Not dark at all.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #681 of 2,420
A personal observation of mine, despite these being BA devices, they sound at their best at high power (rather than necessarily high volume, but boy does that work too!!), I probably listen at a level that most would find borderline dangerous, but boy oh boy does Layla love it hard...

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #682 of 2,420
I have tried my Layla with several setups including my Valhalla/Bitfrost stack and Pulse Infinity.  I found that my Layla sing the best via my GO100. The AK240 is a close second.  Interestingly, with any of my setups I haven't heard the Layla be overly dark. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #683 of 2,420
Bad fit causes dark sound... I can only assume that the shape of my ear blocks the treble tube if not inserted correctly, thankfully I've got that licked now :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #684 of 2,420
Bad fit causes dark sound... I can only assume that the shape of my ear blocks the treble tube if not inserted correctly, thankfully I've got that licked now
smily_headphones1.gif

You see...that's still a pretty big problem for me. No matter how hard I try, the fit continues to be a serious issue.
 I have the right Spinfit size for me, and whenever I jam them into my ear initially, it sounds pretty fuzzy. It usually takes 5 minutes or so of frustrating fumbling before I am finally satisfied with the fit/sound quality.

I might try a different tip to see if I can get a better fit or something...but from my previous experiences, Spinfits work best for me, so I'm not sure how I'm going to solve this whole fit issue.

EDIT: I notice that one of the tubes might be partially blocked by the Spinfit tip...maybe that has something to do with the fit issue/sound quality problem.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #685 of 2,420
What I tend to do (which is now an automated process, but obviously influenced by canal shape) is to move the spinfit tip about 1-2mm from the end stop, put the Layla's in with the cable sitting forward, spin round so the hook goes over the ear, and then push the base (point nearest to the lobe) in slightly (which makes me think the treble tube is at the bottom) and all is good!!

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, just knowing how fussy / fiddly these things are, just hoping it helps :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #686 of 2,420
What I tend to do (which is now an automated process, but obviously influenced by canal shape) is to move the spinfit tip about 1-2mm from the end stop, put the Layla's in with the cable sitting forward, spin round so the hook goes over the ear, and then push the base (point nearest to the lobe) in slightly (which makes me think the treble tube is at the bottom) and all is good!!

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, just knowing how fussy / fiddly these things are, just hoping it helps
smily_headphones1.gif

I certainly appreciate the advice! I'll try it when I get home.

I think the biggest factor for me is how far I place the spinfit tip from the end. If I place it right at the end, the Layla sounds dark. If I place it too far up the tube, it'll sound thin and sibilant. Unfortunately, it's hard to keep the tip at the optimal position.

I really should probably consider add some clay or a thin piece of foam to "fix" the tip to the ideal position.

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #687 of 2,420

I certainly appreciate the advice! I'll try it when I get home.

I think the biggest factor for me is how far I place the spinfit tip from the end. If I place it right at the end, the Layla sounds dark. If I place it too far up the tube, it'll sound thin and sibilant. Unfortunately, it's hard to keep the tip at the optimal position.

I really should probably consider add some clay or a thin piece of foam to "fix" the tip to the ideal position.

I had a similar issue with the spinfit.  I eventually moved to comply tips and haven't had an issue since. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #688 of 2,420
I started on comply tips when the included silicone tips didn't work, but (for me) they really suck out the life from the treble...

YMMV

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #689 of 2,420
I think I'm starting to get the fit down regularly. Still a bit annoying to deal with, but at least it's improving.

I spent a lot of time yesterday comparing the Roxanne to the Layla. Now I'm tempted to get myself an Angie for further comparison. Blah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back