JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Apr 11, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,336 of 1,931
BTW, people have been talking about the "Spinfit" tips - do these come with the Layla/Angie?  If not, who sells them?

Jaben network has them or you can PM Dopaminer who's in Japan and can ship em and other tips worldwide.

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #1,337 of 1,931
I like the angie better too. Technically, layla is good. Musically, I feel angie is better. Music producer and music consumer has a different preference I guess.

As a roxanne owner,like you, it doesnt bring something new to my table. The JH genes are in these 3 sirens. It might make better sense to go for like k10, legend r, fad lab1, etc to broaden the dishes.

Yeah. To sum it up, when I'm listening with the Layla, I'm in awe with its technical superiority. I love its massive soundstage, and its ability to reproduce micro detail with sheer clarity. However, the sum of its parts is less than stunning, I'm afraid. I'm not enjoying the music, I'm just appreciating its wizardry.

With the Angie, I'm relishing its ability to make music sound great. I spent less time picking out aspects of its sound, but enjoying the greater whole more. In short, I was a lot more satisfied with the Angie.

I felt the same when I demoed the Layla, the Angie and compared them to my K10U. I think the Angie is the more involving IEM compared to the Layla and while I feel the Layla is overpriced (they are maybe slightly more technical compared to the two other but the difference is very very subtle, those 3 are more and less in the same league technically to my ears), I think the Angie is a very good value. Unfortunately the Angie and Layla were pretty uncomfy in my ears, those are crazy big for IEM and usually my ears are very easy going with universal fit IEMs (I fit with no problem shure, westone, fitear Togo 334, 1+2, UM Maverick, Noble universals etc...). And I don't want customs, espacially from JHA, I had the worst customer experience ever with them in the past. If Angie universals were smaller and more comfy I probably pulled the trigger allready.

Yep, I agree that the Angie represents a very good value. The Layla may best it in certain aspects, but the Angie manages to combine its parts more effectively and brilliantly. Considering that they are almost half as expensive as the Layla, I think they are a good choice for many seeking a top tier sound. They are certainly one of the IEMs that I'm looking forward to auditioning again. 
smile.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,338 of 1,931
That's the thing about phones that are for mastering, listening to its technical ability gets old quickly at least for me. I enjoy a more musically engaging sound which lasts and is more about getting into the music, not going, wow, what detailed noises, etc.

Maybe the Layla is what JHA says it is, a tool used for mastering. The Angie/Roxanne for listening pleasure.

I'm glad it exists because options are nice, but I don't have a use for it.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,339 of 1,931
That's the thing about phones that are for mastering, listening to its technical ability gets old quickly at least for me. I enjoy a more musically engaging sound which lasts and is more about getting into the music, not going, wow, what detailed noises, etc.

Maybe the Layla is what JHA says it is, a tool used for mastering. The Angie/Roxanne for listening pleasure.

Well said. In that regard, I think Jerry has pulled off a double winner. The Layla is great for its intended purpose - you'll be hard pressed to find an IEM better suited for mastering. On the other hand, the Angie retains some of the JH house sound, ensuring that while it is technically brilliant, albeit less so than the Layla, it still stays true to the JH credo of fun and an engaging tone.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,340 of 1,931

+1

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,341 of 1,931
anyone here who owns both K3003 and angie ? impressions ?

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,342 of 1,931

. . . but, but, but uber details, precise imaging, and impressive sound-stages (head-stages) are fun and engaging . . . 
ksc75smile.gif

I'm half joking here, but all these comments just serves to reinforce the obvious---that music enjoyment through our preferred audio courtesans is very much so an individualized fetish.

For me, I want to hear it all!: the deep, body rattling crashes of timpanis and other assorted acoustical animals searing my ear drums with sonic subterranean goodness; the ultra rich details of the midrange---where most of the music lives---thrilling every fiber of my being; and the sweet, clear, scintillating highs of well crafted treble notes shining through in undistorted glory.

I love phones/monitors that are so crisp in detail that it is easy to appreciate the differences between singers with good voices as opposed to those who's voices are truly awesome acoustical instruments. I love to hear instruments coming through as clear and as authentic as though a real live band was playing before me.

I am well aware from countless past conversations with Head-fiers that some prefer to have those details toned down while their working or otherwise occupied like as a sort of background music environment. Some prefer to reserve uber details for more intense listening sessions. You have your bass-head aficionados who can't live without subsonic frequencies rattling their bones. Technically, I suppose I qualify as a bass-head . . . sort of, but I simply refuse! to just enjoy sub bass sounds at the expense of detail-rich mids & highs. The whole auditory frequency spectrum (and, at the sub bass level, some of the subterranean frequencies) has to be present to serve my music enjoyment. I mean, how the hell else can a body live!?! 
ksc75smile.gif

It's so great that Head-fi holds meets, and there are more & more audio stores that allow music lovers to audition phones/monitors as a vehicle to search out the devices that best serve our true music sweet spots. Forget about the flavor of the month crowd and other assorted nonsense and strive to sync with your inner musical voices! Live your own life and have it all . . . musically!!! 
basshead.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,343 of 1,931
Originally Posted by Marshal Banana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt the same when I demoed the Layla, the Angie and compared them to my K10U. I think the Angie is the more involving IEM compared to the Layla and while I feel the Layla is overpriced (they are maybe slightly more technical compared to the two other but the difference is very very subtle, those 3 are more and less in the same league technically to my ears), I think the Angie is a very good value. Unfortunately the Angie and Layla were pretty uncomfy in my ears, those are crazy big for IEM and usually my ears are very easy going with universal fit IEMs (I fit with no problem shure, westone, fitear Togo 334, 1+2, UM Maverick, Noble universals etc...). And I don't want customs, espacially from JHA, I had the worst customer experience ever with them in the past. If Angie universals were smaller and more comfy I probably pulled the trigger allready.

Can you do a comparison between K10U, Angie and Layla.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,344 of 1,931

I do I wish I were there, and I'm not trying to extrapolate too much from this, but one guy already specifically said the bass dial was on high when he listened and for whatever reason didn't change it.  I hope that most people were able to listen by playing with the dial and seeing how that affects the sound.

I have read your impressions post, but it seems there is just the one line about Layla (at least in that post)?  Impressions on Angie and Layla are still fairly rare, so if you or anyone else has the time to write something (however brief), it would be much appreciated.

The dealer I was taking to (not where I purchased) said specifically that AK raised the dealer cost significantly, not because of the exchange rate. I've purchased many(expensive) items from this dealer in the past and find him to be honest and have no reason to doubt what he says.

Edit: However, it's highly likey that AK wants to increase the price because of the strong US dollar and is passing that to the dealer. Either way I jumped in while there was stock at a lower price.
biggrin.gif

I heard the same thing.  Apparently AK not JH Audio raised the dealer prices by 35%.  It's outrageous just making this another unafordable hobby for the average person!   Simple greed!

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,345 of 1,931
I agree pricey are crazy for the average person it's not at all a cheap hobby, but there making money it's if they were cheaper they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand they can't get there products out now.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,346 of 1,931

Can you do a comparison between K10U, Angie and Layla.

I think those 3 are pretty close in sound signature, all 3 are close to neutral; all 3 have a crazy good resolution and, a very wide and deep soundstage for BA based IEMs. Maybe the best IEMs I'ved heard so far along with Fitear MH335DWSR and Vision Ears VE6 X control.
The Layla is the most serious one of the 3, the most "trully neutral". The Angie has a slitghly drier sound and a little bit more energy, especially in the medium section, with high-mids slightly and nicely emphasized. It's very easy to enjoy sound, very engaging but still very different from the JHA "rock friendly" house sound (JH13, JH16, Roxanne).
The K10U is the lusher one, with mid slightly warmer from the two others and a groovier bass section. It's a very liquid sound. All 3 are great allrounders.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,348 of 1,931

You're probably right. I had Roxanne and Angie (both universals) and they were definitely fun to listen. But i'm looking for a reference iem and for that purpose they were not useful. I actually heard many complains about LCD-X - quite similar to complains about Layla and i must say it's a good thing for me as LCD-X is my favourite and most useful headphones ever. I love listen to music them and i can work on them - WIN WIN. If Layla is anywhere near i will definitely buy them. If Layla is still far behind full sized that means my dream about having purely portable working environment will dissolve into despair :)

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,349 of 1,931
  How would the Layla compare to the Noble K10?

The Layla has a wider and deeper soundstage. It is more 3-dimensional and instrument separation is a tad better as a result. It also resolves micro detail a little better than the K10. It has an overly warm and clinical tone, though.

The K10 on the other hand has a fuller and rounder tonality with better bass texture and presentation. Bass and treble extension are on par with the Layla, but the midrange has more presence and authority.

The 2 are very different in sound, and most who love the K10's sound would probably shy away from the Layla, and vice versa.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,350 of 1,931
When people describe a headphone as "clinical" or "analytical" or say they're good for monitoring, the headphone they're describing tends to be a bit brighter than headphones people describe as "musical."  But I've seen several times now people describing the Laylas as both "clinical" and "warm."  Weird.  Can anyone describe what it is about the sound that makes them seem clinical to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back