JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Mar 29, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,173 of 1,931

I had the pleasure of auditioning both today at CanJam.  If the Angie was an appetizer-- The Layla was the main course.  I've spent the past 4 years (give or take) with the UERM.  I use them for field audio work, on planes, and at my desk where I need to block out the world and write.  The Layla is a clear cut above.  I don't know if I'd use them for reference-- the pair I auditioned had the bass cranked-- which is a no-no in the audio field.  But the experience was heaven.  Let's start with-- how the heck to you accurately time 12 freaking drivers?  It's gotta be like whack-a-mole from an engineering perspective.  But whatever, they did it.  Where these headphones stand out is in imaging and soundstage.  It's the closest thing I've heard in an in ear-- to an over the ear experience.  That's a huge compliment.  And unfortunately (for me) they left my UERMs in the dust.  Now normally I'd say-- easy solution-- sell the UERM and apply cash to get the Layla.  Can't do much with customs.  This is gonna be expensive.  I would highly advise spending the extra $500 and getting customs.  They should (in theory) sound better and more important-- it's a built in anti-theft device.  They won't fit anyone else's ears so your fancy headphones won't walk off to the first pair of sticky fingers walking past.  I want them, but alas, Layla will have to wait for me.  Maybe next year.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,174 of 1,931

I had the pleasure of auditioning both today at CanJam.  If the Angie was an appetizer-- The Layla was the main course.  I've spent the past 4 years (give or take) with the UERM.  I use them for field audio work, on planes, and at my desk where I need to block out the world and write.  The Layla is a clear cut above.  I don't know if I'd use them for reference-- the pair I auditioned had the bass cranked-- which is a no-no in the audio field.  But the experience was heaven.  Let's start with-- how the heck to you accurately time 12 freaking drivers?  It's gotta be like whack-a-mole from an engineering perspective.  But whatever, they did it.  Where these headphones stand out is in imaging and soundstage.  It's the closest thing I've heard in an in ear-- to an over the ear experience.  That's a huge compliment.  And unfortunately (for me) they left my UERMs in the dust.  Now normally I'd say-- easy solution-- sell the UERM and apply cash to get the Layla.  Can't do much with customs.  This is gonna be expensive.  I would highly advise spending the extra $500 and getting customs.  They should (in theory) sound better and more important-- it's a built in anti-theft device.  They won't fit anyone else's ears so your fancy headphones won't walk off to the first pair of sticky fingers walking past.  I want them, but alas, Layla will have to wait for me.  Maybe next year.

For those on a 'limited' budget, would you mind sharing how filling the Angie appetizer was compared to the Layla main course?

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,175 of 1,931
For those on a 'limited' budget, would you mind sharing how filling the Angie appetizer was compared to the Layla main course?

Honestly, it was tough to get a crystal clear read on the Angie.  You know there's going to be less bass presence because there are fewer drivers down low.  But the AK guys had the Angie's bass setting cranked up to the max, which gave them a bit of bass bloat (read: muddier and oversaturated).  The detail and soundstage were similar to the Layla, which is to say: ah-mazing.  But I'd predict the bass to be a bit less present, more along the lines of my UERMs, if the bass setting (It's a small pot on the cable adjustable only with a jeweler's screwdriver) was at a normal level.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,177 of 1,931
Honestly, it was tough to get a crystal clear read on the Angie.  You know there's going to be less bass presence because there are fewer drivers down low.  But the AK guys had the Angie's bass setting cranked up to the max, which gave them a bit of bass bloat (read: muddier and oversaturated).  The detail and soundstage were similar to the Layla, which is to say: ah-mazing.  But I'd predict the bass to be a bit less present, more along the lines of my UERMs, if the bass setting (It's a small pot on the cable adjustable only with a jeweler's screwdriver) was at a normal level.

Didn't expect the bass to compete, but very glad to hear about the detail and soundstage. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,178 of 1,931

beerchug.gif
 Angie seemed like a genuine value. It's not like these new Sirens sound enhanced either. Besides the clarity and timing, you just don't feel like you're listening 'to' them but 'through' them when the bass control is in the appropriate position. Doesn't take but a short listen with something decent to understand these are great phones.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,180 of 1,931

beerchug.gif
 Angie seemed like a genuine value. It's not like these new Sirens sound enhanced either. Besides the clarity and timing, you just don't feel like you're listening 'to' them but 'through' them when the bass control is in the appropriate position. Doesn't take but a short listen with something decent to understand these are great phones.

1:00?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,181 of 1,931
Has anyone heard the Angie and Roxanne? How do they compare?

I too was at CamJam and demoed the Angies, Leylas, and Roxannes.
Take this with a grain of salt but I found the Roxannes to be more fun and the Angies and Leylas more analytical as they should be since they are reference grade.
The Roxannes are tuned for live performances thus a different sound signature all together.

For my type of listening, the Roxannes were up my alley.

I hope this helps

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,182 of 1,931
Has anyone heard the Angie and Roxanne? How do they compare?

I actually had both for a while. They're different beasts. Angie was more balanced and neutral to my ears but Roxanne has more impact (in the bass area) and better texture  whereas it'd be hard to point out the clear winner. I had one problem with Roxanne - the texture goes up to the mid-bass and it made some albums hard to listen - to be honest i couldn't listen to the new Bjork record as the "thickness" was all over the vocals and they sounded hazy most of the time. I really enjoyed that album on Angie. Same with some of the Mastodon records wheres a lot of things going on. I absolutely enjoy it on Angie (again). 
But with some electronic and r'n'b music Roxanne was great. The impact was incredible and after few hours with Roxanne all other headphones/earphones was sounding "cheap" - but event with that in conclusion it's hard for me to get over that "thickness".

If i could i'd keep them both. If just one i'd be Angie - it's just my preference.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,183 of 1,931

I too was at CamJam and demoed the Angies, Leylas, and Roxannes.
Take this with a grain of salt but I found the Roxannes to be more fun and the Angies and Leylas more analytical as they should be since they are reference grade.
The Roxannes are tuned for live performances thus a different sound signature all together.

As it should be. No point in them all sounding the same. I'd go the other way. Viva la difference.
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,184 of 1,931
I would go further and put the Layla's in my top 5 headphones of all-time (regardless if they are IEMs 
redface.gif
).

Glad I waited, the Layla's are a game changer IMO.

+1

I was thinking the same thing. It makes one question what the purpose of a giant desktop rig is. I actually prefer the Layla to all full-sized headphones I've tried just purely based on sonics. The sound is mind-blowing. So it's basically my #1 in my nine-year headphone journey. The form factor and how nice it feels when worn is an added bonus. I do see the need for perhaps a nice HD800 rig if one is home a lot but one should definitely get the Layla first if there is any outside listening to be done. The only thing missing in my life now is a Hugo or AK120ii or both. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back