Jh Audio Jolene Impressions and Discussion
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #961 of 1,253
Anyone had any issues with the sockets/cable? Or quality control in general?

My socket has failed (loose) over time. What I thought was an issue in my ear when I turned my head was actually the socket, and then I saw bent and broken pins when I unplugged it!

And to think I mainly bought Jolene over UM MEST MKII because of concerns about a non-recessed 2-pin socket!

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #962 of 1,253
Anyone had any issues with the sockets/cable? Or quality control in general?

My socket has failed (loose) over time. What I thought was an issue in my ear when I turned my head was actually the socket, and then I saw bent and broken pins when I unplugged it!

And to think I mainly bought Jolene over UM MEST MKII because of concerns about a non-recessed 2-pin socket!
Sorry to hear that, man. I’ve cable-rolled my 7-pin Jolene’s and Layla’s a bunch, and I haven’t had any issues at all. There was only one occasion where I pushed the connector a bit too quick and at a slight angle into the Jolene, which slightly bent one of the pins. But, I was able to very easily bend it back with a needle, and I didn’t experience any signal cut-outs either. On the bright side, at least it’s only the cable you need to replace, rather than the IEM. I hope you can work something out with JH there.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #963 of 1,253
I cable rolled my Layla’s a few times as well, between 4.4 and 2.5/3.5. Haven’t noticed any issues as well.

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #964 of 1,253
I notice you also have the 64 Audio A12T. How do the Jolene stack up against these ?

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #965 of 1,253
I notice you also have the 64 Audio A12T. How do the Jolene stack up against these ?
On a really simple way, they are completely different IEMs. A12t being more warm and intimate. Jolene being a bit brighter and more open.

For songs like Gojira - Born For One Thing and Ghost - Cirice… as a summary of many heavy drums and bass guitars I miss the big punch of the Lower mids high bass on the Jolene. On the other hand, high mids sounds quite open and the detailed. A12t sounds full and heavy on those songs, as I would want it to sound now. Depending on the mood and songs I want that heavy and fast hit of the A12t

On an extreme opposite on Melody Gardot - Live in Europe, with the Jolene I feel like sitting in the front row of a theatre watching her show. With the A12t feels like the whole stage was put on a recording room. Everything sounds closer and and less spacious and separated as the Jolene.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #966 of 1,253
On a really simple way, they are completely different IEMs. A12t being more warm and intimate. Jolene being a bit brighter and more open.

For songs like Gojira - Born For One Thing and Ghost - Cirice… as a summary of many heavy drums and bass guitars I miss the big punch of the Lower mids high bass on the Jolene. On the other hand, high mids sounds quite open and the detailed. A12t sounds full and heavy on those songs, as I would want it to sound now. Depending on the mood and songs I want that heavy and fast hit of the A12t

On an extreme opposite on Melody Gardot - Live in Europe, with the Jolene I feel like sitting in the front row of a theatre watching her show. With the A12t feels like the whole stage was put on a recording room. Everything sounds closer and and less spacious and separated as the Jolene.
Interesting impression! I had the U12T long time back so I cant really compare, although I sold them since I found them a bit boring on the top end, it could be due to the Leo II cable I was pairing it with too. But I actually dont find the Jolene bright at all, could be because I am used to listening to Luna for some time now. But they are spacious and airy!

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #967 of 1,253
Interesting impression! I had the U12T long time back so I cant really compare, although I sold them since I found them a bit boring on the top end, it could be due to the Leo II cable I was pairing it with too. But I actually dont find the Jolene bright at all, could be because I am used to listening to Luna for some time now. But they are spacious and airy!
That can be the case. All my current IEMs has a warmer signature, compared to Jolene, so the deep in the lower mid/high bass a is more evident when comparing them. That brings the high mids more forward compared 12t or Layla for example. I totally agree on the “boring” 12t, but that signature is great for my music style. Nothing exceptional, just do it right for what I like.

PS.: I stopped doing comparison some time ago as it takes my music enjoyment out. So my IEMs are more of a mood of the day, than speciality of each one. So take my comments with a grain of salt. ;P

Dec 18, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #968 of 1,253
PS.: I stopped doing comparison some time ago as it takes my music enjoyment out. So my IEMs are more of a mood of the day, than speciality of each one. So take my comments with a grain of salt. ;P

Couldn't agree more regarding comparisons, it's a quick way to kill your new set of IEMs as you nearly always focus on what they do poorly compared to the other set rather than highlighting the positives and you come away disappointed.

Interested to find out how people are getting on with Jolene now you've had a chance to listen to them for a while?

I've left mine playing around the clock as I do believe burn in helps dynamic drivers but that's obviously just my opinion. I've been listening to a lot of different music on them trying to figure out what works well. So far I think my best experience with them has been with acoustic or folk type music. Guitars really steal the show and each instrument has a definite position on the stage. A good example here is Hurt by Johhny Cash. You have an acoustic guitar playing to your left and right, the piano in the background and it feels like you are sitting close to Johnny as he signs. There's an intimate feel to it all and everything sounds detailed and realistic. It sounds probably as good on Jolene as I've heard it on any iem.

For heavier music with a lot of electric guitar and drums I have found vocals to be pushed back and a little lost. Guitars and drums again sound great but vocals can be veiled. An example of this would be Fade to Black from Metallica. In the second half of the song when the electric guitars come in, they again sound great, but I feel like I'm listening to the vocals being played from the next room and it just sounds off. I'll give them more playtime to see how that develops.

Some other observations - I haven't found them to scale well with more power. Connected to the Cayin C9 the solid-state amp tended to make them sound a little bright or harsh at times while the tubes/ Class A combo which usually pairs well with dynamic driver iems sounded a little flat. By far the best source was the SP2000.

It's definitely been a case of finding music that works really well and some that doesn't so far. How has everyone else been finding them?

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #969 of 1,253
It's definitely been a case of finding music that works really well and some that doesn't so far. How has everyone else been finding them?
Im the type that when I like an IEM, I find it works well enough for most everything I listen to.

That said, rock/alternative really seems to shine with the Jolene, which would almost make sense given how Jerry Harvey got started and that they market these as "an ode to analog". While vocals are maybe a little back in the mix, they dont really get lost to me, and the physicality of all the DD's really gives some weight to kick drums.

I will say though that imaging/soundstage on these still throws my brain for a loop even though I have had them for a number of months now. I dont know if its from the fit or what, but instruments that image on the right sometimes feel like they have a different height than those on the left. And theres quite a bit of separation between left and right. It can be both a good and bad thing. Sometimes I really get lost in the music, other times I am very aware of the separation in a way that doesnt quite feel even.

Regardless of that though, for my preferences, slightly warmer sources seem to complement them. My Cayin n6ii/r01 is a little on the brighter side but still sounds good, but even the much cheaper ifi go blu still sounds great with the Jolene, or you know, vice versa.

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #970 of 1,253
Couldn't agree more regarding comparisons, it's a quick way to kill your new set of IEMs as you nearly always focus on what they do poorly compared to the other set rather than highlighting the positives and you come away disappointed.

Interested to find out how people are getting on with Jolene now you've had a chance to listen to them for a while?

I've left mine playing around the clock as I do believe burn in helps dynamic drivers but that's obviously just my opinion. I've been listening to a lot of different music on them trying to figure out what works well. So far I think my best experience with them has been with acoustic or folk type music. Guitars really steal the show and each instrument has a definite position on the stage. A good example here is Hurt by Johhny Cash. You have an acoustic guitar playing to your left and right, the piano in the background and it feels like you are sitting close to Johnny as he signs. There's an intimate feel to it all and everything sounds detailed and realistic. It sounds probably as good on Jolene as I've heard it on any iem.

For heavier music with a lot of electric guitar and drums I have found vocals to be pushed back and a little lost. Guitars and drums again sound great but vocals can be veiled. An example of this would be Fade to Black from Metallica. In the second half of the song when the electric guitars come in, they again sound great, but I feel like I'm listening to the vocals being played from the next room and it just sounds off. I'll give them more playtime to see how that develops.

Some other observations - I haven't found them to scale well with more power. Connected to the Cayin C9 the solid-state amp tended to make them sound a little bright or harsh at times while the tubes/ Class A combo which usually pairs well with dynamic driver iems sounded a little flat. By far the best source was the SP2000.

Armstrj2

I’ve had my Jolene’s for almost a year now, have run a number of cables types through them, used them with and without external amps, and can say they just continue to please and impress me.
Burn in makes a difference and continue to do so.

I’ve posted earlier in this thread my impressions after doing cable rolling how IMO the soundstage, timbre and vocals changed in most cases for the better, but in some cases for the worse.
I’ve exchanged thoughts with other Jolene enthusiasts and reviewers and we all seem to agree, that changing the cable will allow one to “tune” the sound of the Jolene’s.
While the stock SPC cable from JH Audio is good, I’ve read several feel the mids and vocals are not quite correct.
I can tell you moving from SPC to various cables definitely changed the mids, and really made the Jolene’s more natural sounding.
Because I wanted to be able to do tuning via cables right away, I had my CIEM Jolene’s made with the older 4pin connectors, and long and short of it I’ve settled on a cable from PlusSound that uses Palladium Platted Copper and Palladium Platted Silver, and feel it addressed many of the issues I’ve seen other mention on the stock cable.
I enjoy all genres of music, and with the cable changes feel the Jolene’s do not exhibit the issues or short comings some have citied. I feel they have the sound that works with Jazz, rock, electronic and even orchestral classical. Vocals both male and female are much more authoritative and pinpoint accurate, but at the same time smoother and more natural. If I can say it, much more intimate.

Reviewers like Deezel177 have mentioned the Jolene’s represent a value, and I fully agree. Even with the cable I choose, (which I’ve acknowledged many may not justify its cost for the improvement) I’m still less than other TOTL IEMs alone (which I have auditioned, and came back to the Jolene’s) and I’m seeing people adding $3-$4K cables to these TOTL IEM’s for a total price that is more than what I paid for my Jolene’s, PlusSound PPH Cable, my Lotoo PAW 6K, and my Cayin C9 combined.

Hang in there with your Jolene’s as the sound, staging and timbre all start changing with a min of 50 hours, change even more with a 100-150 hours, and even after just continue to evolve and impress.

Hope you find them as engaging and satisfying as many on this thread have.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #972 of 1,253
Armstrj2

I’ve had my Jolene’s for almost a year now, have run a number of cables types through them, used them with and without external amps, and can say they just continue to please and impress me.
Burn in makes a difference and continue to do so.

I’ve posted earlier in this thread my impressions after doing cable rolling how IMO the soundstage, timbre and vocals changed in most cases for the better, but in some cases for the worse.
I’ve exchanged thoughts with other Jolene enthusiasts and reviewers and we all seem to agree, that changing the cable will allow one to “tune” the sound of the Jolene’s.
While the stock SPC cable from JH Audio is good, I’ve read several feel the mids and vocals are not quite correct.
I can tell you moving from SPC to various cables definitely changed the mids, and really made the Jolene’s more natural sounding.
Because I wanted to be able to do tuning via cables right away, I had my CIEM Jolene’s made with the older 4pin connectors, and long and short of it I’ve settled on a cable from PlusSound that uses Palladium Platted Copper and Palladium Platted Silver, and feel it addressed many of the issues I’ve seen other mention on the stock cable.
I enjoy all genres of music, and with the cable changes feel the Jolene’s do not exhibit the issues or short comings some have citied. I feel they have the sound that works with Jazz, rock, electronic and even orchestral classical. Vocals both male and female are much more authoritative and pinpoint accurate, but at the same time smoother and more natural. If I can say it, much more intimate.

Reviewers like Deezel177 have mentioned the Jolene’s represent a value, and I fully agree. Even with the cable I choose, (which I’ve acknowledged many may not justify its cost for the improvement) I’m still less than other TOTL IEMs alone (which I have auditioned, and came back to the Jolene’s) and I’m seeing people adding $3-$4K cables to these TOTL IEM’s for a total price that is more than what I paid for my Jolene’s, PlusSound PPH Cable, my Lotoo PAW 6K, and my Cayin C9 combined.

Hang in there with your Jolene’s as the sound, staging and timbre all start changing with a min of 50 hours, change even more with a 100-150 hours, and even after just continue to evolve and impress.

Hope you find them as engaging and satisfying as many on this thread have.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I had read your posts here and on other threads about your experience with cables and PlusSound. It's great information and I'll keep it in mind. It's an expensive and sometimes crazy journey to undertake so it's great when you can read about other people's experiences before making a decision yourself :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing where they end up with some more playtime. Cheers

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #973 of 1,253
Hey, thanks for the reply. I had read your posts here and on other threads about your experience with cables and PlusSound. It's great information and I'll keep it in mind. It's an expensive and sometimes crazy journey to undertake so it's great when you can read about other people's experiences before making a decision yourself :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing where they end up with some more playtime. Cheers
Armatrj2

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words.
I don't consider myself a reviewer like the ranks of Deezel177 or Twister6 at all.
But rather as my handle says someone who "enjoys audio" and I will share my opinions with anyone who will listen. But they are my opinions and your milage may vary (YMMV) so the best thing to do is read, ask questions but most importantly where possible try yourself (thank God for shows like CanJam!)
There are a lot of great posters here and will gladly share info, just ask.
There are some though who will really tear into those who post, and that is a shame as really this is "personal" audio, and everyone I feel is entitled to their personal opinions
and why I always make sure to let people what I say is IMO!.
Thanks again for reaching out, as recently did have some tear into me so your words have done to lift spirts especially this close to the holidays.

Glad to be of any help!
And really glad to see the renewed interest into IEM's I feel rival many of the other TOTL IEM's out there.

Good luck on finding the sound signature your chasing!

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #975 of 1,253
Findthereal4

Thanks!
I've also noticed the "bare" connectors are starting show up on various sites.
Saw this one on AliExpress
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003064152346.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.78dc573eUft8sI&algo_pvid=93d71f37-7313-4b47-8690-8ff269b3b1f2&algo_exp_id=93d71f37-7313-4b47-8690-8ff269b3b1f2-3&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000023726742816"%7D

My Jolene's were made with the older 4pin connectors so I'm good for now, but good to know I can order later with the 7pin connectors now that adapters as well as bare connectors are starting to show up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back