JH Audio JH5pro thread
Nov 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #571 of 1,217

Quote:
Has anyone here heard both the JH5s and the 13s?

Yes...and the 16's as well.

I met Jerry about 6 months ago and he let me listen to the 5's, 7's and 13's. I didn't want to spend much more than $500 at the time, and Jerry didn't try to upsell me at all. I thought that the 5's sounded great, and the 7's were too boomy. I remember Jerry telling me about how the 13's were really his baby and the very best of what he's done, but I don't remember them sounding that much better at the time. Maybe it was in my mind because I didn't want to spend that much more. Hard to say. So I bought some 5's and have been very happy with them. They're clear and warm and fun. I can hear good highs, lows and mids, and they just always sound great to me. I've definitely been an outspoken fan of the 5's. To me, they're an amazing deal.

Then...I read way too much about the 13's on this forum. It made me wonder what the hell was wrong with me and why didn't I jump at the 13's that day. Again, hard to say. It's possible that the demo 13's, which Jerry told me were a new set of demos, weren't working properly, or that my mind was telling me that the 5's were perfect for the money. Who knows.

Anyway, I ended up picking up a set of used 13's from someone here. Thankfully, they were much smaller than my own ears so I could put some foam tips around them, jam them in my ears and get a good listen. I've since had a small nightmare of getting them remolded. Fisher's work was not acceptable, so I sent them to UM in China. I valued them at $1000, I thought for insurance sake, which triggered a huge delay in customs and also me paying an additional $150 for duty. Otherwise, UM's work was great.

So back to the comparison...

I've gone back and forth between my 5's and 13's many times since. From a bang for the buck perspective, the 5's do not sound $700 cheaper. No way. To me, they are the greatest deal and should be priced more like $750, not $399.

Here's the audio comparison: The 13's go lower and higher than the 5's. Sub-bass is more obvious and ultra-highs as well. The 13's sound brighter in general than the 5's which are a bit warmer. The interesting thing is, if you listened to the 5's for a while, you wouldn't know what you were missing until you listened to the 13's. The 5's sound that good.

The thing about the 13's is this...from my point of view, we rarely if ever hear high end reproduced so well as what the 13's do. It's really nothing short of amazing. I've been a sound engineer for many years and I know what I'm talking about. And because of those amazing highs, I think it's possible for some to believe that they lack low end...which they don't. It's just that we're not used to hearing high end reproduction that well done. Even Jerry has said that the 13's are very flat, almost reference, but have a bass bump around 50-100hz. To my ears, I can also hear a treble peak around 6k or so.

And that's why I believe that the 16's exist. Because the highs are so good on the 13's, the 16's have an added boost to basically compensate for what we're not used to hearing in the high end. 

That's all purely my opinion. And also why I'm ordering some 16's tomorrow. 

I met with Adam last week and demoed some 16's, going back and forth between my 13's and his 16's. It was a very tough call. It kinda bothers the engineer inside me that I slightly preferred the less flat 16's, but that's what the musician inside me said.

And yes, I'm still happy with my 5's and I'm keeping them. They're a great deal. Still heads and shoulders above the non-customs.

Hope that helps.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #574 of 1,217
"JH 5's sound like they're worth 750 to me.. and don't sound 700 dollars less than the jh 13"

That really made my day (as I'm buying JH 5's on friday). you just made a happy little boy even happier. Now I decide colour. Do I want what's in my avatar, or translucent lime green with no writing at all.

What kinda got me mad is on JH's facebook page they've got a "Lime green trans" image and they have no "Lime green" color on their site. Also for the lime green trans photo the faceplate looks like it's a solid green where the rest is trans but then again they probably just forgot to note that in the caption. I'm guessing "Lime green" is referring to what is called "candy lime" on their site.

Here's the image I'm referring to. I like the over-all body color but the faceplate looks like it's solid which I'm wondering if it actually is and the person it's made for wanted that (as well as which color this actually IS)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539530257#!/photo.php?fbid=171523394040&set=a.171522254040.116457.132292234040

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #575 of 1,217
And I have to thank pizzafilms again for his compelling original post on the JHA comparisons that led me to the JH5s. They are amazing in my view as well. Still can't afford 13s or 16s. Maybe someday though.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #578 of 1,217
Glad to hear that about the 5's, 7's and 13's seeing as how I just got an email from JH yesterday saying that they received my impressions. Can't wait to get my JH5's in a week or two. The wait is going to be just killer although the CK10's have been keeping me entertained with their 3d holographic almost soundstage. Haven't gotten an email back regarding my artwork/shell color changes but I figure it isn't a big issue. I'll probably just resend the email tomorrow if I don't get anything back yet. Would be a little bit upset if the mock up artwork was not used like I emailed asking for instead of the artwork image I included with my original order. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #579 of 1,217

Quote:
Glad to hear that about the 5's, 7's and 13's seeing as how I just got an email from JH yesterday saying that they received my impressions. Can't wait to get my JH5's in a week or two. The wait is going to be just killer although the CK10's have been keeping me entertained with their 3d holographic almost soundstage. Haven't gotten an email back regarding my artwork/shell color changes but I figure it isn't a big issue. I'll probably just resend the email tomorrow if I don't get anything back yet. Would be a little bit upset if the mock up artwork was not used like I emailed asking for instead of the artwork image I included with my original order. 

Looking forward to your impressions. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #580 of 1,217
I should also thank pizza films for a great review (in some other thread I can't recall the name of) explaining why he got the 5's originally. It gave me much peace of mind in getting the jh5 instead of waiting a billion years to get the 16's, besides, if I can convince myself and those around me that $400 is reasonable, it will be much easier to arrive at $1150. My impressions are being delivered today (so say UPS), and provided no serious impression screw ups I will be waiting earnestly until next week.

SolidSnake, we should have a coffee-shop-listen-session once they arrive...

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #581 of 1,217

Quote:
I should also thank pizza films for a great review (in some other thread I can't recall the name of) explaining why he got the 5's originally. It gave me much peace of mind in getting the jh5 instead of waiting a billion years to get the 16's, besides, if I can convince myself and those around me that $400 is reasonable, it will be much easier to arrive at $1150. My impressions are being delivered today (so say UPS), and provided no serious impression screw ups I will be waiting earnestly until next week.

SolidSnake, we should have a coffee-shop-listen-session once they arrive...

I concur, a listening session would be quite nice, could be neat to bring a bit of other iem gear as well if you still have some. I have my Eterna V1's hanging around somewhere and my CK10's. 

Also, did anyone else notice the black friday sale thing? 15% off and a free t-shirt although the 15% excludes the JH3A and the JH5's it seems. If you managed to get the $50 off the JH5's on the one day sale a few days ago that would beat out the 15% and free t-shirt.

Also, my impressions were received at the lab a few days ago so it's just a matter of time now, can't wait to give em a spin and throw some early impressions up here for you guys

*update* Final mock up image I just got back from Zac, he said that the color of the ear pieces couldn't be changed to black as they are already made however he was able to flip the image on the one ear. I personally think the mock up looks great and told Zac to go ahead with it. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #582 of 1,217
Nice, I like the flip a lot.

Deadwood is still a nice color. That's what I'm getting myself... And in terms of custom art, some of my friends were saying I get this on it..haha.  If anyone on these forums plays HoN (Heroes of Newerth), you'll get it.

-Swilly

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #583 of 1,217
Hello JH5 appreciators, I am hoping some of you will be able to tell me more about the bass response of the JH5.  I am considering selling my W3's and ordering a pair very soon.

The only dual driver BA IEM I have had experience with is the Custom 3, which I liked quite a lot and was satisfied with their bass.  If the JH5 offer something similar, I think my decision is made.  

I would expect that because the fit is custom, the JH5 would offer slightly more bass impact than a universal dual driver.  Is this correct?  

From what I have read, the JH5 bass does have a slight hump, but I am expecting them to sound very neutral compared to the W3.  I am also not expecting the same quantity of bass the W3.  I am just worried that the JH5 will sound thin coming from mostly dynamic IEM's and the W3.  But, like I said before, if the bass compares to the Custom 3 or exceeds it, I will be happy.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #584 of 1,217
Just ordered my JH 5 pros.
ear Impressions tomorrow as well as shipping them out.

I ordered
Bellbottom Blue
Translucent shell

and in the comments section I wrote

"Would like "JH AUDIO" print in white (NOT THE LOGO) on the side of both ear pieces. So when it's said and done it should look like this.

http://i52.tinypic.com/65qa.jpg"

can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back