JH Audio JH5pro thread
Nov 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #526 of 1,217
once I get them I will spend too much time swapping between the following setups:
iphone ampless; iphone > 2move; computer > 2move; computer > desktop dac/amp via optical.

depending on how things come out, I may go down the insane path of getting a whipmod or hifiman player as a compromise between quality and portability. I will let you all know how much I care about the amping. hopefully for my wallet, iphone > 2move will suffice.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #527 of 1,217

Quote:
Thinking about getting a 160 Gen 7 Classic (to hold my collection), but not reading good things about it's SQ. Please post some feedback on it when you have your JH5s. What do you think of the Classic SQ?

Recently I've been thinking the same thing. I actually hadn't looked at the price of it ($249?) until just recently, and I had no idea that the Cowon J3 cost that much more (esp if I decided to get a 32 GB card to go with it). I just don't like itunes, and I very much prefer drag and drop...

Oh yea, and I always hear how the ipod doesn't sound that great straight out of the headphone jack (amped through line-out, I have no idea). I really wish rockbox came to the gen 7. I'm pretty sure I'd go for one if that happened. There just aren't enough high capacity players that are very pocketable and at a good price (usually meaning HDD and not flash). Like pellegrino10, I'm also waiting on your thoughts on ampless through ipod gen 7!

If i've already spent that much on the JH5's I want to make sure the source is very good too... probably not getting a hifiman (since capacity isn't that great either), and probably not the cowon X7 (it's too big, plus resistive screen). TBH, I don't even want touch screen, just something that will play back music amazingly.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #528 of 1,217
Exactly what I was thinking. I do have what I hope is a very good amp on the way, and I also have an LOD/cable for my Touch, which I hope will work with the Classic 160 too. But if anyone has the JH5 or any other JH custom and an iPod Classic 7G, please post your views.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #531 of 1,217
Well I can give at least a few impressions of the Classic 7th gen as a source with my iem's up to this point.

With my Eterna's and CK10's I find the Classic to be a pretty solid source. The sound quality is not amazing or anything to write home about however the size capacity is great and overall it does its job well. I'm not slack jawed by it as a source component but at the same time I haven't had any problems with it and nothing sounds "bad". With the 7th gen I get a bit of hiss from my CK10's if music isn't playing however it is very faint and tough to pick up. 

I don't really feel qualified to describe the "sound characteristics" of it as a source due to my lack of experience with I wide range of sources. I will say this though, I feel that the quality of the audio file that I put into it is the main deciding factor and that matters more than really anything else. I don't find any major faults with the 7th gen, it holds a ton of music, plays it well, battery lasts quite a long time and seem to match up fine with all the iem's I have tried with it, (MTPC's, Triple Fi's, CK10's, UM3X's, W3's and Eterna's)

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #533 of 1,217
I already have a 64GB Touch 3G, I am hoping for something with max capacity, like the 160GB Classic. I agree, the 3G Touch does sound excellent with the JH5s using HP out, and even a little better with line out and an amp. I just am tired of moving music off the Touch to add new stuff. Same with the Zune80 I own. Need a monster capacity player. Might have to take the plunge on the Classic v.7 as a Xmas gift to myself.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #534 of 1,217
Thanks for that. As noted, I may have to give it a try.

Quote:
Well I can give at least a few impressions of the Classic 7th gen as a source with my iem's up to this point.

With my Eterna's and CK10's I find the Classic to be a pretty solid source. The sound quality is not amazing or anything to write home about however the size capacity is great and overall it does its job well. I'm not slack jawed by it as a source component but at the same time I haven't had any problems with it and nothing sounds "bad". With the 7th gen I get a bit of hiss from my CK10's if music isn't playing however it is very faint and tough to pick up. 

I don't really feel qualified to describe the "sound characteristics" of it as a source due to my lack of experience with I wide range of sources. I will say this though, I feel that the quality of the audio file that I put into it is the main deciding factor and that matters more than really anything else. I don't find any major faults with the 7th gen, it holds a ton of music, plays it well, battery lasts quite a long time and seem to match up fine with all the iem's I have tried with it, (MTPC's, Triple Fi's, CK10's, UM3X's, W3's and Eterna's)

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #535 of 1,217

Quote:
I already have a 64GB Touch 3G, I am hoping for something with max capacity, like the 160GB Classic. I agree, the 3G Touch does sound excellent with the JH5s using HP out, and even a little better with line out and an amp. I just am tired of moving music off the Touch to add new stuff. Same with the Zune80 I own. Need a monster capacity player. Might have to take the plunge on the Classic v.7 as a Xmas gift to myself.

Wouldn't be a bad self gift if I do say so myself 
biggrin.gif

I got annoyed with moving stuff off my old nano as well which is why I just got the huge classic and figured I wouldn't have to worry about it. It is nice to have ALL of my music in one spot at one time. The only real drawback is that it's a bit bigger/heavier than I would like for working out/running/cycling. I actually plan on picking up a Clip+ in the near future to use for working out and just for the ultra portable size. Also, really want to see what rockbox is all about, figure the Clip+ is a pretty decent way to try it out.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #537 of 1,217
I was looking at SolidSnake's impressions back on page 33, and I am concerned that the audiologist who did mine may not have gotten deep enough (interesting since it was the same augiologist...). Does anyone know if JHA will tell you your impressions suck, and ask for better ones? The silicon filled my ear, and it was smooth where the goo got, but I am worried they are too short. I might email them and ask that they make sure the impressions aren't too shallow before they cast molds; I would hate to wait all that time, only to find out they screwed up after getting them back, and then having to resend, etc.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #538 of 1,217
Not sure, but they are supposed to hit that second bend, as you know. Mine were pretty long and the audiologist said better too long. I don't have photos of mine, unfortunately. And my JH5s are a perfect fit, lucky for me. I'd say let it go and see how it sounds/fits. If they are not deep enough, JH will require new impressions and make you another pair, I would hope. But calling them can't hurt either.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #539 of 1,217

Quote:
... I'd say let it go and see how it sounds/fits. If they are not deep enough, JH will require new impressions and make you another pair, I would hope. But calling them can't hurt either. ...

I sent an email just in case. I am sure they think I am crazy, but after seeing photos of others', and knowing how big my own ears are, I really have concerns; I want those things in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back