JH Audio JH5pro thread
Nov 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #466 of 1,217

Quote:
^
I'd look at the HJA website and look at their recommended audiologists. If any of them are within traveling distance for you I would give them a call and see if they have a demo available for you to listen. If you are lucky like me you will have a couple of places to call up. The JH5 is the only JH earphone that interests me for some odd reason however but I won't be getting another custom for a while.

Unfortunately I live in Wisconsin and as such am not really near any of the recommended audiologists. 
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #467 of 1,217

Quote:
So this bit of warmth to the signal does not negatively impact the mids at all? I'm just a bit concerned about vocals possibly being a bit recessed if there is a bit of a bass bump. 

It's not a bass bump and extremely subtle. Some would think it analytical but I think them very slightly warm of absolute neutral. No clouding of mids and close enough to just right that preference and opinion is what will power a decision. I personally haven't yet heard a universal as good. Haven't heard them all but they're clearly better than 535, TF10, MTPC IMO. 

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #468 of 1,217
Awesome, thank you very much for that, I didn't think it would effect the mids but I just wanted to make sure. Also, good to know that you felt they were better than the TF10's and MTPC's. I had both of those and, although they were good iem's, they both had some faults that were annoying. The MTPC's I felt lacked some detail and clarity as well as leading to constant fit issues. The TF10's had horrible fit problems and mids I found to be too recessed for my liking.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #469 of 1,217
 My take on those as well. I actually most liked the Shures of the 3. Next up, Grado and Fischer. I thought about just getting the JH5s and being done with it but I thought I'd check those out for fun. Honestly, my take on the 5s was very good. Seemless mids with no indication of a crossover. They're not quite as dry, fast or extended as the 13s but they're much closer than they should be for the price.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #470 of 1,217
@goovibes: How much of a difference would you say the JH5 and JH13 is? I expect some difference but not to be as big as stated since we do tend to exaggerate a bit to highlight the differences. Also have you ever heard a UM3X and if yes how would you say they compare? My current customs are like a refined UM3X in just about every area. If the JH5 sound anything similar I'll have to pass but they do seem like a good buy as far as customs go considering they used to be more expensive.

@SolidSnake3: That's too bad you don't have any audiologists that are near you where you can demo it. I think sometime around December I'll look into another custom and the JH5 could be a possibility although I don't exactly want it to sound similar to what I have now. I guess you are finally going to make that leap to customs?
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #471 of 1,217

Quote:
@SolidSnake3: That's too bad you don't have any audiologists that are near you where you can demo it. I think sometime around December I'll look into another custom and the JH5 could be a possibility although I don't exactly want it to sound similar to what I have now. I guess you are finally going to make that leap to customs?
biggrin.gif

I might be making the leap yes....I'm heavily considering it. With Christmas coming up and my PS3 going on 3 month's of doing nothing but collecting dust the stars seem to be lining up for some customs....only time will tell I guess. Have a few more universals I want to look into before that point but put it this way...I'm thinking about cool artwork combo's already
very_evil_smiley.gif

My wallet hates me 
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #472 of 1,217

Quote:
@goovibes: How much of a difference would you say the JH5 and JH13 is? I expect some difference but not to be as big as stated since we do tend to exaggerate a bit to highlight the differences. Also have you ever heard a UM3X and if yes how would you say they compare? My current customs are like a refined UM3X in just about every area. If the JH5 sound anything similar I'll have to pass but they do seem like a good buy as far as customs go considering they used to be more expensive.

Sorry, No idea on the Westones. I think someone familiar with sound will pick the differences between the 5 and 13 pretty easily. The 5s may even be friendlier but I'd take the 13s every time, it's the best I've heard so far but I haven't heard as many as the old timers here. I'm a fan of that controlled dryish sound that only something as controlled and fast as a 13 can do. It's an uncanny ease of reproduction. The 5 is of the same cloth but rounder yet not at all rounded if you get my drift. I could see someone preferring the 5 but that wouldn't be me. At the same time, I think it a better value for a DAP. To put it into perspective, the extra warmth of the 16 would be a bigger hindrance than the overall sound of the 5s. I think the 16s are for stage use where that extra weight is needed.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #473 of 1,217
Yeah well the 13 is past the amount I want to spend on that and I think if I did spend that amount it would go towards the ES5 since I have a feeling that would suit me better. I'll have to decide to buy and see if I can audition the 13 and the 5 one day. I think one the audiologist that I went to for my impressions should have a demo set since he's on the list of audiologists.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #475 of 1,217
Auditioning gear of that level can only lead to bad financial decisions...still half regret listening to a loaner pair of CK10's 
tongue.gif
 Thanks ljokerl wherever you are!

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #476 of 1,217

Quote:
Now you know that you shouldn't audition the JH13 or ES5 if you don't want to buy them.
devil_face.gif
 I'm PMing you a question.

I wish the ES5 were available for demo (they aren't, the demo pairs at Canjam were one-offs).

Rawster, Beth Orliss definitely has demos of the whole JHA line. The Jh5 with countersunk cable connects are her thing for motorcyclists, so she has those to demo for sure. I'll be hearing the jh13 and jh16 from her when I go for earmolds.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #477 of 1,217
I don't think fear of buying something from auditioning is an issue. I've had the chance to try out many of the top cans and have not bought any of them :p I'm pretty responsible with my money that when I set a budget that is the budget. I have a pretty good sense of what the ES5 would sound like but not so much with the JH line due to a lack of a good reference point to compare them to unless the TF10 can be considered one.

The audiologist I went to would be preferred due to a good location but that's something I won't be exploring now assuming I don't buy anymore headphones from now until then unless I sell some of what I have now.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #479 of 1,217
Pulled the trigger, got the JH5s after much pondering (one-day turnaround by JH, I might add), and they abruptly ended my search for in-ear phones. Done. Getting rid of my cheap in-ears, for the most part.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #480 of 1,217
Sigh, if only there were incredible from my point of reference. If there not much better than high-end cans I've used such as the Rs1 and high-end universals Sm3 then what's the point of shelling out more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back