JH Audio JH5pro thread
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #421 of 1,217
I'm almost set on those, but I have two questions to current JH5 owners:
1. Can someone who has experience with Sennheiser IE8 or ATH-ESW9 or ES10 can somehow relate the signature of JH5 to them?
2. Custom art - how well is it made? I have some customization ideas but if the art wears off easily I will pass.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #422 of 1,217

Quote:
I'm almost set on those, but I have two questions to current JH5 owners:
1. Can someone who has experience with Sennheiser IE8 or ATH-ESW9 or ES10 can somehow relate the signature of JH5 to them?
2. Custom art - how well is it made? I have some customization ideas but if the art wears off easily I will pass.

For number 2. the art is the same for all the jh models, people report that there's a clear layer of acrylic over the art so it's protected.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #423 of 1,217
Well after using them for a couple of days I think that I may have a SMALL fit issue with the right earphone. The left side feels perfect; never painful and once it has been in my ear for a while I almost forget it is there. However, on the right side I can feel a slight pressure that sort of feels like a sharp edge pressing against my inner ear. It's pretty light and I can only really notice it if I focus on the feeling, but now that I'm aware of it I focus on it almost constantly. I sent an e-mail to Brittany earlier today asking about it but have yet to hear back from her. I am still getting a perfect seal and the sound is amazing, so much so that I am almost hesitant to consider sending them in for a refit lest something goes wrong.

I also think that it might just be because this is my first pair of customs and I'm not used to the feeling yet. Does anyone have any experience with a similar sensation and how it turned out for them? I am still very impressed with the product and wouldn't hesitate to order them again. =P

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #424 of 1,217

Quote:
Well after using them for a couple of days I think that I may have a SMALL fit issue with the right earphone. The left side feels perfect; never painful and once it has been in my ear for a while I almost forget it is there. However, on the right side I can feel a slight pressure that sort of feels like a sharp edge pressing against my inner ear. It's pretty light and I can only really notice it if I focus on the feeling, but now that I'm aware of it I focus on it almost constantly. I sent an e-mail to Brittany earlier today asking about it but have yet to hear back from her. I am still getting a perfect seal and the sound is amazing, so much so that I am almost hesitant to consider sending them in for a refit lest something goes wrong.

I also think that it might just be because this is my first pair of customs and I'm not used to the feeling yet. Does anyone have any experience with a similar sensation and how it turned out for them? I am still very impressed with the product and wouldn't hesitate to order them again. =P

I'm sure it's something they can correct for you. Just mark the area with a sharpie, and they'll rework the area a bit for you. It's not worth having something like this bother you with your new customs.

It's totally worth giving it a few days to a week to see how things develop, though.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #425 of 1,217

Quote:

I'm sure it's something they can correct for you. Just mark the area with a sharpie, and they'll rework the area a bit for you. It's not worth having something like this bother you with your new customs.

It's totally worth giving it a few days to a week to see how things develop, though.

That's what I was thinking. I've got a lot of time to try and break them in this weekend so I figured if its still bothering me by early next week I'll get in touch with them.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #426 of 1,217
Just got back from my appointment with Frances Miranda of Rockstar Ears. Very satisfied with her service! Now she said I would have to wait for around 10 - 15 days to get my JH5. Can't wait.. lets see how they turn out!

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #427 of 1,217
I know this is not the first question of it's kind, but hey, 400USD is 30% of my two year savings (student). Right now i have a pair of HD595's, and I feel they don't deliver good enough sound for me anymore. It's not as fun, I can hear all these areas where they lack some.This is out of a somewhat bad source, but still.

I know my ears are above average, and I can hear a clear difference between 320 mp3's and FLAC files with bit-perfect from an old soundblaster audigy to my HD595.

My question is, will the JH5's be enough of step up? Blown away is actually what I'm looking for..or close to it. But the money is not exactly flowing, my living and feeding is payed for, and I get ~125USD a month in student welfare. I could buy the JH16, and I would be lying if it hasn't crossed my mind. If I had a job the JH16 would sit in my ear right now. A real speaker system would cost twice or more of a JH16, and those I couldn't listen to anyway as the current circumstances.

I would love the -26db sound isolation too, that's something to consider. The 595's is completely open, and still i run in them, outside, and it's not ideal at all but better than my Yuin PK1's.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, and please note what your relationship are with them, if you own them, have tried them, used to own them and so on.

Thanks in advance! :)

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #429 of 1,217

Quote:
I know this is not the first question of it's kind, but hey, 400USD is 30% of my two year savings (student). Right now i have a pair of HD595's, and I feel they don't deliver good enough sound for me anymore. It's not as fun, I can hear all these areas where they lack some.This is out of a somewhat bad source, but still.

I know my ears are above average, and I can hear a clear difference between 320 mp3's and FLAC files with bit-perfect from an old soundblaster audigy to my HD595.

My question is, will the JH5's be enough of step up? Blown away is actually what I'm looking for..or close to it. But the money is not exactly flowing, my living and feeding is payed for, and I get ~125USD a month in student welfare. I could buy the JH16, and I would be lying if it hasn't crossed my mind. If I had a job the JH16 would sit in my ear right now. A real speaker system would cost twice or more of a JH16, and those I couldn't listen to anyway as the current circumstances.

I would love the -26db sound isolation too, that's something to consider. The 595's is completely open, and still i run in them, outside, and it's not ideal at all but better than my Yuin PK1's.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, and please note what your relationship are with them, if you own them, have tried them, used to own them and so on.

Thanks in advance! :)

I think they will. It's the best I've heard for $400, custom or not. Surprising how much better 320 is than anything less.  For kicks, try wav vs FLAC sometime. I know both are bit perfect but there's a very small amount of added noise and buffer softening from processing a flac in real time. PCs aren't the most revealing source but you'll have fun. There's more to this than bits when it comes to playback as opposed to storage. Don't take anything for granted.

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #430 of 1,217
Thanks, both of you. looking forward to your testing Superfrag, you've got quite an inventory!

goodvibes: with "custom or not" you do not include open cans? I'm thinking about the guy in this thread who sold his 5's for the 200USD SR225, because of the soundstage. I mean, that leaves a guy worried.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #431 of 1,217

Quote:
Thanks, both of you. looking forward to your testing Superfrag, you've got quite an inventory!

goodvibes: with "custom or not" you do not include open cans? I'm thinking about the guy in this thread who sold his 5's for the 200USD SR225, because of the soundstage. I mean, that leaves a guy worried.

People have different preferences + different needs.

I personally am not going to be even particular about a "small soundstage" in an IEM because my expectations of something that small is reasonable. An IEM can never sound like a headphone, and a headphone will never sound like speakers. They will present music in their own ways with their own pro's and con's.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #432 of 1,217

Quote:
People have different preferences + different needs.

I personally am not going to be even particular about a "small soundstage" in an IEM because my expectations of something that small is reasonable. An IEM can never sound like a headphone, and a headphone will never sound like speakers. They will present music in their own ways with their own pro's and con's.

sounds wise :) thanks for your input, you're right. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #433 of 1,217
I'm glad I helped.

Don't let little things like that worry so much - the choice is yours, seek a balanced between an informed decision, and your gut feeling. Leaning towards too much of either is unhealthy.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #434 of 1,217
Here are mine.  I've had them for 5 months now and I still love them!  To me, they sound better than the Shure SE530s that I've used before.  The bass is clearer and less muddy, the mids are amazing and not so forward they're in your face and highs are clear but not as extended as they could be.

22531b9b.jpg

The bass and imaging definitely sounds better with an amp.  The amp I'm using is a Mini3 and it makes the sound more 3-D as well as improves the soundstage a bit.  Bass is noticeably tighter with an amp and it is very detailed.  You can hear the vocalist take a small breath or the guitarist slide their fingers along the fretboard even when they're not playing.

These are my first pair of custom IEMs and I'm so impressed by them that I don't think I will be buying anymore universals in the future.  Custom is the way to go.  

I'm nothing short of completely impressed by these.  Customer service from JHA has been great too.  I've gotten email updates from when they received it to when it was sent back to me and fit is perfect the first time!  I think the fit has to do with my ear canals being very straight and easy to make customs for. 

I've actually just bought a 2nd hand pair of JH13s because I've heard so many good things about them and I want to be "wowed."  I'm just hoping UM can do a good job at remolding and don't just throw all the drivers in there.  I'll give an a comparison between the JH13s and JH5s after I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back