JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jan 18, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #2,686 of 3,787
You just have to get use to the sound. The mids is really really neutral, so compared to most IEMs, you kind of wish it's a bit mid forward. But other than that I never found JH 16 has a blanket on the sound. I find it opposite since it has really amazing details, resolution and instruments seperation.  Maybe TF10 is extremely sparkle, because that's how I suppose to decribe the JH 16 sound.

But there IS a bit too much sibilance.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,687 of 3,787
I have never found that there is too much sibilance. Occasionally, when listening to lower quality recordings straight from my ipod touch, I notice it every now and then. When I listen using my iBasso D10 and an impedance adapter, I find that the JH16's suit my tastes perfectly. Yes, the mids are a bit neutral, but I think that's a good change compared to most headphones which are mid-centric.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2,688 of 3,787
I had the TF10's before I changed up to the H16.  There is no contest between the two.  I definitely found that my JH16 improved heaps from a day of constant burn in.  I just left them playing one day at home and when I got home voila, they were much nicer.  I am guessing 30-40 hours should loosen them up.

If you still have problems then perhaps look at your amp or fitting.  I dont think that I ever had sibilance.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,689 of 3,787
yes there is probably less focus on the mids, the bass and treble seem more prominent.

I'm used to listening to the vocals, but they just seem a bit distant..

Hows isolation for you guys?

It seems to isolate well, prob not as good as when I was using the um3x with olives, but good.

If I click my fingers next to my head on both sides, that click sound gets through pretty easily, and I can still hear my partner talking when no music is playing.

I'm a little under the weather so that might affect sound presentation. I'll listen to it more today and see how it is. One thing I do notice is the bass is definitely sounding better now. Its more full sounding, and I can feel the kick of the bass drums which I have never been able to feel on my previous universal iems.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #2,690 of 3,787
You can change sound focus quite a bit with different amps or different opamps.  My TF10's were lacking mid and treble when I had them.  Changing to a silver cable helped that quite a lot.  My JH16 are not a sparkly iem but it is all there.  When you get the right song you will suddenly be surprised that it is perhaps not always the JH16 leaving it out but the sounds not being there in the first place.

What amp and source are you running?

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #2,691 of 3,787
Thats true. I've heard a few songs which sounded really spacious, and suddenly a sound will come from a diagonal angle which was unexpected.

I'm not using any amp at the moment and using it straight from the headphone output of the iphone 4s.

will later upgrade to ibasso dx100 when it comes out this week maybe?

my left ear is hurting a lot after extenuous use. :frowning2:

My right ear is pretty comfy and disappears after a while, but the left one I can always feel it there. A bit sharp and painful. Might need to go in for a refit.

Isolation isn't the best on the 16s either. I find that I get better isolation with the um3x with olives.

When I snap my fingers, the sound comes through pretty clearly on both sides of ears

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #2,692 of 3,787
Yeah you have to tell them where it went wrong. You ear won't get use to it.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #2,693 of 3,787
I had my right earpiece refit. It was a bit too small so I sent it in to have some material added to it. Fits perfectly now.

I have a silver cable by Chris_Himself for my JH16. I find it loosens up the sound a bit making it clearer and slightly expanding the soundstage.

I also own TF10's. They have 500+ hours of use on them and I have a silver and stock cable. The TF10 is no contest when comparing to the JH16. The Jh16 are much better balanced in my opinion and are more pleasing to listen to.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #2,694 of 3,787
Cool. Thanks for the feedback

Ive shipped them off to get a refit, with the mention that the left side hurts. 

How do you know you're right sided needed more material on it seaskimmer?

After prolonged listening (although painful) the 16's def sound a lot more clearer with details that are really separated. Kind of an organic sound, it's just there, presents itself in a enveloping way. This was after switching the twag cables back to the stock cables. The twag cables don't sound so good. 
Maybe it needs burn in?

Might look into the chris_himself cable.

Just wondering with isolation. If you guys snap your fingers on either side, with no music playing, can you still hear the clicking sound come through? 
Whats the best way to test isolation? 

Cheers
James

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2,695 of 3,787
I have never tested isolation so mine must be reasonable  to not make itself apparent. The main issue as I have seen through these forums appears to be a need to get a good seal in order to get the full bass impact. I pretty much assumed that if the rest of the iem body is the same shap as your ear canal plus you had a good seal that the result would be as much isolation as the iem could give.   As I have said, I could be wrong but to me I don't have a problem. 

I wish you luck with the refit. I hope your original moulds were done properly with a bite block as per JH instructions. I had my impressions done twice as I just didn't trust the way they were done initially. It may have been over cautious but at least I didn't need a refit. 
Best o luck 
either way. I would imagine that you won't want to be without your JH for long  but that you want the iem to be perfect given the cost. 

Interesting that you didn't like the twag. I have a whiplash twag waiting to be used with my new Alo Rx3 for when it is released. I hope it is only a matter of burn in. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,696 of 3,787
When you have a seal, it's easy to tell. Just put on some bassy music and if the full mass of sound is there, the seal is fine. If the earpieces aren't sealing properly, you will get an airy bass sound that lacks in impact. When I snap my fingers with the IEM's in, I can still hear myself snapping. The easiest way to test isolation is by playing some music in the background on speakers, then putting in your JH16's with music on. If there is no music on, you will still hear outside noise no matter what.

The refit process is pretty good. Mine took 1 week from them receiving them to me getting them back, but that was because I sent my refit over the holidays when JH was closed.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #2,698 of 3,787
My Triple fi's lacked in top end detail.  If anything I find that my JH16 are slightly subdued on the top end but when there is a sound there then it is clearly there.  It is juts not Grado'ish in its presentation.  Different amps can make a big difference to the frequency balance.

Even changing from my Rx2 to the ibasso Pb2 gives more focus to the top end and mid range frequencies versus fuller bass and mid bass on the Rx2.  They are bot great.  Just different.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,699 of 3,787
I've been a proud owner of UE10 Pros for a few years now.  After reading (almost) all 180 pages of this thread, I've submitted an order for a new pair of JH16.  Only thing I'm worried about...I sent my UE10's to be used to make the JH impressions, rather than having new molds made from an audiologist.  JH says the old monitors will be fine for this purpose.  Anyone else try this? 

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #2,700 of 3,787
Considering how you have been using them for a few years, I wouldve gotten a fresh set of impressions done, since you ear ought to have changed over the last years. But then again, if your current fit with the UE10's are good, you'll probably be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back