JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Oct 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2,522 of 3,787
Has anybody experienced shallow / pale mids? I'm not sure if it's me or not. Is it in anyway warm as the mids tubes produce ? Because that's somewhat laking in my opinion. Not sure if its because its damn precise or too analytical that it takes away the musicality or so. The bass is tremendously good. But I hear too much sibilance, and cold/pale mids. Does anybody feel that way as well ? If not, could it be that my JH16 is somehow defective ? I'm very confused and biased. Just need more opinions to see if there's something wrong with me or the headphones. Overall, I'm not satisfied with them.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #2,523 of 3,787
A little bit, what are you using them with? For me it depends what they are plugged into. On my portable rig (J3+arrow) they do sound a little analytical and rather unexciting in the mids. However, on my home setup on a tube amp (WA6) the mids are beautiful, I couldn't ask for more. 

I can't speak about sibilance, every phone/iem I ever had was sibilant (with the exception of the LCD2s) so I just take sibilence for granted and don't get upset about it.

I really wish someone made a portable tube amp :)

Quote:
Has anybody experienced shallow / pale mids? I'm not sure if it's me or not. Is it in anyway warm as the mids tubes produce ? Because that's somewhat laking in my opinion. Not sure if its because its damn precise or too analytical that it takes away the musicality or so. The bass is tremendously good. But I hear too much sibilance, and cold/pale mids. Does anybody feel that way as well ? If not, could it be that my JH16 is somehow defective ? I'm very confused and biased. Just need more opinions to see if there's something wrong with me or the headphones. Overall, I'm not satisfied with them.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,524 of 3,787
Even straight out of iphone,the mids is not pale and cold. It's pretty neutral, a little bit warm. After I hear the mids of JH 16. I really cannot put any other IEMs on cuz none of mine comes close to that.

But I do feel some lack in mids after I listen to LCD 2 (which has the best mids in dynamic headphones IMO). So do you listen to LCD 2 a lot? Also it kinds of depends on your taste.  As long as you can hear mids in your JH 16. The drivers shouldnt be defective.

Quote:

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2,525 of 3,787
I'm using my JH16's with the centrance dacport. I've also tried straight from my ipod touch / iphone 4 and had the same issue.
To be honest, I have a blackberry earbud, and the mids on the JH16 DO compare to the blackberry's earbud. So I'm not sure if that's neutrality or what. But is rather unexciting , unsatisfactory for a 1.2kU$ IEM.

Quote:
A little bit, what are you using them with? For me it depends what they are plugged into. On my portable rig (J3+arrow) they do sound a little analytical and rather unexciting in the mids. However, on my home setup on a tube amp (WA6) the mids are beautiful, I couldn't ask for more. 

I can't speak about sibilance, every phone/iem I ever had was sibilant (with the exception of the LCD2s) so I just take sibilence for granted and don't get upset about it.

I really wish someone made a portable tube amp :) 

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2,526 of 3,787
I cant comment on what others hear from their JH16s but I have never been happier with my portable rig.  The fit is always comfortable, although I do remember having slight difficulties in inserting the iems when I first got them but that was resolved fairly quickly.

My rig is ipod 7G classic to CLAS to Alo RX mk2.  The CLAS helped imagining and definition significantly and certainly far more than I had expected.  The RX amp was bass heavy at first and took over 100 hours of regular listening to break in and develop more high end brightness.  But it has retained a strong bottom end.  The bass on my portable rig makes my home rig sound slightly anaemic in comparison.  I do not consider myself a bass head at all but love the texture, impact and energy that the JH16's create in this rig.  I dont even need to crank up the volume to experience the bass energy.

Most of my music is lossless but even average 320kbp tracks still sound entertaining.  I find that the music is that good that I no longer sit there listening to what is there and what is missing but more just enjoy the music.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #2,527 of 3,787
Alo RX MK2 adds a bit of coldness to the JH16s. I hear the them as analytical iems on that amp. The best amp synergy with Ipod Classic -> CLAS for me is the PICO Slim.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #2,528 of 3,787
I dont know if I would describe the RX as clinical but it was certainly dark until it had over 100 hours on it.  It is now really fun.  The best way to describe the bass impact and texture that it has is that I can almost tell how long the fur is on the kick drum kicker.

I really want to try the 71/b.

We really need a local meet.  You guys that live in the US are lucky as there always seems to be meets going on.  I cant even walk into a shop to try an RSA or Pico here on the West coast of Australia.

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #2,530 of 3,787
Hey guys, how long does it take for JH Audio to do a re-fit? A few weeks? This is the first time I'll be sending them in.

I miss them already, even though they are still in my ears 
etysmile.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,532 of 3,787
Yeah I will say 8 days door to door.

Mine refit took like 10 days internationally

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #2,533 of 3,787
Just got mine JH 16 back from US to Uk. Wow only took 5 days for them to create a very complicated artwork for me (multiple color faceplate, multiple color artwork)! JH audio impressed me this time:)

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2,534 of 3,787
Ten days huh, looks like it's gonna be a rough two weeks. My old shures hurt my ears in more ways than one now. 

Does JH send updates about repairs? "Hi we got it", "Hi we sent it back"? Or will the phones just magically appear at my door (or a nearby ditch knowing UPS)?

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #2,535 of 3,787
They tell u nothing. U will just get them. I think u will get them in 1 week time. Mine only took 3 days in lab actually

Quote:
Ten days huh, looks like it's gonna be a rough two weeks. My old shures hurt my ears in more ways than one now. 

Does JH send updates about repairs? "Hi we got it", "Hi we sent it back"? Or will the phones just magically appear at my door (or a nearby ditch knowing UPS)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back