JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Feb 23, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2,161 of 3,787
I thought about going white or silver on mine but I felt it might blend in too much with the fiber optics in the faceplate and get lost. I like how things turned out. I like yours as well though but I like orange 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2,164 of 3,787

Quote:
Hmmm, does it feel like all sounds are muffled, or just those at the extreme right and left sides?  Try inserting the tips with the faceplates rotated forward (counterclockwise on the left side for someone looking at it to your side, and clockwise on the right).  If the tips are wide, then you should just need a very slight rotation back the other way to get them to lock.  You can rely on the tip's width for the seal, rather than a full rotation, since a full rotation IME can cause the muffled/congested sound you may be experiencing.  If that doesn't work, then don't be afraid to ask for an adjustment, and be specific about the problem and the fix you think would work.  In all likelihood, they'll probably just reduce some of the width that they just added.

Hi, thanks for the quick answer.

When I say muffled I mean that everything lack a bit of sparkle and the bass isn't as tight as it was before, and the soundstage sounds flat. In effect the resolution and clarity don't seem to be quite as good as before.

The insertion method you mention sounds kind of like the way I insert anyway. Imagine the left earpiece, I rotate it slightly counterclockwise, insert the tip, and rotate it clockwise until its in. Once in, I don't move it back counter clockwise, or attempt to move it further clockwise. Not really sure what you mean by lock, though. It just goes in.

I'm not sure what you mean by full rotation vs the tip's width. Did you mean have the IEM upside down at the point of insertion and rotate it all the way round?

The thing is, on my first set I think they shaved some width off, but while it resulted in a clearer sound the bass was much diminished.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2,165 of 3,787

Quote:

Yes they will. They have done it before for people. Can you live without both though?

i don't think i have much of a choice
i can't bear the thought of paying 1.8k for a pair of customs that can't give me a proper seal

this is the 3rd day of my practical use, and i can hear the bus roaring past me when i'm walking by the road. this would never happen with my livewires
i'm just frustrated that after sending it back twice, they are still not able to get it right. it's not that i can fault them for not trying when the fact that is they did (thanks Noy!)

i can't think of a better solution other than to ask them to make me a copy of my livewires

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,166 of 3,787

Quote:
Well I just got my 16 Pros back from their second refit and I have to say spend the time to get your refits done right. My first refit just exposed another spot that needed work(discomfort was so bad because of the first spot I coudlnt feel the second).Apparently according to my audiologist there is just a feature in my ear that doesnt affect the seal/usabilty of in ear devices its just a feature that makes an uncomfortable bulge when molded. I have great fit now.Really loving my 16s now that I can wear them and not have pain...  If you get more than a low level feeling of something in your ear things are wrong, even though this is a hard plastic it shouldnt hurt.

There were some stumbles getting the art done correct(partially me partially them) but in the end they worked it all out and made me VERY  happy. I am very impressed with their customer service and the speed with which they tended to get things done. When there were issues they didnt try to pass the buck or anything they just dealt with the problem.

is that fiber glass threads?  they look amazing!

for the longest time i was content to have my remolded um3x's as my top tier iems and have other universal iems for supplemental purposes and have klipsch custom 3's remolded to have as my daily out and about custom iems, then it went to maybe getting 1964 ears quad driver customs made for 500.... then i figured why not just get used jh13's and get them remolded for 600/700.  but then i figured why not just go all out and get jh13 or jh16's.  I been reading as much material as possible, threads, articles, reviews and such.  and I think im going to take the plunge for jh16's....  from what I read the jh13's would be better to be used as a reference stand point and the jh16's add just a touch of color to them so its a little more engaging to most.  I like listening to detail on sounds but i find myself just losing myself in music bliss during listening sessions....so I believe the jh16's are for me and screw the rest and never leave doubts on whats left out there....so heres to hoping to never buy another pair of iems again after the 16's.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,167 of 3,787
That is called a fiber optic faceplate.. Not sure what the fibers are actually made of. It cost me extra to have that done. I think it was $50 a side for it. There are several examples of that style of faceplate on their facebook gallery. Most of them so far have been on clear or at most smoke colored shells/faceplates. Mine is on a mostly opaque orange faceplate with the clear shell. I think it turned out very nice myself.

As far as the differences in the 16s and the 13s the 16s have a fuller low end. Other than that the sound stages are very similar from most reports. I am a bit of a bass head in that I like to know the bass is there but it doesn't have to be overpowering and to me the 16s are about perfect. They have a very rich and full bass and in a track that has alot of bass thumping they are crystal clear no mudding or cutouts(which makes sense since there are twice the bass drivers to deal with the load). I think somewhere I saw that its like a 6db increase in the low ends from the 13pros to the 16s(I could be misremembering this or just plain wrong so no one shoot me please).

I am beyond happy with my purchase. It went very smooth other than a couple of hiccups(dealt with with no fuss or excuses) and having to send in for two refits. Really though it was all just part of the process. Refits happen the audiologist said with something like 5% of her clients. They just have to something done refit wise no matter how good the impressions or the quality of the work done. Like in my case I have a weird feature that comes through in molding that just outright makes it painful to have in my ear. I will probably always need stuff in the left ear remade/refit to be comfortable. The service during all of my trips back and forth was very fast too.. I would send on Monday(overnight paid by me) and get back on Friday(they would overnight back to me).My initial order took from Thursday one week till Friday of the next to fill for custom work that's super fast IMHO.

I don't think you will be unhappy with your decision...
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,168 of 3,787
Must be Chris from that design! Good to see you on here! 

Everyone else, is there a big benefit from burn-in on these and what are you usually seeing?

Thanks,
-Kade

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #2,172 of 3,787
Sigh I get to send my 16s back for one more refit/rebuff... Fortunately each time it goes back the issues are less and less. There are no longer major issues(my first and second refits required some large adjustments) just each time I get them back I find a new area that is a problem the other areas hid. Looks like this should be the last trip though.. The fit is perfect now just a minor rough area that is causing some discomfort on removal that has now irritated things to the point of being painful all the time( 100% my fault I just could not stop listening to them).
ksc75smile.gif

I expected this process to be just that a process that would require some work so in no way am I unhappy. Well okay I am unhappy about losing the use of the 16's but I will be super happy when things get resolved and I know they will. I do not hold JH Audio at fault or lay any blame they have done right by me so far.  I think part of my issue is that on a clear shell there are areas that are hard to inspect visually and the area in question is hard to get to for a good  physical inspection.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2,173 of 3,787
The 16's coloration is in the bass range below 100Hz, centered at about 50Hz.  It's quite pleasant, actually, giving a sense of "heft" to the sound without ever feeling boomy.  It's not "bass-head" sound at all.  In fact, it really makes it feel like there's a nice smooth spectral tilt to the sound, which feels much more lifelike than a totally "flat" response.  I more or less tune my subwoofers to sound this way.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #2,174 of 3,787

Quote:
The 16's coloration is in the bass range below 100Hz, centered at about 50Hz.  It's quite pleasant, actually, giving a sense of "heft" to the sound without ever feeling boomy.  It's not "bass-head" sound at all.  In fact, it really makes it feel like there's a nice smooth spectral tilt to the sound, which feels much more lifelike than a totally "flat" response.  I more or less tune my subwoofers to sound this way.

Perfectly stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back