JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jan 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,981 of 3,787
Took some courage for you to buy used 16s without knowing where you were going to send them for a remold :)

Fisher Hearing in Florida gets pretty good reviews:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owner-s-thread
Their site is at http://www.inearz.t83.net/iemr-remolding/4543913906

Unique Melody in Asia is another option.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,982 of 3,787

Quote:
Took some courage for you to buy used 16s without knowing where you were going to send them for a remold :)

Fisher Hearing in Florida gets pretty good reviews:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owner-s-thread

Well, i'm in the same boat..
But i'm in Europe, do anyone know a good company to make the remolds in Europe?
Thanks.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,983 of 3,787
I bought some used 13's a while ago and have tried both Fisher and Unique.

From my point of view, the people at Fisher were very nice, but I wasn't happy with their attention to detail and work overall.

I then shipped my 13's to Unique and that was it's own journey. Even through I went through Stephen Guo, the language barrier was an issue. Their work was good, but for some reason the connectors were faulty and they didn't notice it. Also, they didn't warn me not to declare them at their full value which caused a HUGE delay in customs and resulted in me paying $150 in customs charges.

Yeah, it hasn't been fun at all.

I've talked with the 1964Ears people and will be shipping them my crippled 13's and hope they can salvage them.

Film at 11...

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,984 of 3,787

Quote:
Quote:

Well, i'm in the same boat..
But i'm in Europe, do anyone know a good company to make the remolds in Europe?
Thanks.

Hi,
I'm in Europe too, and there are no companies that do IEM reshells in Europe from what I've heard.

I go the JH16pro for 1/2 price compared to new and they were only 4 months old, so I just went for it...
I'm in contact with InEarz/Fisher Audio and they said they already did JH16 reshells, so I hope it works out well.
I will post pictures and give my impressions when it's done, for the moment I'm still waiting for the JH16 to arrive.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,985 of 3,787
Anyone else using oto-ease greaseless lubricant to put their 16's into their ears? I used to just throw them in (while dealing with some discomfort of putting something into my ear) until I got my hands on this stuff, makes the seal feel way better and its negates any friction due to ear wax... i never leave home without it!

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,987 of 3,787
I use spit or just a tiny bit of moisturizer.  I am jumpy about it but otherwise it takes a long time to get them in and somewhat painful doing so.  With a bit of juice, they just slide into place perfectly.  I am going to google that stuff though, i don't want to damage my 13's.

Edit- found it locally, thanks for the tip!

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #1,988 of 3,787
if it's tight you should definitely use them.  My JH16s fit perfectly w/o them, I got musician's plugs at about the same time and those weren't as good a fit.  Had to wrestle with them to fit, and a couple battles of that led to a slight inflammation on my right ears accompanied w/ an elevated level of tinnitus (the audiologist said the two are unrelated, but the onset was right after I started getting sore ears from the plugs, so...).  Getting a refit on the plugs and I do plan to use them w/ oto-ease once they're back, hoping the tinnitus isn't permanent (if it is, well, guess I will have to live with it).  You can always rebuy equipment, it's not as easy to replace your ears.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #1,990 of 3,787
Ok, I've decided I'll take my chances with Fisher Audio: I'm sending them today...
Keeping fingers crossed ...

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,993 of 3,787
Quote:
Quote:
So, do you hit the water, or the side of the bowl?  

Water.

I just spent the past few days reading through this whole thread and I have to say this is one of the best posts in here. Only on Head-Fi right? :D

That said I am seriously considering these babies. I'm only 18 so money is a bit of an issue for me, but I'll happily bide my time saving. My problem is the JH-3A, which is both extremely appealing but unappealing. I trust Jerry is onto something and all the early impressions of it's sound quality sound (pun intended) stellar. The thing for me is these IEMs would be part of my home rig as well as my portable (yes portable, not transportable) rig. I'd also have to find a audiologist which could be a problem considering I live in a small country town at least 6 hours away from an audiologist recommended by Jerry. Also living in Australia if I have any problems with fit postage is going to kill my limited funding sending it back and forth between the United States.

I have a lot of options I am exploring before I commit any money but I'd like to thank everyone who posted their thoughts and opinions in this thread. There was a lot of rubbish but a lot of golden posts as well which were very helpful.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,994 of 3,787

As a great alternative to other products mentioned.  Try this stuff, it works great!. It's often suggested by audiologists that this product be used for two weeks prior to getting hearing aids to make the transition more comfortable once you put them in.  It toughens up your ears very well and makes wearing monitors much more comfortable during the adjustment period.  Apply three times a day for two weeks before you get your monitors and you’ll be amazed how well your ears tolerate them. 

http://www.miracell.com/buy-online?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1

My little tip for you folks who educated me on head-fi. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,995 of 3,787
When I first got my UE11s and then JH16s I struggled a bit with getting them in and out -- resulting in occasional soreness and inflammation.  When I went in for a refit, they showed me how to rotate them in and now I have no problems getting them in and out.  Lets see if I can describe it, maybe that will help you guys who are using Oto Ease and similar products. 

For the right ear you put the pokey part that goes inside your ear against the ear, with earpiece rotated so its facing toward the back of your head.  If you were looking at the ear, the top of your head being noon and the flat part of the earpiece being the dial, then you will have the pokey part at 9:00. Then, while applying light pressure, you rotate the earpiece down and forward (that would be counter-clockwise (toward 6:00) to somebody looking at your ear) so that the pokey part just slides right into your ear along the groove painlessly.  This will be easier if you open your mouth slightly first. Removing you simply rotate it in the opposite direction after you get it far enough out that you have a firm grip on it.  Left ear is same idea.

I wish I had known this technique a long time ago so I'm hoping this is useful to somebody here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back