JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Dec 29, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,966 of 3,787

Quote:

3XO:I got the ones with straight Pailiccs plugs. I thought that the SQ was much improved over the relatively cheesy oem cables that came w the 16s.Enjoy.

I only recently found they offer both of the plug types on either type of cable (four possible permutations)! So there are really two differently-comprised (and consequently different-sounding) versions of Jaben's UM Silver Dragon cable.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #1,967 of 3,787

Quote:
I only recently found they offer both of the plug types on either type of cable (four possible permutations)! So there are really two differently-comprised (and consequently different-sounding) versions of Jaben's UM Silver Dragon cable.

I tried the one's w right-angle plugs and didn't notice a big difference over std oem's.

One problem I find with the Pailiccs plugs is that the base is too big to be used w my iPhone when attached to a Mophie powerpack. You must use an adaptor or lose the top half of the Mophie case.

Also I noticed the JH16s don't work very well on the phone's talk mode. There appears to be some sort of echo, at least on mine. I got rid of this problem by using an old pair of Shure mic adaptor.
I may have Jaben replace the Pailiccs with a narrower plug.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #1,968 of 3,787

Exactly the same on my UE11. No idea what causes it either...
Quote:
Quote:

I tried the one's w right-angle plugs and didn't notice a big difference over std oem's.

One problem I find with the Pailiccs plugs is that the base is too big to be used w my iPhone when attached to a Mophie powerpack. You must use an adaptor or lose the top half of the Mophie case.

Also I noticed the JH16s don't work very well on the phone's talk mode. There appears to be some sort of echo, at least on mine. I got rid of this problem by using an old pair of Shure mic adaptor.
I may have Jaben replace the Pailiccs with a narrower plug.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,969 of 3,787
Here's a question/comment molded together...

The 16's are 18ohm impedance.  As such, they are going to be REALLY sensitive to amplifier output impedance.  I haven't seen an impedance plot for these, but it's clear that they are going to be way more affected by amp output impedance than a high impedance phone.

The bottom line is the closer the phone/amp impedances are, the more affect on frequency response for the driver you'll see.  For the JH16's, I'm assuming there will be a bass impedance peak, and if you're running a 10ohm output impedance amp, you could get an additional 3db or so of amplitude increase centered around the peak.  

So these IEM's will really benefit from lower amp output impedance to keep the frequency response from getting over-boosted in the bottom end, and maybe around the mid and tweeter impedance peaks, as well.  

Anyone have any specific desktop or portable amps with low (less than 2ohm) impedance, and some comments on how these compare to other amps which maybe in the 5-20ohm range?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,970 of 3,787

Quote:

What I mean is that the plug isn't the differentiating factor. Your same exact cable is also available with the Neutrik right-angle plug, and the stock-sounding one is also available with a Pailiccs straight plug. In my instance the stock-sounding one (we're probably talking about the same one) had a Pailiccs straight plug. I should've inquired more about the differences between these two Silver Dragon wirings before I departed.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #1,971 of 3,787
Help me pull the trigger...

I just got fitted for custom JH Audio IEMs, and at the same time was able to listen to universal fit demo 13s and 16s. I love the 13s, and love the 16s a lot of the time (I listened to FLACs coming straight out of my HM-601, and through the line-out to my Coda amp). Some of the time I found the bass response on the 16s a bit too much—perhaps even a bit distorted. A lot of the time, the extra bass on the 16s was wonderful, though!

I wonder if it's my 601, or the stock cable, but right now I'm leaning much more toward the 13s, mostly because I found myself saying I wish I could turn the bass down on the 16s sometimes but I didn't really find the bass on the 13s lacking. The 13s are definitely a more neutral sounding IEM, IMO. :)

I did a lot of listening to a lot of different material, and yet I'm still on the fence...

I've read most of this thread, but I wanted to ask a very particular question: have those who've heard the 16s with the stock cable and found the bass response a bit too much, and who then subsequently moved to a custom cable found that the custom cable was enough to tame the bass on the 16s?

As I said right now I'm leaning toward the 13s and from what I've read I'm willing to spend the extra dough on a custom cable for whichever one I end up getting, but I don't want to sit here in torment wondering if because I'm getting a custom cable anyway if I should just go ahead and get the 16s. I'm even considering an RSA Protector, based on all the positive feedback here.

Thoughts?

My audiologist awaits my email to release the hounds...

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,973 of 3,787

Quote:
Help me pull the trigger...

I just got fitted for custom JH Audio IEMs, and at the same time was able to listen to universal fit demo 13s and 16s. I love the 13s, and love the 16s a lot of the time (I listened to FLACs coming straight out of my HM-601, and through the line-out to my Coda amp). Some of the time I found the bass response on the 16s a bit too much—perhaps even a bit distorted. A lot of the time, the extra bass on the 16s was wonderful, though!

I wonder if it's my 601, or the stock cable, but right now I'm leaning much more toward the 13s, mostly because I found myself saying I wish I could turn the bass down on the 16s sometimes but I didn't really find the bass on the 13s lacking. The 13s are definitely a more neutral sounding IEM, IMO. :)

I did a lot of listening to a lot of different material, and yet I'm still on the fence...

I've read most of this thread, but I wanted to ask a very particular question: have those who've heard the 16s with the stock cable and found the bass response a bit too much, and who then subsequently moved to a custom cable found that the custom cable was enough to tame the bass on the 16s?

As I said right now I'm leaning toward the 13s and from what I've read I'm willing to spend the extra dough on a custom cable for whichever one I end up getting, but I don't want to sit here in torment wondering if because I'm getting a custom cable anyway if I should just go ahead and get the 16s. I'm even considering an RSA Protector, based on all the positive feedback here.

Thoughts?

My audiologist awaits my email to release the hounds...

You sound like me. I sold my JH16s in the end.

Get the 13s, or if you have the coin go for the JH3A/16 combo.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,974 of 3,787
You guys have me 2nd-guessing my orders this week!!  I just ordered the JH16's and a TTVJ Slim amp+DAC and cable.  For the same price I could get the JH3a+JH16.  Anyone here demo'd the combination and could speak to a SQ comparison?  Recognize I'd give up the option of going solo with the iPod Touch / JH's, but if there's a jump in SQ it's worth it.  Advise please!  (molds arriving at JH tomorrow...)

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #1,975 of 3,787
This may actually relate a bit to my earlier question on output impedance of the amp.  The higher the output impedance the bigger the boost effect on the bass will be, so I think the Z's, with their very low 18 ohm impedance REALLY need a low output impedance amp or their bass bump will become a small mountain.

I like bass, I design subs, but I was worried the 16 would have too much bump.  But with my portable amps, the SQ is really pretty awesome, as they both have lower output impedance.  I *ADORE* the sound of this rig.  

The downside of the 3H is the lack of portability.  IEMs are so great for road warriors, so getting a first-rate portable rig was my goal.  I am very happy with what I ended up with, though I still haven't sent my 16s in for that final addition of material to the right-ear.  Can't bear to part with them....

deadhorse.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,976 of 3,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm...I guess if I were to buy a Protector and a custom cable, it puts me in the JH3A/16 price range already; the only bad thing is that I would be tied to that combo forever....and the wait will be EVEN MORE MADDENING than just the wait for the IEMs.
bigsmile_face.gif

The trade: flexibility of amplification and (relative) immediacy or inflexibility and a wait? The latter doesn't sound great. It's not like the JH16/Twag/Protector combo would suck.
etysmile.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,977 of 3,787
Yah.  Choices.  Alas the JH3A requires different wiring.  It'd be great to not have to lock into one DAC/Amp for the 10 year life of the phones.  I groove on the idea behind the DSP, though.  They'll probably really rock. 

I just had to keep focused on portability and flexibility, as I'm always on the move, and I value being able to CHOOSE where I'll listen to music...   Being able to pull the digital out of my iPad and into the iBasso DAC/Amp is really nice around the house, on a plane, or wherever.  So I guess for me I'd take 97% of ultimate potential for the totally portable DAC/AMP/IEM rig vs 100% performance in a desktop rig.

If I were a recording engineer or only listened in one place it'd be a different story...

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #1,978 of 3,787

Quote:
You guys have me 2nd-guessing my orders this week!!  I just ordered the JH16's and a TTVJ Slim amp+DAC and cable.  For the same price I could get the JH3a+JH16.  Anyone here demo'd the combination and could speak to a SQ comparison?  Recognize I'd give up the option of going solo with the iPod Touch / JH's, but if there's a jump in SQ it's worth it.  Advise please!  (molds arriving at JH tomorrow...)

In all honesty the two aren't even in the same ballpark. The JH3A+JH16s will blow your current planned setup away if the set at CanJam was any fair indicator.

I can't speak in relation to the TTVJ specifically, but forget for a second the portability and imagine the JH16s driven by a flagship-class desktop DAC and desktop amplifier. The JH3a is better still -- possibly by the order of a few magnitudes.

The superiority of the unit isn't even a matter of subjectivity. It's science (wrt the active XO) and design.

You are however tied to the unit, as noted.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm...I guess if I were to buy a Protector and a custom cable, it puts me in the JH3A/16 price range already; the only bad thing is that I would be tied to that combo forever....and the wait will be EVEN MORE MADDENING than just the wait for the IEMs.
bigsmile_face.gif

The trade: flexibility of amplification and (relative) immediacy or inflexibility and a wait? The latter doesn't sound great. It's not like the JH16/Twag/Protector combo would suck.
etysmile.gif

It would suck when you find you have more bass than you want as you mentioned in your post just prior, and no dial to actively and audibly turn down that bass. 
wink.gif

It boggles my mind why people even remotely put-off by the extra bass go for the passively-XO'd JH16s, especially when there are products available (e.g. JH13, ES5, JH3a+JH16 et alia) that will get the bass "right" for them every time instead of most of the time.

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,979 of 3,787
Hi,
I have bought a pair of second hand JH16pro and since JH audio do not offer remold service I was wondering if somenone has already had his JH16pro remolded and where.
Or else what would you recommend I do?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,980 of 3,787
Quote:

etysmile.gif

It would suck when you find you have more bass than you want as you mentioned in your post just prior, and no dial to actively and audibly turn down that bass. 
wink.gif

It boggles my mind why people even remotely put-off by the extra bass go for the passively-XO'd JH16s, especially when there are products available (e.g. JH13, ES5, JH3a+JH16 et alia) that will get the bass "right" for them every time instead of most of the time.

You're completely right, of course. I was speculating that the JH16/Twag/Protector combo might tame the bass sufficiently, but it was just that—speculation.

Thanks for making me stick to my guns, 3X0! I'm going to get the JH13s to keep the sound signature I like along with portability and flexibility (rather than wait for the JH16/JH3A combo). And more importantly, I'm going to be happy with them!

I guess I should consider myself lucky to be choosing between the JH16s and JH13s—it's what you call a high class problem!

And now my next decisions...Meier StepDance or RSA Protector? And Twag cable or ALO cable or Moon Audio cable? It never ends!

I should never have come here to head-fi...my wallet will never be the same. I should really go back in time and warn myself never to come here. The only problem is that I wouldn't (have) believe(d) myself.

Sigh.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back