JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Nov 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #1,876 of 3,787
My units came back and now both seal when my jaw is shut, but noise leaks in if my jaw is partially open.  Guess I'll need one more "thickening" to get it totally tight.  But I sure love the sound and it's awesome for travel.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 21, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,877 of 3,787
hello,
I have had mine fo several months now. but still discovering them. I use them with my portable DAT player. quite wonderful. and ofcourse on stage. Amazing!
Has anyone ued them with Violectric V200 or Leben cs300x?
wonder how they would sound on them?

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #1,878 of 3,787
I have been dreaming about having my own pair of JH16's for along time now.
Sure ive got some great full sized cans they sound awesome through my Cary, but i find after a while they make my ears very hot and it becomes uncomfortable, eveen though sound is top notch.
My IE 8's are ok but again i am constantly moving them around for that right seal.
So i really think these are the way to go, they are portable i can sleep with them on and also can put them through the Cary.
Well after all that what im really trying to say is are they comfortable enough? Ive never owned customs before infact IE8 is the first IEM's ive ever had , never tried anything else.
And these JH16's tick all the right boxes.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #1,879 of 3,787
Depends, personally my ears simply cannot stand wearing hard acrylic for long, no longer than an hour before they start to hurt, even though the fit is absolutely fine. IE8 is considered an IEM with shallow insertion, maybe for starters, try some universals that has deeper insertion? Like westone series, SE535, etc.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #1,880 of 3,787
My counterpoint to Jyle's post is that the JH16's are the most comfortable earspeakers I've ever used. Getting them in and out takes some practice, but once they are in they don't bother me at all. I can wear them for hours on end without bother, and occasionally forget they are in.

At first I was hurting my ears putting in the right one, so I thought it was not as comfortable, but now that I've mastered the art of twisting it in correctly I can barely tell they are once inserted.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #1,881 of 3,787
Well i did say "depends" at the start of my post. Obviously some ppl can wear it for hours, and i'm not one of them. Comfort is just as subjective as the perceived sound, especially when the insertion tips are made of hard material, not soft, squeezy olives and the like.

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #1,882 of 3,787

Quote:
I have been dreaming about having my own pair of JH16's for along time now.
Sure ive got some great full sized cans they sound awesome through my Cary, but i find after a while they make my ears very hot and it becomes uncomfortable, eveen though sound is top notch.
My IE 8's are ok but again i am constantly moving them around for that right seal.
So i really think these are the way to go, they are portable i can sleep with them on and also can put them through the Cary.
Well after all that what im really trying to say is are they comfortable enough? Ive never owned customs before infact IE8 is the first IEM's ive ever had , never tried anything else.
And these JH16's tick all the right boxes.

I think like the reply's you have got so far sum's it up, the custom fit is different for everyone and the only way my friend to know for sure is to take the plunge and get a pair of customs even if it is not the 16pro's you start with maybe as just the JH5's are a notch up and some more to your IE8's. 

As from my experience also it did not work out for me fist time with fit (more to do with sitting correctly for SQ than any comfort issues)  and needed three refits with the third having new impressions  done by my dealer on the third time but got there in the end. 

If i am been brutally honest even now for me the fit is not dead on 100%, more like (at least) 95-98%, but the first was more like 75-80% at best and the second was more like 90% but not quite there which felt like the "so close, yet so far away" scenario and finally the third the the SQ was more spot on how it should of been to start with  for sustained listening time of how ever long i listen to them now which can be hours at a time no problems. Still have a feel and slight fiddle/adjustment once in a blue moon out of paranoia from my first three months experience  with them!

So even if they do not fit first time, JHA will work through it with you until it is right for you, even after a delayed two - three months of listening and refitting the wait is worth it once you get them back sounding perfect.  Hopefully you may be lucky first time! : )

But even now after my refit experience i could never, never go back to universals from the SQ perspective and will be customs all the way for the rest of my days on planet earth!

Take the plunge and dip your toe in the world of customs, you will never know otherwise...... : ) lol

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #1,883 of 3,787
My 16s went in for a refit.  They were expanded a bit, and are snug but not tight feeling and there is a definite drop in ambient noise, but not different than the se530's black foam tips.  

When I am on a plane and it's descending, at a certain point the seal gets much tighter and ambient noise drops to virtual silence (though I have to break the seal because the pressure becomes painful).  I am wondering if this indicates a further fitting adjustment is needed. Any fliers or other users have feedback on gauging when "done is done" on the quality of the seal?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #1,884 of 3,787
My thanks goes out to you guys for your shared knowledge on the subject of comfort & fit.
I have thought about it for a while now, logical answer is to get a deeper insertion IEM or JH5 to begin with, but thats extra money spent that i do not have the luxury of splashing.
As ca$h saved can go toward the JH16's. As these other IEM's will just sit there and gather moss.
I think as Fortis flyer 75 says i just gotta take the dip.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #1,885 of 3,787
Don't settle for a "good enough" fit, custom IEMs are meant to disappear so that it's just you and the music. If you accept good enough then you'll find that the poor fit will detract from your overall listening experience and consistently take the focus off of the music and onto your IEMs. Why settle for less when you're paying in excess of $1000. You have to be very accurate and detailed in explaining what the problem is when you send them back in for a refit.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,886 of 3,787
I don't know that everyone can get a fit that disappears.  I had two different impressions and several refits but it seems the closer to a good impression without a refit the better.  On my last impression it was from Jerry's main audiologist in LA and the only thing i changed was the length of the stems.  The fit is "good enough".  They disappears at times but not most of the time.  Many people have gone thru numerous refits, some have ended up just selling them others have ended frustrated, settling for as close as they can get.  People should be aware that not everyone can get that disappear perfect fit, I sure couldn't and I spent hundreds of dollars on shipping back and forth and two audiologist fees.  I have the 13's, took me about four or five months with those costs, i do like them a lot now that it is over but i don't know if knowing what i do now I would do it again, probably not.  It is a long and expensive road for many however i am aware that some are lucky enough to get it perfect the first shot.  Be happy that you didn't have to end up with "good enough".

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #1,888 of 3,787
dallan, thats kinda sobering news to hear.... (pardon the pun),
If thats the case then what happens when you live halfway across the world, as im in Australia?
Thats something thats definately got to be factored into the cost of buying these things, postage & audiologist fees.Hmmm this could get mighty expensive ye?
How many of ya out there got em spot on first time - needing no refits etc?

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,889 of 3,787
Stem was shorted due to "surfer's ear". Don't get me wrong though they do sound great and I use them often. In fact they are with me now. It's just that it was a lot more work and hassle than I had planned for originally. Also they lost my pair during a refit and I finally called, they didn't even know they had them but after getting a tracking number found them, refit and got them off same day. Lots of work, fit is within reason, sound good. If you want to go thru the custom thing the 16/13 is the way to go, but it is not as easy as just ordering a normal pair of HP's.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,890 of 3,787
Totally agree w dallan.

Just got my 16s two days ago. Left ear fits fine, struggled a bit w the right ear. Fit was tight which hurts when inserting and extracting. Less problem with afternoon and evening listening as ears expand a bit.

As of now, the fit is good enough, but I'm debating if it's worth the hassle and cost of remolding and posting back to FL from Asia for a re-fit. It could come back worse (?)....worth giving it a few more days for my ears to adjust.

On another note:- I wonder if JHA (or any other very high-end iem makers) would ever introduce universal 13/16s (like their demos)?

There would be a good market for them at, say 20%-30%, discount to the custom......just a thought.

Quote:
I don't know that everyone can get a fit that disappears.  I had two different impressions and several refits but it seems the closer to a good impression without a refit the better.  On my last impression it was from Jerry's main audiologist in LA and the only thing i changed was the length of the stems.  The fit is "good enough".  They disappears at times but not most of the time.  Many people have gone thru numerous refits, some have ended up just selling them others have ended frustrated, settling for as close as they can get.  People should be aware that not everyone can get that disappear perfect fit, I sure couldn't and I spent hundreds of dollars on shipping back and forth and two audiologist fees.  I have the 13's, took me about four or five months with those costs, i do like them a lot now that it is over but i don't know if knowing what i do now I would do it again, probably not.  It is a long and expensive road for many however i am aware that some are lucky enough to get it perfect the first shot.  Be happy that you didn't have to end up with "good enough".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back