JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Aug 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #1,681 of 3,787
Incidentally, my audiologist suggested that I occasionally put some olive oil in my ears to stop any build up of hard wax and help maintain the current shape of my ear canal.... sounds bizarre, but I'll give it a try now and again. 
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #1,683 of 3,787
The  bass on with JH16 is phenomenal. Compared to the JH13 the sound is much more full bodied. The JH13 I think are much better for reference IEMs as naturally they are more neutral than the JH16s. Basically I think that if you want a more precise sound the JH13 is better but if you want more kick to your music the jh16 pro is better. I used to wonder why people would keep the JH13 after having bought the JH16 and now I see why. The sound signatures really aren't the same and they sound notably different from one another. Even hearing a guitar strum with no bass or drums sound different on each IEM. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #1,684 of 3,787

Initial Impressions on the JH Audio JH16 Pros

marvinong reviewed Yesterday at 11:52 am

Note: These are the FIRST EVER PAIR OF JH16s IN THE PHILIPPINES.

​

This is an initial impression of the JH16s right as I got them out of the box.

Value: ***

I gave these monitors a 3-star value because these things really are expensive. I wouldn't call this the "perfect" monitor with the "perfect" sound you're looking for. But these do sound very very good. Nothing comes close to the quality you see and hear on these monitors.

If you have the budget, then go get it. If not, there are so many IEMs out there that will give you an amazing experience.

Audio Quality: *****

I haven't scrutinized the sound quality coming out of the 16s. But I must say this. Garbage in = Garbage out. 

Feed the Jh16s with FLACs, 320kbps MP3s and you'll hear heavenly music. 

Put on a 128kbps sample and watch your world fall apart.

Aside from that, all I can say is that these monitors give off amazing clarity and details. 

As a singer and performer, I would want nothing less than accurate sounds off my band members and accompanying music. These things definitely deliver.

Design: *****

Nothing beats custom artwork. 

The things you put on the monitors are yours and yours alone. 

The designs on my unit are close to my heart.

JH Audio definitely delivered on this aspect. 

Comfort: ****

There is the initial "learning curve" on how to put these custom earpieces in properly. (It took me about 10 minutes trying to fit the right earpiece in my ear). 

Once they're locked in place, they're locked. The earpieces won't fall or let loose as long as you send in quality ear impressions.

Isolation: *****

Once you put them on, they'll block out noise more than any IEM i've tried. You won't feel deaf, but it surely blocks out all unecessary sound so that you can enjoy your music at lower levels of volume.

Overall: ****

A great buy if you have the budget. You won't be dissapointed in the JH16s, but again, there are great IEMs out there that can give you the bang for your buck. 

If you desire clarity, details, and studio-like sound reproduction, go for these monitors. Just remember, garbage in = garbage out. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #1,686 of 3,787

Quote:
It took 10 mins to fit them into your ears??? Was that only the first time you did it, or everytime you put them on?

yeah, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what to do with em and how to put em in. lol. :) But it was only the first try. I can put em in now as qucikly as i put my other IEMs.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #1,687 of 3,787
I spoke directly with Westone Customer Service on a fit issue and their instructions were interesting. Pull the upper ear upwards while twisting the IEM into place. Be sure that it locks well into the helix (i.e. upper front part of the inner ear). Then push while moving the IEM in a circular motion until it is deep. Listen. Enjoy. It works well and should apply, I believe, to any custom IEM.  
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #1,688 of 3,787
Thanks, good to hear that! You kind of scared me when you mentioned 10 minutes. 
bigsmile_face.gif

BTW, do you wear them when you sing? Does the jaw movement affect the sound signature?

Quote:
     yeah, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what to do with em and how to put em in. lol. :) But it was only the first try. I can put em in now as qucikly as i put my other IEMs.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #1,689 of 3,787

My UE 18 Pros are my only pair of custom-made IEMs, maybe I was lucky or something, it literally took me 2 seconds to get them in place for the the first time at the shop, even the shop assistant was a bit shocked, he told me that most people needed at least 5 mins for the first time. Mine didn't even need any special twisting etc, I just pushed them gently and they are in.

Quote:
I spoke directly with Westone Customer Service on a fit issue and their instructions were interesting. Pull the upper ear upwards while twisting the IEM into place. Be sure that it locks well into the helix (i.e. upper front part of the inner ear). Then push while moving the IEM in a circular motion until it is deep. Listen. Enjoy. It works well and should apply, I believe, to any custom IEM.  
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #1,690 of 3,787

Quote:
Sounds like the right earmold got compromised somehow and the shell probably needs a correction.  I would be hesitant to request a refit on the left.  What you are experiencing is normal initial discomfort and will subside gradually in the next day or two until the soft tissue in your ear canal adjusts itself to the shape of the shell.  If they adjust, you may lose that perfect seal, which is essential.

The good news is that it is very likely this will be the last refit you need as it would be easy for Adam's crew to shave off a bit of the extra length based on your left shell.

Warp08

You were right on about my ears needing to get use to the shells. Even though my ears hurt for a while the first (Tuesday) night I could not wait to get home from work the next day and and listen some more. The pain was less the then the day before and my listening session was longer then the first and the next day was better still. By the weekend I was to the point where my left ear felt fine, but the right shell was still rubbing irritating the ear canal. The bass was good, but not anywhere near what I  expected after reading post after post here and other places. When I listened to the seal test from the Sensaphonics website the high tones were louder the the bass. On Monday I called an Audiologist listed on the JH Audio website and made an appointment to have  new molds made. Today I drove 125 miles round trip to see the Audiologist. She had me put my customs in and wear them for several minutes the whole time She had me move my head around, open and contort my mouth in several different ways, She then had me remove the customs and she used her otoscope to look in my ears for reddish spots. She then buffed some areas of the shells to shave off some length and also smooth out a area that was a little rough and then re-inserted them, WOW they felt great.

After work tonight I got a chance to listen to my new fit shells. The bass is more powerful and the sound has more fullness and huge dynamic range.

The fit is great now. I cant feel the left shell at all when it is in my ear. I can sometimes feel the right shell, but there is no discomfort.

My only complaint is that I cannot share this sound with my friends.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #1,691 of 3,787

Quote:

My UE 18 Pros are my only pair of custom-made IEMs, maybe I was lucky or something, it literally took me 2 seconds to get them in place for the the first time at the shop, even the shop assistant was a bit shocked, he told me that most people needed at least 5 mins for the first time. Mine didn't even need any special twisting etc, I just pushed them gently and they are in. 

...which i great. I posted the advice above because some people in this thread have been complaining about less than excellent isolation. Good insertion technique makes a difference. (In my case though, I have still sent my ES5 back for an enlargement refit. They are comfortable and sound wonderful but are a bit too loose.)

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #1,692 of 3,787

Quote:
ksc75smile.gif

This is the same procedure that the Audiologist used yesterday when she helped me with my fit issues. I have to say even before she shaved a bit off the fit was more comfortable.

Here is also a video that helped me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ59keE-GxM

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,693 of 3,787
Sorry I didn't mean to brag....
I just wanted to point out maybe the ear-mould making process was very important. Since the 18 Pro weren't particularly cheap and they are my first custom-made IEMs, I wanted them to be perfect. The audiologist came highly recommended by the retailer and she is quite experienced in making ear-moulds for IEMs (she told me she makes half a dozen pairs of ear-moulds per week on average). I did a lot of researches before the mould-making, I think how widely the mouth is opened when the mould is cast and how long the mouth is opened for is very important too, so maybe mine fitted so perfectly wasn't just an accident. I'd rather have something this expensive to be made to perfection by spending time on preparation before hand, than making compromises later on. Mine literally would just slot in without any efforts, they are very comfortable and the sealing is perfect.
A method that the retailer told me that he used himself, is to have the mouth opened before putting them in, not sure if that's helpful to anyone. :wink:

Quote:

...which i great. I posted the advice above because some people in this thread have been complaining about less than excellent isolation. Good insertion technique makes a difference. (In my case though, I have still sent my ES5 back for an enlargement refit. They are comfortable and sound wonderful but are a bit too loose.)

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #1,694 of 3,787
Danz03, a perfect fit is a beautiful thing and deserving of some pride. :). Opening the mouth during insertiin has a similar effect to lifting the upper ear (but the latter opens the ear canal a bit more).

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #1,695 of 3,787
Hmm.. Im curious why there seems to be a trend of misfits for the right ear? I also experience discomfort for my earpieces when i insert mine. It feels like the piece is putting pressure on the soft tissues in the canal and causing discomfort. Feels like the part in the ear canal goes slightly deeper than the one on the left. Left side is perfect though. I believe some of you may have the same experience as me.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back