JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #1,471 of 3,787

Quote:
Well the audio is perfect and the fit is with in the realm of acceptable.  I lay back in bed this afternoon with my laptop because i had a cancellation and almost fell asleep.  I am so autistic/ocd with some stuff that I just have to drop it and get used to it or it will never get right.  My only recourse now after already having a refit, i think would be to get another impression on my left ear.  Rubbing my fingers next to it I can't hear the fingers and the seal is fine, music is fine and fit is not painful nor really uncomfortable so really i think i am okay.  I will redo the left one if i get the JH-A/16 combo.  Also if in a couple of weeks i have not totally acclimated I may decide you guys are right and reimpression my ear.

Thanks for the input, still thinking about, it is a lot of cash for sure.

dallan have you tried the test for customs http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html ? if the seal isnt perfect you wont be able to hear the 50hz test. I could hear the tone on my left ear but not the right one as i couldnt get a seal to form. How did people get in touch with Adam? I emailed repairs@jh and adam@jh and haven't received an email back.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,472 of 3,787
Ah, heres a pic of my JH 16 :)
Collected it yesterday.

Any Team Fortress 2 Fan here ? :D

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,474 of 3,787

Quote:
Well the audio is perfect and the fit is with in the realm of acceptable.  I lay back in bed this afternoon with my laptop because i had a cancellation and almost fell asleep.  I am so autistic/ocd with some stuff that I just have to drop it and get used to it or it will never get right.  My only recourse now after already having a refit, i think would be to get another impression on my left ear.  Rubbing my fingers next to it I can't hear the fingers and the seal is fine, music is fine and fit is not painful nor really uncomfortable so really i think i am okay.  I will redo the left one if i get the JH-A/16 combo.  Also if in a couple of weeks i have not totally acclimated I may decide you guys are right and reimpression my ear.

Thanks for the input, still thinking about, it is a lot of cash for sure.

If both sides don't feel exactly the same you'll always notice it and worst of all I felt for me personally that it detracted from the listening experience as you aren't really supposed to be aware that the iems are there, it should just be you and the music.

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,476 of 3,787

Quote:
dallan have you tried the test for customs http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html ? if the seal isnt perfect you wont be able to hear the 50hz test. I could hear the tone on my left ear but not the right one as i couldnt get a seal to form. How did people get in touch with Adam? I emailed repairs@jh and adam@jh and haven't received an email back.

Just for reference, i tried the Sensaphonics test through intriguement and both the 500 hz and 50 hz was very close in terms of been both at the same level on both ears, but if anything it was the 500hz that was slightly more louder, so my seal must therefore be good, but not quite there which is what i am experiencing and strangely enough the email reply i got back from Adam @ JHA after my fit description has suggested just a couple of more layers of acrylic around the canal section for a better seal.

For the first time today since i have had them i used them whilst out and about in town and could still hear cars faintly in the back ground go by down the high street in town with some lower passages of music, but in general the sound quality was still fairly good and acceptable, not just as good as when i hold them in with my hands with a bit more pressure and then press down a tad from the top so the bore goes just a tad more in (talking fracttion of a mm here) it just goes from sounding acceptably good to just extending on that to becoming awesome with even more micro detail and transparency with a more defined detailed bass.

So guessing and hopefully that the Sensaphonics test does point to an incomplete seal which Adam has diagnosed as potentially being from my descriptions to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need to redirect the fit issue topics maybe to a separate thread like Qusp mentioned a couple of pages back and is it time to start having an actual appreciation thread for the 16's like the 13's have, catch up with the 13's 900+ pages! 

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #1,478 of 3,787
hi guys!

Would like an advice. A new guy here getting a JH13. I came from a SE530 and i love it. I commonly listen to music from john mayer, james morrison, dave matthews and the like. Female vocalist also really do it for me.  Occasionally i like massive attack and the likes too.

My impressions are still on the way to JH and i am not even sure this is possible....but i wonder(since i prefer it to sound simply impressive and don't are about it being accurate or analytical), would i enjoy my JH 13 + pico slim more or...should i just sell my pico slim and get a JH16 instead without an amp, since i am told that JHs are easily driven.

What do you guys think?

note: i got the JH13s at USD200 discount so if it's possible i need to top up USD250...

note to guy below me : haha stop tempting me. but srsly i probably need to choose

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #1,482 of 3,787
Thanks for the info guys. I am not sure if i got it right, but i thought amps drive earphones to sound tighter(not sure if it's the right word). To give enough power for the earphone to be what it should be. An extra amp wouldn't overdrive the bass right? I think i saw some ppl here who amp their jh16s as well i think.Any thoughts?

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #1,483 of 3,787
Last week I demo'ed the JH-13 and 16, and from what I can tell, JH-16 definitely has a more defined bass, it almost felt like my ear was put next to a subwoofer, but without the feeling of air being pushed into it!

Very phenomenal sound.. but I need to try the JH-16 more, because I'm afraid after 2+ hours of hearing thru the IEMs I would get tired by the bass.. what do you guys think?

I'm gonna head down to Jaben (local dealer) today and demo for 1 more hour or so, if I still really like what I hear, I will put down an order! 
L3000.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #1,484 of 3,787
AudioDelite, from my experience.. I tried both the 13 and 16 at Jaben. I tried the 16's first followed by the 13.. and i immediately felt that the 13's have something lacking. The 13's also sounded a little too analytical for my enjoyment.

I dont suppose anyone who has the 16's is "tired by the bass".. At least not that i know of.

I cant wait for my 16's to arrive within the next 2 weeks!
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #1,485 of 3,787

Quote:
AudioDelite, from my experience.. I tried both the 13 and 16 at Jaben. I tried the 16's first followed by the 13.. and i immediately felt that the 13's have something lacking. The 13's also sounded a little too analytical for my enjoyment.

I dont suppose anyone who has the 16's is "tired by the bass".. At least not that i know of.

I cant wait for my 16's to arrive within the next 2 weeks!
tongue.gif

There is a neutral (JH13) and then there is a natural (emotionally involving=JH16) representation.  I never get tired of the latter, but I realize the benefits of the former.  A lot depends on source/interconnects/amp combination.  I have briefly listened to the Pico Slim at Can Jam, and although I will not cancel my order because I love the form factor, it can't hold the candle to the RSA Protector with the JH16s for me.  At the same time, the JH13s sound annoyingly neutral, lifeless with the Protector, but are very enjoyable with a "warm" sounding amp, such as the TTVJ Slim.

At the same time, when I tested the JH16s with my RSA Raptor tube amp, on certain recordings, the bass was clearly over the top.  The JH13s mitigated that imbalance with that setup.  Keep in mind, however, that the source was a Modwright Sony 9100ES SACD Player with the Platinum Truth Signature Mode (Tube Preamped) also.

So the answer is--as usual--the "it depends."  How the JH-3A will change this remains to be seen, but for what I've heard, you could program virtually any sound characteristics via DSP programming presets with that gear, so you could make a JH16 sound like a JH13, if circumstances warrant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back