JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #1,456 of 3,787

Quote:
I done the same last night with my AKG K702's with modded ALO SXC cable and they sound a bit flat and un-dynamic, not as envolving  compared to the 16pros and am seriously contemplating doing something i thought i would never do in selling them, not really sure how much use they would get now having my 16rpros. 

Never listened to Grados, but what model would be near or on par if possible with the JH16's?
I wish AKG still done a flagship model that was in the HD800, 16Pro territory, that would be interesting.

Would love to still own a nice pair of full size cans that where on par with the JH Pro standard of sound but would then need the additional outlay of a top Head amp to partner it and i do not think even my Naim £600 headline amp would be good enough for the likes of a full size HD800 level of reference?

That is the beauty of these monitors in the 16Pro that it is not necessity to have an expensive amp as the 16's can sound pretty good just straight out of my Sony X Walkman X HP out that i get a buzz listening just this way and it when put with my Naim amp and my Arcam cd Player they sound even more impressive for sure but like the flexibility of the 16's in they can be used with my Walkman on the go one minute and then hooked up to my home rig for serious reference listening the next.

I've never heard the AKGs you have and I have a different source and an RSA Raptor amp.  But what I do have now is a pair of Denon D7000s, plus a pair of HD650s and $99 Clearance AD-W1000s on the way.  The Denon, using the stock cable could be an option for you, based on my short initial impressions last night.  At only 40Ohms they are very easy to drive, comfort is excellent and very musical.   It was very pleasant to switch back between it and the JH13 Pros.  Not exactly the same sound signatures but they seem to be at least somewhere in the same ballpark.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,457 of 3,787

Quote:
Hi Super Fied =)
I never could tell apart sources prior to getting the JH16s.. that's why I'm confused. XD
Ipod sounded fine with 2 driver livewires though. Maybe 16 drivers take much more to power (does it work this way?)

It's not the power or the number of drivers. It is a potential combination of:

1. low-end, miniaturized DAC chipset/non audiophile-grade subcomponents in the signal path (worse if you try to drive your IEMs thru a HP-out powered by a single transistor instead of a high-quality opamp
  2. low-quality interconnects (LODs, IEM cables, etc.)
  3. recording quality (bitrate/sampling freq./original master/lossy encoding)

I did have a 2009 iPod Classic.  When I tested it with the JH16s even with an RSA Shadow and Predator amps connected via an ALO SXC LOD using Apple Lossless source material, the music sounded satisfactory to me until the iMod arrived.  Once I got used to the iMod (and there are better sounding music players out there) and switched back, all of a sudden, the bass quality was poor and non-textured, sound stage noticeably narrower and mids/trebles were recessed.

The JH16s do an amazing job binging out the best to whatever you're feeding into them, but in the end, the entire chain has to be consistent quality to show what they really capable in terms of sound presentation.  

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #1,458 of 3,787

Quote:
I've never heard the AKGs you have and I have a different source and an RSA Raptor amp.  But what I do have now is a pair of Denon D7000s, plus a pair of HD650s and $99 Clearance AD-W1000s on the way.  The Denon, using the stock cable could be an option for you, based on my short initial impressions last night.  At only 40Ohms they are very easy to drive, comfort is excellent and very musical.   It was very pleasant to switch back between it and the JH13 Pros.  Not exactly the same sound signatures but they seem to be at least somewhere in the same ballpark.

eek.gif
 - I am just getting over the JH16 money vacuum let alone a pair of D7000's! lol

I know you are saying they are "somewhere in the same ballpark" but would i truly be happy with say D7000's when there have been apparently a few who have sold there HD800's once they got their JH1Xpro's as they found them that good? 

Anyway i'm good to go for a while with the JHpro's as my journey is just beginning with them and even though i have a slight fit issue that will be sorted out later on this month, but when i have them sweet in my ear at the moment they do simply blow me away how good these are and i really for the first time have felt reassuringly 100% justified i have spent that sort of money on them and now i am never looking back, it will always be customs for me when it comes to in ear monitors.

I would love to have a pair of full size can's that equalled the JHpro level of performance but have yet to get my first porta amp in the protector with the balanced Twag cable & lod and am seriously contemplating getting a second pair of JHpro's next year which will then give me the headache of debating whilst i am there whether to do the JH-3A amping route!?

Going back to my K702's though,  they are still good in their own right and feel they punch above their weight for their price bracket, and the instruments still have an enjoyable quality, but they know sadly lack in a few other departments (if not all!) that just stitch it all together to make that realistic but atmospheric listening experience like the 16's do second to none in an impeccable fashion.

To the point now i sadly am contemplating selling my 702's after the added effort of getting a modded cable for it.  Have to face reality of how many times will i now pick up my 702's now i have the 16's? 

How do you find your HD650's in comparison to your 13/16's? as they are on the same level for performance as the 702's. I have a feeling you will still like them as they share more in common  signature wise unlike my 702's which are more analytical, dryer and now have a conservative bass reproduction in comparison to my 16Pro's, so it feels like for me i have gone from chalk to cheese with mine so maybe it stands out a bit more in that respect.

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,459 of 3,787
Fortis,did you remade your artwork or still didnt send them?i am anticipating to see what Zac did to my 13s artworks and i hope it will be like the mock up.only 3 days till they arrive here according to ups.FYI,i didnt thought k701 punch in any area,there is always something wrong about their sound signature,too airy,artificial soundstage,metallic treble,shrill and thin mids....
i doubt i will ever sell my 650s even after the jh13.i dont like analytical sound for classical,i prefer warm relaxing sound for this genres.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #1,460 of 3,787

Quote:
Fortis,did you remade your artwork or still didnt send them?i am anticipating to see what Zac did to my 13s artworks and i hope it will be like the mock up.only 3 days till they arrive here according to ups.FYI,i didnt thought k701 punch in any area,there is always something wrong about their sound signature,too airy,artificial soundstage,metallic treble,shrill and thin mids....
i doubt i will ever sell my 650s even after the jh13.i dont like analytical sound for classical,i prefer warm relaxing sound for this genres.

Not yet on the artwork as i am holding on to them as i need them for a week away next week and will be sending them back on the 28th June for the art adjustment.

I have no worry's with mine as it turned out  due to a bit of a mix up mainly unknown to me at the time a 96dpi scan was used instead of a higher res version so this one will be more detailed and also bigger on the earpiece at the same time and with Zac reasurring me he knows what he needs to do i am confident it will be as i envisaged 2nd time around.

Look forward to seeing your artwork when you receive your 13's, be sure to post and show them off ; )

With the 702's when i used the word punch it was in context to how well they sound in general fr their price range rather than any reference to the bass department, but yes in comparison to even the 13's let alone the 16's they sound very restrained in their bass response now.

And yes in comparison again i think it is the uncanny precision and scope my 16's have with the sound stage imho i feel the 16's are actually better than the K702's which is one area i thought the customs would come second to a full size can. 

The 16's soundstage at times with certain songs has literally sent a shiver down my spine when it is combined with the delivery, impact and slam they have to offer,makes me want to cry with joy almost! lol

I am maybe a little surprised even though taking into account you have not heard your JH13pros yet with what you have just said about the HD650's with the classical preference you maybe did not plump with the 16's perhaps in that respect alone?

One thing that surprised me was the way the 16's handled classical just as well as any other genre i have listened on the 16's so much so that i have been actually listening to more classical than ever since i got my 16Pros as before i was more of an occasional casual listener of classical stuff, and the same with OST's now are just an awesome experience that i am going through my film collection of cd's all week.

A lot of Hans Zimmer has passed through my 16's recently and boy, feels like been in the recording hall with these orchestras it's so unbelievably and surreality in it's essence it has left me speechless that you find yourself immersed listening to hours on end not realising where the hours have gone, scary way to pass the time till death i say! lol

Last night, Batman - Dark night OST, so good i done two listening sessions back to back it sounded that impressive.

So, yes, like i said to Warp, i feel i would need to outlay approx the same again to get a full size pair of cans i could enjoy as much as the 16's now and before that happens i will get a second pair of custom monitors (hopefully next year) perhaps 13's, so will not be happening any time to soon with a full can. Could say my full size can project has been canned for now. 

Hence 702's sadly will be released into the wild at the weekend; commonly known as the "for sale" section on this forum.

Damn those 16's! ruined my love affair with the 702's.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #1,464 of 3,787
my right iem is slightly smaller than the left ... it has become apparent once ive gotten used to the feel of the IEM and is distracting. the seal on the left has a nice suction however the right just kinda stays there w.o the level of suction. its only cuz they are different that its noticable.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,465 of 3,787

Quote:
my right iem is slightly smaller than the left ... it has become apparent once ive gotten used to the feel of the IEM and is distracting. the seal on the left has a nice suction however the right just kinda stays there w.o the level of suction. its only cuz they are different that its noticable.

it funny you say this. I sent back my 13s to be tweaked for the exact same reason on Wednesday. I actually spoke pretty much that exact sentence to Adam on Thursday. He seems to think that all that is needed is few layers in strategic areas to build up the bottom section of my right side and then to make the bores/tubes a little wider to help with seal/isolation. It's just so funny I used that exact sentence this week.

Edit: the reason I sent mine back in this situation is that I feel it's worth it to go without for a week and have them perfect for the next 4-5 years then to go with, as is, now and have the fit almost. for this cost and sound quality, they should be perfect.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #1,466 of 3,787
i got a pair of 13s back after the refit and that is what i am left with but both do seal and sounds great, it is a bit distracting having one a suction seal and the other not though.  Music is good so i am not going to try again i don't think, sure i'll get used to the fit difference.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #1,467 of 3,787
hey dallan, I think (or hope) it's worth the time and effort to have them fit 'perfect' even if it means multiple refits if need be for little adjustments. not being run of the mill or off the shelf, they should be perfect. I thought mine were great for the first few days, then started to notice things I didn't want to live with for years if I could take care of it with-in a month (all fit related). I personally think it's worth getting them right, no matter how long it takes. for fit only, not art work, cable, etc. just  my .02.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #1,468 of 3,787

Quote:
i got a pair of 13s back after the refit and that is what i am left with but both do seal and sounds great, it is a bit distracting having one a suction seal and the other not though.  Music is good so i am not going to try again i don't think, sure i'll get used to the fit difference.

I'd send them back if I were you. You spent so much money on them and to not have them be perfect would be a shame. I tried to do the same but I could never get over the fact that they weren't perfect. A month would pass and I'd think to myself that if I had just sent them back they would have been back by now. I did end up sending them back and I'm happy that I did because they came back perfect. It took about a week and a half from the day I sent them until they arrived.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #1,469 of 3,787
Well the audio is perfect and the fit is with in the realm of acceptable.  I lay back in bed this afternoon with my laptop because i had a cancellation and almost fell asleep.  I am so autistic/ocd with some stuff that I just have to drop it and get used to it or it will never get right.  My only recourse now after already having a refit, i think would be to get another impression on my left ear.  Rubbing my fingers next to it I can't hear the fingers and the seal is fine, music is fine and fit is not painful nor really uncomfortable so really i think i am okay.  I will redo the left one if i get the JH-A/16 combo.  Also if in a couple of weeks i have not totally acclimated I may decide you guys are right and reimpression my ear.

Thanks for the input, still thinking about, it is a lot of cash for sure.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #1,470 of 3,787
I ordered the JH16 Pro last week.  Is it worth getting the Twag cable for it?  I'm not going to use it with a balanced amp, so it would be just be a regular cable upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back