JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #1,441 of 3,787
Just a quick one on the fit, i noticed on a you tube video where Jerry Harvey was actually present whilst a journalist was having his impressions done that the bite block was the taller length in his mouth so his mouth was opened wider, but i had my bite block with it the other way so it did not open my mouth as wide. 

Which is the correct way to have the bite block and would the way i had my bite block played a detrimental effect in it  me not getting a 100% perfect fit first time that i am currently experiencing?

Adam @ JHA reckons i need a couple more layers on the canal section to get the seal tighter.
They sound okay just in normally but feel quite fatigued quickly when listening to them in bed and fall asleep quickly, but  when i hold them in with some pressure and down a tad they just sound out of this world to the point i could spend the wee small hours listening to these without feeling tired and falling asleep.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,442 of 3,787
After I sent mine in for refit I can now comfortably wear mine at work for nearly 8 hours straight everyday with slight discomfort only coming in around hour 7 or 8.  Whatever juju happens to them they have by far gotten more comfortable to wear and sound better and full.

As a side note I listened to my Grado sr225s last night single ended out of the Protector and compared to balanced with JH16's it is almost boring.  Could be I am just so used to these IEM's that it would take a little while to reset my hearing back to open cans.  Not gonna do that just yet, havin too much fun with these IEM's for now.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #1,443 of 3,787
the grados are lost to you forever hehe

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,444 of 3,787
I done the same last night with my AKG K702's with modded ALO SXC cable and they sound a bit flat and un-dynamic, not as envolving  compared to the 16pros and am seriously contemplating doing something i thought i would never do in selling them, not really sure how much use they would get now having my 16rpros. 

Never listened to Grados, but what model would be near or on par if possible with the JH16's?
I wish AKG still done a flagship model that was in the HD800, 16Pro territory, that would be interesting.

Would love to still own a nice pair of full size cans that where on par with the JH Pro standard of sound but would then need the additional outlay of a top Head amp to partner it and i do not think even my Naim £600 headline amp would be good enough for the likes of a full size HD800 level of reference?

That is the beauty of these monitors in the 16Pro that it is not necessity to have an expensive amp as the 16's can sound pretty good just straight out of my Sony X Walkman X HP out that i get a buzz listening just this way and it when put with my Naim amp and my Arcam cd Player they sound even more impressive for sure but like the flexibility of the 16's in they can be used with my Walkman on the go one minute and then hooked up to my home rig for serious reference listening the next.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #1,445 of 3,787
as far as impressions go i didnt use a bite block ... saw no need, my mouth isnt agape like some neanderthal when im sealed off from the world. with that said my fit is particularly amazing. however with such a subjective nature to the situation then one can never really know if they are hearing the true sound of the 16s. sad, but philosophically true (w.etf that means).

what i did do, or my audiologist did, was talk to me throughout the process ... it was a bit more natural than the bite block. but my 16s fit very well. dont forget to continue rotating them im, ive found my seal to be better when i do so.

my left ear hurts after 5/6 hrs or so ... but rest every hour for 10+ minutes and that hasnt happened again. great cans, albeit slightly sibilant with mp3s (ugh) ill post full impressions later this week.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,447 of 3,787

Quote:
As a side note I listened to my Grado sr225s last night single ended out of the Protector and compared to balanced with JH16's it is almost boring.  Could be I am just so used to these IEM's that it would take a little while to reset my hearing back to open cans.  Not gonna do that just yet, havin too much fun with these IEM's for now.

Sell them and buy (nearfield) speakers. There are very few things that open headphones could possibly do better than the JH earpieces; speakers do these few things even better.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #1,448 of 3,787
Here's some more quick impressions for you guys.

I just have to say that I have never experienced monitors that allowed me to make such an intimate relationship with my music as I had the minute I started using the JH16's. They're just so damn engaging. I usually can just jump around my FLAC music library without feeling the need to listen to each selected track the whole way through, but with the JH16's this was just impossible.

So with the 16's snug in my ears for the first time, going through my music library alphabetically by artist became quite the arduous task. I tried to select special favorite tracks, but there was just no way in hell I was going to get around to not listening to certain albums in there entirety. Bjork's Homogenic completely floored me and when I realized that Radiohead wasn't even on the horizon I knew it was going to be a very long night. I actually had to call it a night once I finished listening to Depeche Mode's Violator. It was just too much for me to take in one listening experience.

Saying that my expectations were exceeded would be an understatement.

Comparing them to my Westone ES2's, which were lost/stolen not too long ago, it is fair to say that the JH16's are just in a completely different league. I also don't know when I'll ever need to use my Audio Technica A900's again. It's like I've been listening to my music in recessed mode this whole time. I just can believe such intimate natured monitors even exist.

The JH-16's right out of a Sansa Clip+ is a very impressive ultra portable rig. I can't imagine a more portable friendly combination for such a grand listening experience on the go. Going for a quick run will never be the same. I will also say that the Clip+ surpases my iPod Touch 1G throughout the frequency spectrum. The soundstage seems to have about the same spaciousness, but I do feel the Clip+ has an edge in imaging. Both had no issues with noise. 

At home I prefer to use the Go Vibe Petite - connected as a DAC to my PC via a USB cable. It offers plenty of juice for the JH16's to pack a punch in every sonic department. I'm getting an extremely tight, impactful low-end response that seems to extend to levels I never even thought existed, lush mids that make male and female vocals sound like they're in the room with me (scary), and sparkly highs that sound just right and not rolled off or absurdly exaggerated.

Even though I can't get enough of the Clip+ it definitely sounds thin compared to the Petite, but this was expected. And where the Petite completely dominates over the Clip+ is it's more spacious soundstage and more 3D-like imaging. Overall, I am pretty impressed with the Petite as my go-to source at the moment. I have a Nationite S:Flo2 on the way and I'm just hoping it is sonically closer to the Petite then the Clip+.

I have also been contemplating another DAC integrated amp like the Pico or D4. It's just nice to know that there's even room for improvement - but that's always the case here in Head-Fi. It's just so evil/awesome.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #1,449 of 3,787
perfect fit.

no bite block.

audiologist had a natural conversation with me instead.

great seal/sound.

with all of this doubt though, how can i be sure im hearing the monitors correctly ... existential much!?

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #1,450 of 3,787
Update: Not even drunk I still could fully enjoy them
ph34r.gif

So can't wait to join you soon with the enjoyment of the jh16 after the 1 successful refit I hope, any suggestion for the impressions ?.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #1,451 of 3,787
NVM, appropriate as JH appreciation, but will probably take the thread off course. check out the post edit history to see what I said. let me know if you think it deserving a thread of its own

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #1,452 of 3,787

Quote:
Just a quick one on the fit, i noticed on a you tube video where Jerry Harvey was actually present whilst a journalist was having his impressions done that the bite block was the taller length in his mouth so his mouth was opened wider, but i had my bite block with it the other way so it did not open my mouth as wide. 

Which is the correct way to have the bite block and would the way i had my bite block played a detrimental effect in it  me not getting a 100% perfect fit first time that i am currently experiencing?

Adam @ JHA reckons i need a couple more layers on the canal section to get the seal tighter.
They sound okay just in normally but feel quite fatigued quickly when listening to them in bed and fall asleep quickly, but  when i hold them in with some pressure and down a tad they just sound out of this world to the point i could spend the wee small hours listening to these without feeling tired and falling asleep.

That is my exact situation as well.  Me left custom is much too small, I can't get a seal unless I push firmly and hold it in.  I was getting a good deal of sibilance and it was fatiguing to my ears as well.  I too used a bite-block when my molds were done and I bit down on the shorter end as you did.  My audiologist said that was fine and I trust her as she has done molds for me before. 

So, I am hoping to get my JH16s back later this week after they do the re-fit.  I will post my impressions once they fit the way they should... 

...Oh, who am I kidding -- I can tell you there were moments there when I was able to get a decent seal that I was literally transfixed on the music.  I have never lost myself so much in a song before that brief glimpse...  so sad to send them back.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #1,453 of 3,787
I got mine today, they sound great and I don't seem to have any fit issues thankfully. Since you guys were talking about it, when I had my impressions I used the widest point on the short side of the bite block.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #1,454 of 3,787

Quote:

That is my exact situation as well.  Me left custom is much too small, I can't get a seal unless I push firmly and hold it in.  I was getting a good deal of sibilance and it was fatiguing to my ears as well.  I too used a bite-block when my molds were done and I bit down on the shorter end as you did.  My audiologist said that was fine and I trust her as she has done molds for me before. 

So, I am hoping to get my JH16s back later this week after they do the re-fit.  I will post my impressions once they fit the way they should... 

please do get back to us. I have the same issue with my right ear piece, if the issue is fixed i would be interested in what you told them to/had them do so i can get mine's fixed too.

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #1,455 of 3,787
i'm scheduled to get my 16's tomorrow.  woohoo! 
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
i'm excited and a bit anxious at the same time.  i had fitting issues with my last custom iem (ultimate ears 5c) which i had to send back about 3-4 times because of the fitting.  for my original molds, i opened my mouth as wide as i could and when i received the earphones, the right ear was much too loose.  i sent them back a few times and the fit was still off.  luckily, i visited my cousin in cali that summer so i actually went to their lab and had noy help w/ the fitting issues.  the fit was better but still not 100%, more like 75.  one day i had them on while i was studying and noticed that the bass improved dramatically when i yawned.  i realized that when i open my mouth wide, my jaw would actually dislocate from its socket and shift to the right.  when i closed my mouth, it would snap back to place.  very weird.  then i thought that my ear canals would be affected by this so i got new impressions done and had my mouth barely open w/ my lips closed, simulating how i am naturally when i'm listening to music.  the fit improved to about 85%.  the right ear is still a bit off, with the bass improving if i push in the earpiece, but i occasionally get a good seal.

this time, i actually used that bite block length wise and i didn't notice any jaw dislocation.  hopefully the fitting will be fine! 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back