JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #1,411 of 3,787

Quote:

Sonic, though I appreciate your enthusiasm, since you've not even heard the JH-3A, I'm going to ask that you stop posting these definitive fanboy statements in every thread you can find.  It diminishes the value of the posts done by people who have heard it, and it degrades the quality of this whole forum.  

There were some of us who were lucky enough to spend a few minutes (yes, only a few minutes) with JH3A/16s at CanJam, and a handful of us, most with at least few years of experience with a lot of gear, were impressed enough to buy on the spot.  Please note that other than initial very first-take thoughts, none of us are posting detailed statements or going on and on.  The reason is that we're sane.   Another reason is that we do not want to misrepresent the product or our experience with it by flying off the handle, posting rave hullaballo, etc. when it takes time to live with gear to actually say something meaningful that also might be helpful to others.

Let's let this thread stick with the op's intention and keep to discussing the JH-16s.

I apologize.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,412 of 3,787
My 16's should be arriving tomorrow (
basshead.gif
), and I will post impressions over the weekend.  My supply of amps and sources is limited, but I'm going to try the 16's (stock cable) with my iPhone 3g headphone out, the uDac headphone out, iMod 5.5 gen --> RSA Tomahawk and iMod --> Rx.  I don't have any decent cables to test uDac RCA --> Rx or Tomahawk.

One thing I'll be curious to see is how the 16's deal with the hiss from the Rx.  My W3's pick it up, but it's not distracting once the music comes on.  Even though the 16's are higher sensitivity with lower impedance, I've read that their older brother, the 13's, didn't hiss as much as they "should have" given their specs.  Hopefully the 16's are in the same boat.

That's all for now until I can actually do some listening.  And even though there is a new thread for this, I was order 1534.  Ordered 4/26, molds received 5/6.  I never got an in the lab notice or shipping update on my account page in the online store.  I directly emailed Jaime and she got back to me the next business day both times with updates on when my order would ship.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #1,413 of 3,787
Just for reference.....

For anyone who see my devil art issue i had after talking to Zac he managed to find out the dpi, even though i was sure i sent a high res originally there was also one i sent just for reference that i sent to my Dealer the week i put the order in and i think that one might of been used and it turns out the dpi on that one was only 96dpi ! 

So just wanted to clarify it was nothing to do with Zac in anyway for any one in the future reading these posts in their pre purchase state with that devil art a few pages back and hopefully now he has a 300dpi & 600 dpi i sent him it will have the detail there to start with and should look a lot better.

Back to fit issue briefly, which i think is changing a bit as i have had them a few weeks now, but  i noticed last night when laying in bed listening to them if i pushed in even further and down from the top at the same time it became more defined and had more clarity with even more micro detail and was just felt right and magical to listen too and am trying to work out with that method of adjusting i have done whether it is to loose in my ear or to tight or not as it feels snug and comfortable in general, but when i take my hand away from each ear they gradually lose the perfect  sound was getting and then sound a bit flat and compressed in relation and lose the enjoyment of listening to them.

Also noted last night i did not need them turned up so far and had it two steps down on the volume when i had my hand held there pushing them in, thinking that might be a tell tale sign also?

I think the bore is long enough even though i am not 100% sure on that. When i had my impression done the guy did push the cotton dam to the point just when you feel uncomfortable pressure in the canal before he retracted his tweezers so guess they must of been in far as they could go.

Have emailed JHA about the above, just wanted to know if that sane sort of same experience has happened to anyone else and if by that description anyone will know where it might not be fitting right?

I think it cannot be underestimated how much the fit side of it can play it's part between not just having lacklustre sound or discomfort, but even if just slightly not fitting correctly by a couple of % which i think mine are it might as well be a 90% loss in quality with these monitors when it is even only just off perfect fitment.

The reason i say that is i have been listening to my 16's since i got them on a fairly okay home rig with my Arcam cd player and Naim Headline amp and has been making my Sony X hp out not the same to a point where it's like... okay, it's still bearable but missing enough of that ingredient which  i  know i am  getting with my home rig and thinking can i just ever go out with my Walkman on the go now or just listening to it in bed and truely enjoy it anymore?

But when i was in bed last night listening to it and just experimenting and adjusting it in various ways until i found the right spot and how to achieve it my X suddenly come back to live with the 16's to the point i still could enjoy my Walkman without amping it if need be for when i am out and about and just thought to myself it is not just me having paranoia and am now sure they need a re-fit, but could not believe how much rest's on the fit of these things been 100% perfect to hear pure nirvana even just through a Sony X hp out and that is me saying that after hearing them on my more than capable home rig for a few days.

Irony is the experimenting with them last night is totally different to how i explained my fit issue on here last week which is slightly confusing and mystifying to me!

Will have to keep my hands glued on them to get that perfect sound until they go back to JH at the end of the month!

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,414 of 3,787

Quote:
Has anyone tried the 16's with any woo/tube amps, or do tubes introduce too much hiss?

My brief impressions of my 16s with my newly arrived RSA Raptor has been less fulfilling than I had hoped for.  Although the sound quality was impressive, the sensitivity of the 16s became an issue as I was able to hear a bit of crosstalk out of the right channel when I paused my SONY SACD player and could hear the whirring noise of the laser positioning motor in the background.  Since the 16s have only 18Ohms of impedance, I'm sure it is the issue.  I do have a relatively low-end set of AKG light headphones (forgot the model) with 28Ohms and that didn't pass this noise on.  Once I get my 13s back I will test again with those to validate this since those have the exact same impedance.

The hiss level did not become an issue, however, until about 50% volume level, which was, for me, unsustainably loud.  This may be why some of the dual JH13/16 owners with high-end full size audio equipment, specially with tube-equipped amps prefer the JH13s at home and the 16s on the go.  Tube amps tend to have a warm sound signature which complements nicely the neutrality of the JH13s, which is why I love to use them with the tube-sounding TTVJ Slim.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,415 of 3,787

Quote:
Just for reference.....

Will have to keep my hands glued on them to get that perfect sound until they go back to JH at the end of the month!

John,

Do yourself a favor, pick up the phone, call JHA and ask for Adam.  Explain your situation, let him take notes and send the phones back to them.  You should not be twisting, turning the things inside your ear to get the optimum performance.  They should simply snap into place on their own, once your ear canal soft tissue has adjusted to their shape, which it should of had by now.  Let them fix it, including your artwork and finally enjoy your investment.

Good luck!

L

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #1,416 of 3,787

Quote:

John,

Do yourself a favor, pick up the phone, call JHA and ask for Adam.  Explain your situation, let him take notes and send the phones back to them.  You should not be twisting, turning the things inside your ear to get the optimum performance.  They should simply snap into place on their own, once your ear canal soft tissue has adjusted to their shape, which it should of had by now.  Let them fix it, including your artwork and finally enjoy your investment.

Good luck!

L

Might not be a bad idea, bearing in mind Warp it will be an expensive call as i am in the UK (do not have Skype either) but may well be worth it as it is sometimes easier to explain talking to someone than typing something vague and as complex as ones ear shape and some plastic!

Will wait for the JH reply to my email first just to see what i explained so far makes any sense to them before i give them a long distance call,

Just found it weird around a week ago if i pushed them in it became muffled and now last night doing the same thing has had the opposite effect and actually improved it!

Also very optimistic about the art to be redone knowing my original devil was not at optimum dpi.

It has taken me a while but with these other posts with fit that people describe with their own personal experience it just helps fill in the blanks in determining if one's own fit is true and correct.

Unfortunately mine are slightly out i think even though strangely the same problem both sides despite them been fairly comfortable and no hot spot's and they do snap into place as you say Warp quite well, it is just a SQ issue with the fit which makes me feel with the comfort i ahve already they are not to far of been okay.

The other strange thing is they do not sound to bad if i insert them and do not push them into hard but as soon as i push them in fully, tight a seal as i can get it is still a bit muffled in the sound until i do the jiggle and twist and push back in again and down at the same time almost feeling the bore move a tad in my ear and the sound is just magic and get even more microdetail with openness without having to have it so loud either which to me might be a sign also. But only stays if i keep my hands asserting some pressure there as otherwise i lose that perfect SQ.

May explain the isolation thing i mentioned prior posts despite them apparently not meant to be perfect at 26- db albeit you can not hear your Lethal Jedi dog next to you barking though Warp!
When i do get them just right though, i cannot believe the SQ of these 16pros still.

Oh well, will have to wait and see from JHA first, enough of me warbling about the fit.

Are you tempted by the JH-3A Warp?  (or has your wallet gone awol at that prospect!)

Cannot wait to get the twag with a Protector soon  ; )

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #1,417 of 3,787
I would suggest you just send them with a note inside.
I have waited for 5 days for an answer about the refit problem and the reply dint answer any questions, it just said  "Send them I will fix it". So just do that and avoid more delays.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,418 of 3,787

Quote:
I would suggest you just send them with a note inside.
I have waited for 5 days for an answer about the refit problem and the reply dint answer any questions, it just said  "Send them I will fix it". So just do that and avoid more delays.

It's okay, i am going away in a week or so for a short break so wanted the 16's for then and will send back towards the end of the month when i get back as there still seems to be a bit of a backlog going on at JHA possibly with orders so in no rush to send back just yet.

Need a courtesy pair of demo's to tide me over from them! 

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #1,419 of 3,787

Might not be a bad idea, bearing in mind Warp it will be an expensive call as i am in the UK (do not have Skype either) but may well be worth it as it is sometimes easier to explain talking to someone than typing something vague and as complex as ones ear shape and some plastic!

Are you tempted by the JH-3A Warp?  (or has your wallet gone awol at that prospect!)

Cannot wait to get the twag with a Protector soon  ; )

Sometimes it helps to have an interactive exchange vs a static block of test but the call is your call (pun intended). :)

Yes I was tempted enough by the JH-3A to have placed an order prior to leaving for Can Jam just to test their Web Store functionality. The good news is that it has worked perfectly and so now I can look forward to my next Amex bill with great anticipation. :frowning2:. But you gotta pay to play.

The TWag is icing on the cake but you gotta fix your 16s first for it to matter.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #1,420 of 3,787

Quote:
My brief impressions of my 16s with my newly arrived RSA Raptor has been less fulfilling than I had hoped for.  Although the sound quality was impressive, the sensitivity of the 16s became an issue as I was able to hear a bit of crosstalk out of the right channel when I paused my SONY SACD player and could hear the whirring noise of the laser positioning motor in the background.  Since the 16s have only 18Ohms of impedance, I'm sure it is the issue.  I do have a relatively low-end set of AKG light headphones (forgot the model) with 28Ohms and that didn't pass this noise on.  Once I get my 13s back I will test again with those to validate this since those have the exact same impedance.

The hiss level did not become an issue, however, until about 50% volume level, which was, for me, unsustainably loud.  This may be why some of the dual JH13/16 owners with high-end full size audio equipment, specially with tube-equipped amps prefer the JH13s at home and the 16s on the go.  Tube amps tend to have a warm sound signature which complements nicely the neutrality of the JH13s, which is why I love to use them with the tube-sounding TTVJ Slim.

That is why Ray recommended to me the Apache over that of his other creations(I was set on getting the B-52)....dead silent with custom iems and plenty of control in volume...

Its a characteristic of tube amps really and unfortunately, which really prevented me from getting the Woo Audio 22.  I love tubes, but that will come in the form of Headamp's Blue Hawaii SE....

I guess I will be joining you guys in the JH 3-A combo soon though lol!

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,421 of 3,787

Quote:
That is why Ray recommended to me the Apache over that of his other creations(I was set on getting the B-52)....dead silent with custom iems and plenty of control in volume...

Its a characteristic of tube amps really and unfortunately, which really prevented me from getting the Woo Audio 22.  I love tubes, but that will come in the form of Headamp's Blue Hawaii SE....

I guess I will be joining you guys in the JH 3-A combo soon though lol!

Join now!
smile.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,423 of 3,787
I'm using a 80GB ipod classic (2007 version) without an amp (gave to my friend) and the bass sounds distorted and muddy, like there isn't enough power. Feels like it covers the rest of the sound.

Plugged it into my logitech z5500 control pod, which is connected to my cheapo creative x-fi Extreme Gamer soundcard, and it sounded much better.

Been using rockboxed clip+ as my portable, and haven't used the ipod in a while.
Am I imagining things?

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,424 of 3,787

Quote:
I'm using a 80GB ipod classic (2007 version) without an amp (gave to my friend) and the bass sounds distorted and muddy, like there isn't enough power. Feels like it covers the rest of the sound.

Plugged it into my logitech z5500 control pod, which is connected to my cheapo creative x-fi Extreme Gamer soundcard, and it sounded much better.

Been using rockboxed clip+ as my portable, and haven't used the ipod in a while.
Am I imagining things?

You're certainly not. The JH Customs scale up/down depending on the type of amplification/player it uses...

It's not always about snake oil and placebo you know?
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #1,425 of 3,787

Quote:
You're certainly not. The JH Customs scale up/down depending on the type of amplification/player it uses...

It's not always about snake oil and placebo you know?
wink_face.gif

Hi Super Fied =)
I never could tell apart sources prior to getting the JH16s.. that's why I'm confused. XD
Ipod sounded fine with 2 driver livewires though. Maybe 16 drivers take much more to power (does it work this way?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back