JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 26, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #991 of 3,787
Super fied - Apart from customer services issues, could you please share your experience on the 18 Pro compared with 16 / 13 Pro? I currently own the UE18 Pro, what are the differences I should expect if I am getting my hands on the 13 /16 respectively, soundwise?

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Jude and super-fied are the only guys with all 3. Personally I think it's overkill to own all 3, but maybe I'm just jealous that you have that kind of cash to burn. Spending close to 4Gs on IEMs is absolutely sick, but if I ever won the lottery these would be my first 3 purchases. IMO, your money is better spent upgrading your sources/amps/cables or getting a full-size can.

Yup, I have the 13s, the 18s (which I have since returned to UE for a refund) and the 16s are incoming. (I have heard the 16s to make the order)

All 3 are excellent in their own way. But for those proceeding with the UE-18s, BUYER BEWARE. While the 18s are excellent, nothing shocked me more than the piss poor after sales service that such a mega conglomerate can provide.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

May 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #992 of 3,787

Quote:
Super fied - Apart from customer services issues, could you please share your experience on the 18 Pro compared with 16 / 13 Pro? I currently own the UE18 Pro, what are the differences I should expect if I am getting my hands on the 13 /16 respectively, soundwise?

Hey googleli,

If you read my post a couple of pages back, I mentioned this

"I love the 18s. I said before as compared to the 13s, the listening experience is akin to that of being in a concert hall, the soundstage is massive on those babies while the 13s seem like you're listening to the music in a more intimate setting. The 18s are constructed very differently, having a custom tubing encasing the drivers to direct sound into your ears. That may explain why I'm often hearing details or layers of the mix "outside" of my head before the music gets piped  into it. It's a weird feeling I tell you."

So in short, I found the 18s to offer a wider soundstage and to be a little more analytical than the JH customs. I thought the mids came out pretty well on the 18s as well,which also could explain why I didn't like it paired with the TTVJ slim. It brought the mids a little too forward for my liking. Correction, I hated the pairing. I loved the 13s with the TTVJ slim. It was splendid! Everything was presented in a somewhat perfect balance.(Pity I wasn't going to spend anymore on portable amps as I am concentrating on my STAX and Dynamic rig)

If you were looking at another custom to get on the JH camp. I'd really be hard to pressed to tell you which. I

I'll also take the opportunity to address Fortis's question as well on which amp to use.I do have 3 amps at my disposal which I own and I think I pretty much found which goes with which.

The pico slim and paired very well with the 13s-Really loved how the veils of my music were removed and how the bass was a lot more improved on the 13s, lending a very nice "thump" to the bass spectrum, HOWEVER, I had a good listen with it on my 16s and I didn't like the fact that it made the bass of my 16s sound boomy and taking away the improved clarity it had brought to my customs. Wasn't a fan of it at all, to say the least.

The protector was to have been paired with my UE-18s-oved it like anything when I had it. The RSA sound signature sounds more "in your face" typically. Soundstage was also noted to be wider than that of my other 2 pico amps. When I refunded my 18s, I thought that was it and I wanted to sell the protector away.Fortunately I was wrong. When I paired it with my 16s, the overall sound signature of the 16s sounded much more "robust" and I really loved how aggressive it sounded. Everything just felt "in place" and the 16s were already sound very very dynamic, more so than that of my 13s. It was really fun checking out the different genres like deep house, jazz, contemporary and progressive rock amongst others to hear that extra oomph in my music. In short, it really sounded as if I was in the concert/studio.Very nice.

The pico amp/dac combo went well with my 13s which was my first foray into portable amps.The pico phat sound, IMHO, is a lot more laid back and warmer than that of the pico slim. I enjoyed it a lot with my 13s and I didn't really see the need to try it out extensively with my 16s as it was outgoing to a friend of mine. But I heard it for a short while and thought it sounded pretty alright with the 16s, nothing fantastic from the top of my head.

In short, my portable setup is pretty simple-

Pico slim/(ttvj slim, if ever someone was considering that), no I don't own it. with 13s

Protector with 16s (highly recommended by me)

With regards to the 3 customs, do I have any regrets owning any of them?No. However you might want to consider the 13s over that of the 16s if you are looking for a more versatile custom that will do well with just about any amp because of its relatively neutral frequency response. The 16s may be a little more tricky to match with amps as I found that it was excellent in the mids besides the added bass of course-lending to the more dynamic nature, something which you already have with the 18s (in terms of the mids)

Disclaimer:These are just my personal opinions and experiences based on the equipment that I actually own/owned. So don't shoot the messenger if you think the messenger is delivering crap yes?
k701smile.gif

May 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #993 of 3,787
Yeah, it seems that my initial thoughts on the bores in those pics were wrong.   After some research, it appears that it is completely normal for the bores to look like that.  I was just comparing them to my Fisher/TF10 customs and expected them to look the same. 

Sorry 'bout that.

May 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #994 of 3,787

Quote:
This is starting to trouble me a little.  Even taking into account the different shape of people's ear canals and outer ears, how do the lengths of the tubes and the degree the bores are recessed seem to vary so much?  And how do these sound amazing to some, and disappointing to others?

I wouldn't worry about it- the ones I've seen are all constructed that way. I'll gather a collection of my friends' 16s and take macro shots of the bores to allay anyone's fears....lol

My personal 16s have a perfect fit and are definitely not sounding recessed....in fact I'm shocked at how much sustain the notes seem to have on the 16s, over that of my 13s.

Like I said, if anyone is worried...there's always adam@jhaudio.com for one to ask questions. Adam is a fantastic guy to talk to.

May 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #996 of 3,787
Agreed, some people here may be getting worked up over something that may in actuality be cosmetic and have no effect on sound.  Perhaps the shape of someones canal determines the length of the bores to be tuned correct.  If this is the case then we would all have slightly varying tube lengths.   As stated before Adam would be the guy to talk to this about.

May 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #997 of 3,787
Quote:
1528 has been delivered according to facebook ...

Check out that guys feedback on the facebook page. His # is 1528. Im #1586, so I wrote that maybe ill be getting my in the lab email soon. Then another guy posted and said hes #1484 and has NOT recieved his yet. Something is seriously wrong here
confused.gif
. Unless he miss typed and meant to put 1584, but im not sure.

May 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #998 of 3,787
I don't think order number is an exact way to judge the timeline of production.  The number is generated when you order, but it seems like the queue is based on when they receive your impressions.  Also, I imagine that things like artwork and colors can affect the speed of production.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much that you'll get your 16s before next Friday, based on what I've been told about my own order.  But who knows.  Besides, you'll only be gone a week--I'm going to be gone for 3
ph34r.gif

May 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #999 of 3,787
i mean i KNOW WHEN they got my impressions, but its listed as received 8 days later on their website, and they only changed the status AFTER i emailed them to make sure they got them. I overnighted them so i know they got there the day after, i actually have the time when it arrived. so this process is so angsty its annoying. they could have told the customers about the delay with the volcano instead of word of mouth alas ... if thats the case then im saddened i wanted to get mine before memorial day. heres hoping for july 4th ...

no artwork FTW!!!

May 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #1,002 of 3,787
Well, they have not interacted at all today on their Facebook page or updated any pics for a while which is hopefully a good thing as it must mean they are very busy bees getting this backlog out the door.

May 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #1,003 of 3,787
May 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #1,004 of 3,787
Get the feeling they need a bigger team @ JHA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back