JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Apr 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #451 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question: I was just on the jhaudio website and when i go to the page for the jh1pro you get all those engraving, colour and artwork option but also an option for an airvent. This will cost 50 dollar but what does it do? Is it only cosmetic or will it change the sound?
Also I cant seem to find any contact information on their website....
Greetings, Anouk,

I believe that that feature is intended to allow outside noise to enter the headphone, and it's primarily used by stage musicians to adjust to the level of attenuation by letting them hear some outside noise. Eventually, they're intended to be closed off.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #452 of 3,787
I just got my 16's and they're pretty freaking awesome. There are too many good things that come to mind right now that I want to say but I want to reassure people that the bass does not overpower the rest of the spectrum which i know some people are worried about. The bass just has this texture to it which is hard to explain. Between lack of sleep last night and over whelming sonic bliss I'll have to wait a day to post a real impression. I may have send them back for a slight refit too which I am NOT looking forward to. Oh and SE vs Balanced with the protector is like a different world from the quick A/B i did (though it was standard JH cable vs balanced TWag)... back to listening!!
dt880smile.png

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #453 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks PMA - I will try to at least list more common songs since you'll be more likely to have them. I will list individual songs later tonight.

Do you have Dire Straits, Norah Jones, Jeff Buckley, Queen or David Bowie?

Thanks
Erik

Also can you just pick some of your acoustic songs you have and just switch between Treble Boost and no TB to see what you think? It would actually be more beneficial for you to use songs you know very well to see if they sound better/worse or indifferent on your end

I just got my 16 refits back and I have to second FrGus' question/challenge... although they sound much better in the mids and highs and are more comfy than when first received (JH had to remove 1-2 mm of length on the earpiece refit), I still feel like the treble boost EQ adds more when on. I've been listening all day and switching back and forth on songs I know VERY well and 9 out of 10 times I prefer the TB on. This goes for some Queen, Norah and Dire Straits as well... I tried explaining it to my fiancee and likened it to when, back in the day, you had a bad dub on a cassette tape and turned on the Dolby feature to smooth out the harshness. Made it sound better but it almost added a veil in front of the highs. I kind of feel like someone hit the Dolby button. The 1 out of 10 times that I did not prefer the TB on was for those acoustic songs that were recorded with a very forward sound and therefore made the highs too harsh out of the gate.

Now don't get me wrong, the 16s don't sound bad by any means. Bass is great, full soundstage, and the detail is phenomenal. In fact, I have been listening to my SRH840s a lot since ordering these in early Feb and being without an IEM for 2 months, they got a lot of use. Once I listened to the 16s for an hour or so, I went back to the 840s for S&Gs, which are a really decent pair of closed phones and they sounded bassless and really lightweight. This was very surprising to me as the 840s were always a phone I could count on for nice SQ!! After the 16s, they just sound kind of blah!

For reference, I have been listening to all Apple Lossless switching between a 3GS and 5.5g 80GB -> ALO Cryo LOD -> SR71A

I just wonder if my fit is on par or if it is still interfering with the highs a bit. I think I will keep listening for the next few days and see what happens.

Just wondering - should you be able to carry on a conversation with someone speaking at normal volume when the monitors are in but not playing music? Thinking my seal may not be perfect as I can hold a conversation and hear the TV when they are in but no music is playing. I just know when I had my se530s that I could not hear a blessed thing with those puppies in so I would think that customs would at least offer the same isolation?

Any comments/feedback is very much appreciated!!

RoCK oN!

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #454 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my 16's and they're pretty freaking awesome. There are too many good things that come to mind right now that I want to say but I want to reassure people that the bass does not overpower the rest of the spectrum which i know some people are worried about. The bass just has this texture to it which is hard to explain. Between lack of sleep last night and over whelming sonic bliss I'll have to wait a day to post a real impression. I may have send them back for a slight refit too which I am NOT looking forward to. Oh and SE vs Balanced with the protector is like a different world from the quick A/B i did (though it was standard JH cable vs balanced TWag)... back to listening!!
dt880smile.png

Congrats you lucky SOB!!
atsmile.gif
lol How long did it take to arrive from when you ordered them?

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #455 of 3,787
well depends on how loud the tv is and the conversation is. 26db of isolation is more like a soft speaking person carrying a conversation with you. you have the iphone 3gs right? download the UE app. it has a fairly accurate decibel meter in there. turn it on and compare it to things you can hear. i find that the best way to gauge.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #456 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH16 initial impressions and comparison to UE11's:

- The biggest difference between the UE11's and JH16's is that the bass sounds just a bit more "mushy" than the JH16's. It's not noticeably bad with the UE11's just a minor difference (to me). If the JH16's need some "burn in", my impression may change in time and I will post again if so.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for the impressions PMA. The quality of bass is different but what about quantity? ie: does the jh16 have more or less bass emphasis than the ue11? If so by how much?
cheers

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #457 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats you lucky SOB!!
atsmile.gif
lol How long did it take to arrive from when you ordered them?

It basically took 4 weeks since I got caught in all the preorder backlog. I got my impressions done by Beth Orliss which were great (she rocks), but it looks like my left canal is too long, though I have great seals in both ears.

I don't know where I read this but someone was wondering how they knew if they had a good seal? The easiest way to do it I think it to stick your fingers in your ears so that you can't hear anything (like when you were a kid and didn't want to hear someone), then do a very low bassy hum. You'll notice that the bass in the hum will feel like reverberates through your head, thats how it should sound when you put your customs in.

(ps, that JH booklet really is funny, and a few great jokes in there including one about seals that made me burst out laughing)

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #458 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudalicious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my 16 refits back and I have to second FrGus' question/challenge... although they sound much better in the mids and highs and are more comfy than when first received (JH had to remove 1-2 mm of length on the earpiece refit), I still feel like the treble boost EQ adds more when on. I've been listening all day and switching back and forth on songs I know VERY well and 9 out of 10 times I prefer the TB on. This goes for some Queen, Norah and Dire Straits as well... I tried explaining it to my fiancee and likened it to when, back in the day, you had a bad dub on a cassette tape and turned on the Dolby feature to smooth out the harshness. Made it sound better but it almost added a veil in front of the highs. I kind of feel like someone hit the Dolby button. The 1 out of 10 times that I did not prefer the TB on was for those acoustic songs that were recorded with a very forward sound and therefore made the highs too harsh out of the gate.

Now don't get me wrong, the 16s don't sound bad by any means. Bass is great, full soundstage, and the detail is phenomenal. In fact, I have been listening to my SRH840s a lot since ordering these in early Feb and being without an IEM for 2 months, they got a lot of use. Once I listened to the 16s for an hour or so, I went back to the 840s for S&Gs, which are a really decent pair of closed phones and they sounded bassless and really lightweight. This was very surprising to me as the 840s were always a phone I could count on for nice SQ!! After the 16s, they just sound kind of blah!

For reference, I have been listening to all Apple Lossless switching between a 3GS and 5.5g 80GB -> ALO Cryo LOD -> SR71A

I just wonder if my fit is on par or if it is still interfering with the highs a bit. I think I will keep listening for the next few days and see what happens.

Just wondering - should you be able to carry on a conversation with someone speaking at normal volume when the monitors are in but not playing music? Thinking my seal may not be perfect as I can hold a conversation and hear the TV when they are in but no music is playing. I just know when I had my se530s that I could not hear a blessed thing with those puppies in so I would think that customs would at least offer the same isolation?

Any comments/feedback is very much appreciated!!

RoCK oN!

My 2 cents is that if you still feel like you lack treble, you may want to have them take another mm off. On a properly fitted JH16, there should be no artificial "boost" needed on any part of the spectrum, assuming you have normal hearing.

With my 16s on I can hear no conversation or TV sound spoken right next to me at a normal volume level. In fact I can barely hear my Bichon barking and he barks LOUDLY.

I hope this helps and sorry about your prolonged fitting process. I still believe JHA will fix you up right if you continue to work with them.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #459 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by customNuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions PMA. The quality of bass is different but what about quantity? ie: does the jh16 have more or less bass emphasis than the ue11? If so by how much?
cheers

I can't say definitively that the bass quantity differs between the UE11 and JH16. I believe I am hearing an improved distribution of frequencies in the JH16 so that the highs, mids and lows are better defined. For the bass in particular, it is just tighter/crisper with the JH16's but not overpowering of the mids and highs. Overall, the sonic quality is better with no specific emphasis that is apparent.

Cheers,
Paul

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #460 of 3,787
I have a question for JH13 or JH16 owners about the cable. I've seen some posts that claim a change of cable will improve the sonic quality. Can anyone confirm this with some details on what actually changes? If this is the case, why wouldn't JH offer better cables to begin with?

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #461 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by "PMA=
It's not noticeably bad with the UE11's just a minor difference (to me). I appreciate the better sound of the JH16's but it's not a significant difference where a touring musician would not want to use UE11's.

The JH16's also sounded better than the UE's but not dramatically so. Your mileage may vary but both are high quality sounding IEM's with the obvious edge going to the newer technology in the JH16's.

I own the fabulouse JH11 i bought 1 Year ago, so have replaced my TF10.
The difference between the bouth does not affort any discussion.
The JH11 represent another class.

Last week i get the new JH16 for testing. I was little sceptic, because couldnt imagine that this JH11 with its soundage (the JH13 are to flat for me) could be better...
But! It is just incredible, the JH16 plays again in another class. In Fact they downgrade the JH11.
When changing to JH11 they sounds quite dull and far away from the Stage.
The biggest difference for me is the transparency on the heights wich sound so clear, so detailed, that it seems so, when heavy curtains have been opened.

Originally Posted by customNuts
"Thanks for the impressions PMA. The quality of bass is different but what about quantity? ie: does the jh16 have more or less bass emphasis than the ue11? If so by how much?"

Tha bass is other, deeper, more precise. At the first hearing i miss the Bass of the JH11. But the strong Midbass has changed to low Bass on the JH16.
So this produce more harmony for my taste.
The JH16 sounds like an big brother of the JH11.

After this test i am quite impressed about the dramatic improovement, so i must get them.

Please excuse my "exotic" english. I hope thats enough to understand what i wanted to say.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #462 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by PMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question for JH13 or JH16 owners about the cable. I've seen some posts that claim a change of cable will improve the sonic quality. Can anyone confirm this with some details on what actually changes? If this is the case, why wouldn't JH offer better cables to begin with?

Here is an interesting presentation on Youtube from AES (Audio Engineering Society) 2009. I think it does an excellent job explaining why some people perceive sound changes with different cables when the engineers designing the products we are here to discuss seem to indicate otherwise. However, some will disagree with the conclusions in the presentation (I'm attempting to be as diplomatic as possible). The video is not about headphone listening in particular, but it would stand to reason some of the same phenomenon discussed would apply.

YouTube - Audio Myths Workshop

There is another thread on this video in the Sound Science forum... I don't think we need to crap up this thread with debate about cables...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/a...xposed-470746/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back