JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #571 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again lets not forget that we are sending in a completely UNIQUE impression of our ears, from 100's of different audiologists who ALL do this process a little bit different. This is not an exact science. Everyone's impressions and fit will be unique. I find it a bit odd to question a company's quality because maybe 30 - 50 out of 1000's of pairs needed a tiny adjustment in fit.

I for one had mine resent back in because my impressions were too deep. I knew this when the audiologist made the impression, but because this was my first pair I had no idea whether that was good or bad. Had I had a couple of pairs of customs I would know what to tell the audiologist now about fit. I can say factually that fit WILL affect sound.

Also, this is a brand new, primarily "handmade" product and there will surely be mistakes here and there and that is not anything to be critical about.

I would say if this makes you uncomfortable there are plenty of universals that you could buy but you would be missing out.

Have a little faith, I promise it is worth it.

Mm to deap..? My audiologist poked really hard my ears to make sure it was the deepest it could get..(my ears were sored for weaks) I warned jhaudio about these but something says me they will just forget this and I will have fit problems
frown.gif

May 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #572 of 3,787
FRGus, I do like your attitude. I am also thinking that time will resolve any issues.

I certainly will get customs - just don't know if they will be JH16s, JH13s or ES3X - but anyway not until I can visit a JH rock star audiologist next time I am in Toronto. That is at least a few months down the road.

May 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #573 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mm to deap..? My audiologist poked really hard my ears to make sure it was the deepest it could get..(my ears were sored for weaks) I warned jhaudio about these but something says me they will just forget this and I will have fit problems
frown.gif

That is a slightly different experience i had last friday when i went ofr my impressions at my UK dealer.

When my audiologist inserted the stopper into my ear he pushed in gingerly but just put enough pressure that it was just short of been uncomfortable and then squeezed that lovely cold gel stuff into my ears.

I had a lot of faith in my audiologist as he said he has not had refit issues for the ten JHA customers he has done so far and also does his own ear impressions as he personally has customs which really impressed me pardon the pun! lol

So like FRgus said our ears are uniquely different and a lot of it i think can come down to the audiologist and how good they are.

Fingers crossed i have not cursed myself and will not be the first one at my UK dealer with a JH custom who needs a refit! (touch wood)

May 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #574 of 3,787
BoogieWoogie,

I would DEFINITELY call them and tell them to shorten the canals a few millimeters. It won't affect the sound as they are all tuned separately to the length of the tubes (Per Jerry Harvey) My left ear hurt for two days as well after the impression. Then when I got the cans they were too deep and it was painful and couldn't listen for more than 20-30 minutes. Jerry told me they shaved off 2 millimeters and he said I had an unnatural bend in my canal that would definitely affect the sound. Once shortened I am in aural ecstasy now. My left ear is now 100 percent and the right is 95 percent. I would like to get the right a bit larger but I don't think it is worth it for me to send back as I would be afraid of it being too big on return.

Cooperpwc Thanks!

May 4, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #576 of 3,787
I posted a few pages back that it's now 3-4 weeks from when they receive your impressions.

As for the quality control question, I understand that JHA is working from unique ear impressions. But that doesn't seem to have been the issue with some of the JH16s that have come back--it wasn't fit adjustments that needed to be made, it seemed like a total overhaul of the internal design. I just hope this was an isolated mistake, because like cooper said, some people who have never had customs before might not even notice these flaws and won't know what the 16s are supposed to sound like.

May 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #577 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourneychamp23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what has everyone's wait time typically been to receive the jh-16s?

Can't say as I pre-ordered but the JH Crew was/is in Cali for an event and thus might be slowing production down some.

May 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #578 of 3,787
dj nellie

Who needed a total overhaul of the internal design?

I can assure you that JHA would NEVER redesign the internals. My 16 Pros' sounded like CRAP when I got them and it was all due to fit. Jerry personally analyzed them and explained exactly what the issue was.

This person who had the bad sound/fit in the UK was not even using a custom IEM but rather a universal sleeve on a custom IEM. Not saying that it might not have sounded bad but no way would JHA redesign anything because of that. Even when I sent mine to Jerry he tested them and said the sound was perfectly tuned even though they sounded bad to me.

May 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #579 of 3,787
Ok, maybe tompoll should clarify his post but here's the relevant portion:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something clearly went wrong with the initial manufacture of my 16s. Before, the tips (internal ends) were open. I could see three tubes coming out from the drivers, but the tubes were of varying length, and the internal cavity of the earphone was open and exposed.
Now that I have them back, the ends are completely sealed off except for small holes for the three tubes (the triple bore). JH Audio clearly cut off the last 1/2 inch or so of the tips and redid them, as I can see seams where the cuts were made. Mind you, the seams are very well done and undetectable to the touch.

It seems like the tubes that go toward the bores were initially open (at the bore end or at the internal end?) and of varying lengths, with the "internal cavity" exposed. After the adjustment, they came back with the "ends" completely sealed--I think he means on the bore side, although this doesn't make much sense since the tubes lead to bores which are open.

Maybe this was just a tip adjustment and maybe I'm over-analyzing, but I read his post to say that there were issues beyond the length of the tip, namely that the tubes leading to the bores were not of uniform length, and that the internal cavity was exposed.

May 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #580 of 3,787
OK Thanks, I would like to hear more because I want to speak with Jerry on this and ask what happened as I would like to know first hand as well.

As for the shortening of the tips, most people who send them in for fit issues will usually get back shorter canals/bores assuming that is the area of discomfort.

I'll wait for tompoll. Thanks dj

May 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #581 of 3,787
3-4wks ... their facebook page quotes ~5 day turnaround. i _know_ thats not true. although i didnt know that the lab was short due to an event in cali, prolonging the wait, super blown. still cant wait to get them, i pray that i dont need to send them back in for a refit.

May 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #582 of 3,787
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify FRgus, i am the guy from the UK! lol
and like Tompolll has described the demo 16's i listened to was just three naked tubes in an open bore that you could touch and if you wanted to, there was no shell rounded off at the end of the bore at all.

Yet the other demos where a hard shell at end of bore with just port holes like i think Tompoll received back when they fixed the sound for him.

If i remember rightly those tubes i saw in the 16's where of slightly different lengths also, f that means anything on demo pairs i don't know, with this been my first custom experience also.

All i know is been my first time listening to those demo's last Frday was that even the base model JH5 immediately sounded better than my old SE530's or IE8's and i was just wowed with each JH model after the other as i worked my way up the ladder and was amazed at what extra detail, clarity and sound stage came when i got the 13pros and all i know is the even more anticipated 16pro demo's i had been waiting to hear after only a couple of minutes did not sound anything remotely like the JH13's i had been wowed by.

If anything the JH11pro demos sounded better to me than the 16's demos which to me meant there must be something not quite right with that 16 demo pair i had.

I must admit i embarrassingly thought it was me going mad initially until i explained it to my UK dealer the sound symptoms i was experiencing and they concurred and had the same experience and two of them are experienced pro sound engineers, hence they have now sent them back to JHA for inspection.

I like to be a realist here and even though when we all contemplate spending 1K on something so specialized as customs we want the best service to go with the product at this price and to be treated like kings with update emails every day so we know they are paying the up most attention in grinding and polishing our customs to perfection and for them to be right first time, but the way i see it at the moment is a successfull small run family business company with a sound Guru/ God that is at the forefront of this sector with what he/they(jha team) does and can only imagine the business sales are growing all the time and taking some business away form it's competition out there with the new addition of another model in the 16's which has propelled them to a rush of orders that would test the resolve of any small busy production team and maybe as in life with humans in the equation even gifted skilled one's, stuff happens, we just need to be realist and deal with it and should take it into the equation/bigger picture.

The bigger picture for me is i will eventually have a pair of amazing customs at the pinnacle of ear hi-fi speaker sound that will last me many years to come.
bigsmile_face.gif

I am just happy in the sense i do not think i heard the "real" 16's and it can be fixed and still await an experience of how a 16 should sound that might make me prefer them to the 13's possibly when they come back to the UK for another listen.

I will try to be patient even though the delay i will not deny is just plain bloody teasing in the extreme! lol..... but i have waited four months for this dream, so guess another couple of weeks will not hurt! will it?

Can't wait
tongue_smile.gif

May 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #583 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify FRgus, i am the guy from the UK! lol and like Tompolll has described the demo 16's i listened to was just three naked tubes in an open bore that you could touch and if you wanted to, there was no shell rounded off at the end of the bore at all.

Yet the other demos where a hard shell at end of bore with just port holes like i think Tompoll received back when they fixed the sound for him.

Can you clarify what you mean by "naked tubes" that you could touch? I thought the tubes lead into the bores, and they're covered by the tip shell.

May 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #584 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you clarify what you mean by "naked tubes" that you could touch? I thought the tubes lead into the bores, and they're covered by the tip shell.

There was no tip shell, just three plastic tubes in an open cavity of the main canal shell by themselves sitting inside next to each other.

Sorry if not described it any better with the terminology!, just made me wonder if it should of had the end covered by hard plastic shell or "covered by the tip shell" as you put it?

I noticed that the other JH demo's did have a hard shell finish at the ends and was not an open cavity as the 16's where.

I just have to wait for JHA to assess it when they receive the 16 demo's soon to see why it was not on song, for all i know that might not be the reason as to why it is off key.

May 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #585 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was no tip shell, just three plastic tubes in an open cavity of the main canal shell by themselves sitting inside next to each other.

Sorry if not described it any better with the terminology!, just made me wonder if it should of had the end covered by hard plastic shell or "covered by the tip shell" as you put it?

I noticed that the other JH demo's did have a hard shell finish at the ends and was not an open cavity as the 16's where.

I just have to wait for JHA to assess it when they receive the 16 demo's soon to see why it was not on song, for all i know that might not be the reason as to why it is off key.

Yeah, from my experience with customs, that does not sound right at all. To me, the entire custom should closed EXCEPT for the small bore-holes that go to the drivers. If there was an open end with bore-tubes instead of closed with bore-holes I can imagine that would affect the sound greatly.

Now, I just have to wait an estimated 4 weeks to get mine and see them for myself.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back