JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #2,416 of 3,122

No hidden agenda. She owns the W30's and Linum Music cables and has threatened with physical harm if I take them from her so I'm not going to mess with that.

...That said she supports my hobbies to some extend and I support hers. Just because I don't appreciate other hobbies and interests doesn't mean I should look down on it.

It's easy to point the finger at another hobby someone has and say, that's weird, you're weird for liking it and you should be made fun of... Na, I try my best to at least consider how it could be of interest even if it doesn't peak mine. 

HOLY COW.  Why go to a marriage therapist when you can read @Jazic's post above which is, IMHO, pretty spot on in how to have a good relationship with just about anyone:  respect, support, and perspective.

@Jazic, your post made me smile. and I'm not even a therapist...
:)

CJ

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,417 of 3,122
Hey guys. I recently came back from a trip to e-headphones in Toyko and had the opportunity to try out the entire siren series universal fits. In theory isnt the angie supposed to be the lesser form of the layla? 

In that respect, when i demoed both earphones..... the angie seemed to sound way better to me when compared to the layla (did a 1hr listen test with both)...they didnt sound similar at all.

Any thoughts on this?

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,420 of 3,122
  Hey guys. I recently came back from a trip to e-headphones in Toyko and had the opportunity to try out the entire siren series universal fits. In theory isnt the angie supposed to be the lesser form of the layla? 

In that respect, when i demoed both earphones..... the angie seemed to sound way better to me when compared to the layla (did a 1hr listen test with both)...they didnt sound similar at all.

Any thoughts on this?

what positions were the cable-pots set to on each...?

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,421 of 3,122

Any thoughts on this?

I had both for some time (version 1) and ended up selling the Layla. I found them to be too thick sounding. That said I've never heard layers and texture of music like that before on the Layla.

Ended up keeping the Angies and actually just ordered some customs. They are the best all round iem I've heard.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,422 of 3,122
I had both for some time (version 1) and ended up selling the Layla. I found them to be too thick sounding. That said I've never heard layers and texture of music like that before on the Layla.

Ended up keeping the Angies and actually just ordered some customs. They are the best all round iem I've heard.

Agreed on the best all around

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,423 of 3,122
  Agreed on the best all around

I don't want to get off topic here but I think I should mention that the Earsonics S-EM9's are pretty darn good and comparable in sound sig to the Angie's but with deeper bass and more sparkling highs. 

Like I say I ordered some custom Angie's and dont' have any regrets but if these EM9's came in customs... I'd have to reconsider. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,424 of 3,122
Follow your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

thats what i thought too! Between angies and the noble k10s at this point for me
  Different sound sigs.  So, as above.....

thanks for the input

that might actually be the issue, i was unfamiliar with the adjustments so i asked them to be adjusted the same ... maybe there was an issue with it

thanks for your input!

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,425 of 3,122
thats what i thought too! Between angies and the noble k10s at this point for me

that might actually be the issue, i was unfamiliar with the adjustments so i asked them to be adjusted the same ... maybe there was an issue with it

I ended up with both Angie and K10, you can't fight it! :D

With the bass attenuators set the same the Layla will definitely have more bass. This, combined with slightly recessed mids has me not liking the Layla. I found it be dry sounding. The Angie has enough bass impact as well as slightly elevated mids which seriously clicked with my sonic preferences.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,426 of 3,122
I ended up with both Angie and K10, you can't fight it!
biggrin.gif

With the bass attenuators set the same the Layla will definitely have more bass. This, combined with slightly recessed mids has me not liking the Layla. I found it be dry sounding. The Angie has enough bass impact as well as slightly elevated mids which seriously clicked with my sonic preferences.

Oh nice! Do you mind writing a bit about how you feel about one when compared to the other from a purely comparative standpoint (not favoring a bass heavy enthusiast or anything of that kind)? I know that opinions are purely subjective but its always nice to hear other peoples opinions. I do plan on getting both sooner or later but will probably be quite a while between purchases .....

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,427 of 3,122
Oh nice! Do you mind writing a bit about how you feel about one when compared to the other from a purely comparative standpoint (not favoring a bass heavy enthusiast or anything of that kind)? I know that opinions are purely subjective but its always nice to hear other peoples opinions. I do plan on getting both sooner or later but will probably be quite a while between purchases .....

I already did..... :wink_face:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1590#post_12321440

:beerchug:

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #2,429 of 3,122
Quote:

Quote:

As Relic noted, the Layla has a "LF-attenuation" factor of 13dB vs. Angie's 10dB. I would imagine a trained advisor would have set them both around 12 o'clock to give the user an "average" amount of LF attenuation. Said advisor also could have set the Angies to 1o'clock (for example) to compensate for Layla's greater attenuation-range... who knows?

My Angies (pictured here at 2 o'clock) are currently set to 1 o'clock.
9 graduations for 10 dB (0 to 10) and assuming 1.25dB per graduation confirms 12o'clock = 5dB attenuation...
27192630692_2c7e6deea9_c.jpg

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,430 of 3,122
  Quote:

As Relic noted, the Layla has a "LF-attenuation" factor of 13dB vs. Angie's 10dB. I would imagine a trained advisor would have set them both around 12 o'clock to give the user an "average" amount of LF attenuation. Said advisor also could have set the Angies to 1o'clock (for example) to compensate for Layla's greater attenuation-range... who knows?

My Angies (pictured here at 2 o'clock) are currently set to 1 o'clock.
9 graduations for 10 dB (0 to 10) and assuming 1.25dB per graduation confirms 12o'clock = 5dB attenuation...

Thanks for the informative post Traveller! How do you personally decide where to leave the settings on your earphones and how often do you change it? I would assume you just play it by ear (literally heh) but maybe there is a more procedural method. I have never had earphones that you could adjust before so this is new to me. Thanks again for your responses. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back