JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,446 of 3,122
The pins were absolutely atrocious. I had multiple headphone wires DOA due to the pins snapping. Not to mention they might snap in the IEM meaning I had to dig them out. The new connectors are leaps and bounds better.

Just an update; issued the RMA not entirely sure if my iem's are defective but here's a pic.

znGaJSW.jpg

My 1 year warranty is almost over and i think everything about the angies are great besides the cable, hopefully the replacement cable lasts.

How do i determine an defective iem besides audio cutting out and how long can the angies last if I continue to give them proper care?

Just wondering since I don't know what i'll do when my warranty is up ( seems real short imo).

Thanks.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,448 of 3,122
I need to send mine in for repair....one of the mid drivers is out in the left ear

One user though the same until he cleaned out the wax from the bores. Have you cleaned them to be sure?

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,449 of 3,122
Here is a shameless plug for the Moon Audio Black Dragon IEM cable for the Angies (Siren series).  I was experiencing interim drop-offs with my original (non-metal) Angies.  I bit the bullet and bought the Black Dragons.  The cord is infinity more flexible and less tangle-free.  Also, the connection to the Angies is much more secure than the original cables.  The bass pots are also more easy to adjust.  The resulting sound is clearer and more engaging than the originals.  While it was $200 that I did not wish to spend, the resulting sound and useability improvements were more than worth the investment to me.  Cheers.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #2,450 of 3,122
As promised, I finally posted my long-awaited review of the Rhapsodio Solar, in which I make an extensive comparison with Angie.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rhapsodio-solar/reviews/16581

Pertinent exert, comparing Solar with Angie:

Jerry Harvey’s Angie has been my closest companion for so long now. She sings with a voice I fell in love with upon first hearing it. Even after weeks and weeks with nothing but Solar in my ears, when I come back to Angie, I don’t know which I like more. Each does a couple of things better than the other.

My preference is to keep Angie’s bass attenuators at 2:30, giving her a warm, bassy profile, without losing detail or air.

Although Solar has two drivers more than Angie, note thickness and weight are about the same, both much fuller than the IM03. Angie is capable of nearly the same volume of bass, but Solar reaches deeper into the sub bass and the lows come off fuller and richer because of it. Amazingly, Solar also possesses FAR greater air in the presentation. Even when I turned Angie’s pots all the way down, Solar sounded brighter, with a better sense of space and atmosphere. This is likely due to Solar’s outstanding treble. I’ve always praised Angie for having clean, well-extended highs, but Solar adds some real sparkle to its top frequencies, and that makes a world of difference here. It brightens the stage up, revealing details Angie might miss.

So you may think by the above paragraph that I clearly favor Solar, but as I’ve said, it’s not quite so easy for me. Angie is smoother and lusher. Probably owing to its lack of sparkle. Every detail is not highlighted, rendering a more forgiving melody. Angie is not dull or muddy. FAR FROM IT. Though compared to Solar, she’s certainly the easier, more euphoric monitor. She pours honey in my ears and I love her for it.

I planned to sell off Angie when the Rhapsodio Custom came in, but I’m not sure I can do that. Her size really is a detriment, but if I don’t have to use her as my every day carry, maybe I can keep her around for the occasional sexy fun time when I lust for that old honey again.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,452 of 3,122
  Thinking about getting Spiral Dots. Which size would suit stock silicon largest tips?

Hi,

Spiral Dots ML size, 13mm, nearly the same as stock largest.

Regards

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #2,453 of 3,122
Hi,

Anyone knows who else makes cables for Angies, other than originals and Moon Audio?

Thanks

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #2,455 of 3,122
Aug 26, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #2,458 of 3,122
Well, I've joined the club and ordered a pair of Angies to go with my AK320 and Mojo. I've kept upgrading, but now I'm definitely going to stop for a while!

Should get them Sunday, just in time to ebay AK100, ie800s, T5Ps, and a couple of laptops so that I can afford to eat as well as listen to music.

Now I just have to work out how to tell my wife about my latest investment!

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,459 of 3,122
Well, I've joined the club and ordered a pair of Angies to go with my AK320 and Mojo...

Congrats! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Angie I or II? I have the IIs and use them with a Mojo - very nice pairing!

I'm also in the need of a DAP - it will mostly reside in my car but I will occasionally use it elsewhere instead of and/or with my Mojo. The A&Ks are on my short list, but I haven't decided if I should go with the 70 (CS4398) or 300 (AK4490).

How would you compare your 320's dual 4490s vs. the Mojo, signature-wise?

I assume you are using an optical connection between the 320 & Mojo. One thing I like about the AK70 is that it has USB-out (Mojo, Dragonfly etc.)  and USB-in (DAC for PC / Notebook). A&K stated they would update their 300 and 200 lines with this option; have you had a chance to test this?
Thanks for the feedback and congrats once again on your incoming Angies
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #2,460 of 3,122

Congrats! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Angie I or II? I have the IIs and use them with a Mojo - very nice pairing!

I'm also in the need of a DAP - it will mostly reside in my car but I will occasionally use it elsewhere instead of and/or with my Mojo. The A&Ks are on my short list, but I haven't decided if I should go with the 70 (CS4398) or 300 (AK4490).

How would you compare your 320's dual 4490s vs. the Mojo, signature-wise?

I assume you are using an optical connection between the 320 & Mojo. One thing I like about the AK70 is that it has USB-out (Mojo, Dragonfly etc.)  and USB-in (DAC for PC / Notebook). A&K stated they would update their 300 and 200 lines with this option; have you had a chance to test this?
Thanks for the feedback and congrats once again on your incoming Angies
beerchug.gif

Hi,

I've opted for the Angie IIs. 

I find it difficult to describe the sound unfortunately, but I would say that the Mojo sounds more "rounded" and full to my ears. The difference isn't huge though and the AK320 sounds excellent on its own. I haven't heard the AK70 or AK300 so I can't comment.

I'm using a custom Moon Audio Silver Dragon toslink optical cable to connect the AK and Mojo, although the AK 3xx do now support USB out with the latest FW release. The optical cable is compact and allows me to charge the AK at the same as playing it if necessary. I'm afraid that I haven't even tried the USB connection

As an aside, I join the AK and Mojo cases ( I bought the new Mojo leather case) with 3M Low Profile Dual Lock tape. It is pretty thin and can be removed if necessary without damaging the cases. The tape has the advantage that I can split the stack easily if I just want to us the AK320 on its own

Sorry to others if this is a bit off topic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back