JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,471 of 3,122
I would like to state that I am not someone you thinks of himself as a treble-head. Treble can be fatiguing to me if it's anything but clean and pure. I also need a good bit of warmth to my audio. If it's dry and bright sounding, I want none of it.

Angie meets those needs perfectly. Great bass, though not over-powering. She's not treble-centric. She simply has great extension in the highs. Detailed and life-like Mids.

If you want bright, Angie's not for you. Nor if you want bass-heavy. She's a brilliant all-around IEM. Very balanced.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,472 of 3,122
I've gotten some suggestions from other forum members:
1. Mojo: seems like this amp has a lot going for it. My only concern is how portable it really is since I would have to use the camera connection? Please correct me if I'm wrong but, It just seemed like cables would stick out I kind of awkwardly.

Not quite true.  There are at least two options that have been confirmed to work directly between the iPhone and Mojo without the camera kit -- one is by lavricables (you can find him here and on Ebay), and the other is available through Taobao (sp?).  I got the Taobao option because it cost a little less than the lavricables option, and it works perfectly.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,475 of 3,122
Do the Angie's need to be paired with an amp or dap with an output impedance of less than 1.0 ohms to get the most out of them?

Optimally, yes. Well, 2 Ohms or less to be more specific. When the output impedance is too high it will shape the frequency of the an IEM away from the intended signature. The general rule is the output impedance should be 1/8 of the IEM impedance.

Given that the iPhone 6 has an output impedance of 3.18 to 5 Ohm (difficult to find concrete info) I wouldn't use it with anything that has an impedance less than 24 - 40 Ohms, and especially not with the Angie (17 Ohm - 117 dB efficiency). The first thing to get messed up is the treble region when there is an impedance mismatch. There is plenty of information about this around the web to look up.

The Mojo with the Angie is the best sound I've heard across devices (full sized or portable) and really gels with my preferences (you can check my profile for my current gear). I've heard good things about the HA-2 and it's Apple MFI certified so there's no need to use the Apple CCK with it. Many that have heard both prefer the Mojo, and on a technical level the Mojo is MUCH better. Also, the ALO Rx (IEM version) is a dream portable amp with the Angie. It has beautiful musicality that is very hard to beat when using a source that's clean and clear.

The Angie is very resolving to the source and, in my opinion, should be matched with gear that will show its capabilities. I feel bad that NaiveSound didn't like the Angie with the Mojo (as I recommended this combo to him) but that also goes to show that not everyone has the same tastes. In my mind though I just don't see how one could do much better for the price (fit, seal, and size aside).

On a technical level the Angie is a very resolving and clean IEM, with slightly elevated mids from neutral. Compared to the Layla I preferred the Angie in this regard. Compared to the SE846 I found that the latter felt loose and not resolving enough for my tastes. I have a pair of Noble K10 customs coming in (great Black Friday sale) and I hope they are a good compliment to my Angie, but if I don't like them I can't exactly send them back. We all take risks in this hobby, and musical preference is very personal. On a technical level the Angies are fantastic.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,476 of 3,122
Optimally, yes. Well, 2 Ohms or less to be more specific. When the output impedance is too high it will shape the frequency of the an IEM away from the intended signature. The general rule is the output impedance should be 1/8 of the IEM impedance.

Given that the iPhone 6 has an output impedance of 5 Ohm I wouldn't use it with anything that has an impedance less than 40 Ohms, and especially not with the Angie (17 Ohm - 117 dB efficiency). The first thing to get messed up is the treble region when there is an impedance mismatch. There is plenty of information about this around the web to look up.

The Mojo with the Angie is the best sound I've heard across devices (full sized or portable) and really gels with my preferences (you can check my profile for my current gear). I've heard good things about the HA-2 and it's Apple MFI certified so there's no need to use the Apple CCK with it. Many that have heard both prefer the Mojo, and on a technical level the Mojo is MUCH better. Also, the ALO Rx (IEM version) is a dream portable amp with the Angie. It has beautiful musicality that is very hard to beat when using a source that's clean and clear.

The Angie is very resolving to the source and, in my opinion, should be matched with gear that will show its capabilities. I feel bad that NaiveSound didn't like the Angie with the Mojo (as I recommended this combo to him) but that also goes to show that not everyone has the same tastes. In my mind though I just don't see how one could do much better for the price (fit, seal, and size aside).

On a technical level the Angie is a very resolving and clean IEM, with slightly elevated mids from neutral. Compared to the Layla I preferred the Angie in this regard. Compared to the SE846 I found that the latter felt loose and not resolving enough for my tastes. I have a pair of Noble K10 customs coming in (great Black Friday sale) and I hope they are a good compliment to my Angie, but if I don't like them I can't exactly send them back. We all take risks in this hobby, and musical preference is very personal. On a technical level the Angies are fantastic.

I appreciate you giving me guidance, they aren't bad by any means, I guess I'm just picky and looking for more musical (makes you dance) phones

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,477 of 3,122
I ended up ordering an AK Junior to pair with my Angie's. I just can't bare to listen to them on my iPhone any longer. Here's hoping they bring out the girls full potential!

Any others care to chime in on my choice of dap? I travel extensively and was looking for sleek and portable and didn't want to tie up my phone to an amp. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the siren series were tuned using AK (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,478 of 3,122
I ended up ordering an AK Junior to pair with my Angie's. I just can't bare to listen to them on my iPhone any longer. Here's hoping they bring out the girls full potential!

Any others care to chime in on my choice of dap? I travel extensively and was looking for sleek and portable and didn't want to tie up my phone to an amp. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the siren series were tuned using AK (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

Yes, the the Siren Series IEMs are a collaboration between JH Audio and Astell&Kern, and they were absolutely tuned for AK devices.

The Jr. is a fine choice indeed. Thin and small, with touch-screen, and good amping. Angie will love it.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #1,479 of 3,122
And way better than an iPhone.  There, I said it again.
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,481 of 3,122
Pick a good source for the Angie and she will sing. That is a guarantee. :)

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,482 of 3,122
It will be a very noticeable upgrade from your Phone.  I did the same as you, started getting better iems and eventually needed to move on from my iPhone to a DAP.  I worked my way up to an AK over a few years and a number of DAPs.  You are doing it in one big old jump.  

When you get it, you will need to transfer your music over.  While I believe iTunes will work, you may want to consider loading your music in folders into the AKJr.  You also might want to consider, if you are using MP3s, moving to at the least 16/44 album rips.  Better quality is better quality (without everyone going into a whole long back and forth here about how one is as good as the other)- just a suggestion you can consider.  

Enjoy the new toy.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,483 of 3,122
Even your MP3s will sound a lot better on the AKJr. But as olddude says, better files are indeed better. Not necessary to enjoy what you have, but, well, there's a reason I'm at 99.5% FLAC currently. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back