JH-5 vs 1964 D vs Monster Miles Davis
Mar 8, 2011 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

408mike

100+ Head-Fier
Sup guys, I am narrowing my search. 

I was hoping someone (anyone) might shed some light on what the differences might be sonicaly between these three cans? I listen to a lot of electronic, trance techno that sort of thing. Does that help at all? 

Also does anyone have experience getting custom sleeves made for universals? I might have the Miles sent someplace to get a sleeve done, but I am concerned they might not know the proper depth and what have you. For example, my Turbines sound GREAT at EXACTLY  a certain depth. I am concerned whoever makes the sleeve might make it correctly based on the impression, but not with regard to the IEM and it's preferences do you get me? I Hope that makes sense. 

Leaning heavily toward any one of the three, would love to get some input here. This is a big investment!

Also I would strongly consider the ATH M50, I am starting to wonder if I am expecting too much from IEM's and maybe going full size would quench my thirst. Not sure, please advise. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Electronic, Trance and Techno is about speed.  The MDs weakness is speed.  JH5 or 1964 would be better bets.  DBA-02 would handle easily that assuming you got a fit that produced bass response.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I can't really speak for myself, but I have heard very good things about the 1964-D and T if money isn't that big an issue. As for universals, I agree with Anaxilus that the DBA-02 should give you what you want SQ wise at a very affordable price.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 6
So it's really coming down to either the 1964 OR the JH-5. Cost difference is negligible. So can anyone help me pick between the two? One has a better rep, one is cheaper. With regard to my musical taste and high expectation, which should I go with?

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
So it's really coming down to either the 1964 OR the JH-5. Cost difference is negligible. So can anyone help me pick between the two? One has a better rep, one is cheaper. With regard to my musical taste and high expectation, which should I go with?

I would read over the 1964 thread if you haven't.  One common term I keep hearing describing 1964s house sound is 'laid back'.  If you want a more relaxing sound then 1964.  If you want more energy and excitement perhaps the JH5.  I have personally heard neither so I'm just relaying what I've read.  I don't know anyone who has both.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 6
The JH5 is more of a known entity. I'd probably look at the Jh5 appreciation thread and read up some impressions on them since there is a good amount of info on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back