JH-16 or JH-13 for hip hop/r&b?
May 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 29

^^i wasnt commenting on your post,i was commenting on this one.
Quote:
Daniel is right, with your sources, there really won't be any difference between the 13's and the 16's. An iPod touch for example doesn't have the power in the bottom end to utilize the extra headroom available in the 16's.

another thing,why does everyone recommend the jh16 if you are bass head?what if someone listens to music at very very low volumes(like me),wont the jh16 be better in that case?
i asked Brittany about this and she told me jh16 would be the better choice at low volumes.

May 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 29

Quote:
^^i wasnt commenting on your post,i was commenting on this one.
another thing,why does everyone recommend the jh16 if you are bass head?what if someone listens to music at very very low volumes(like me),wont the jh16 be better in that case?
i asked Brittany about this and she told me jh16 would be the better choice at low volumes.

Well, personally I used the term bass head to suggest that someone who may want to hear lots of bass no matter what genre they're listening to would prefer the JH16 because the JH13 does not provide coloration where there is none. 

May 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #18 of 29
so would it be better to stay w/ the 13's and get an amp from the money i saved since it will affect all of the sound versus upgrading to the 16s and only having improved bass?

May 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 29
If people would only stop recommending or not recommending equipment they haven't personally audited and/or own(ed), the forum would be all better for it.  

The issue isn't the current equipment.  What if the OP decides to upgrade to a HifiMan or iMod as a source?  Sources are easier to replace/upgrade than custom IEMs.

Dance and rap music with lots of dynamics do benefit from the improvements in the JH16Pros architecture and headroom, assuming quality recordings/masters.  While the JH13Pros can hold their own, my preference would be the JH16Pros, if I could only pick one.

May 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
so would it be better to stay w/ the 13's and get an amp from the money i saved since it will affect all of the sound versus upgrading to the 16s and only having improved bass?

The 16's isn't an upgrade, more of a side grade. Yes, stay with the 13's and get a HiFiMAN HM-801 and you'll be happy with the sound you'll be getting for the rest of your life. But, if you have a money tree in your backyard than I'd spend the $1,150 for the extra bass and 4 more drivers.
smile.gif

May 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
The 16's isn't an upgrade, more of a side grade. Yes, stay with the 13's and get a HiFiMAN HM-801 and you'll be happy with the sound you'll be getting for the rest of your life. But, if you have a money tree in your backyard than I'd spend the $1,150 for the extra bass and 4 more drivers.
smile.gif

Why do you recommend the Hifiman in every post even though you know that the OP is not likely to get it? He asked if getting an amp + the JH13 would be better than just getting the JH16. To the OP the answer is yes.

May 17, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
Why do you recommend the Hifiman in every post even though you know that the OP is not likely to get it? He asked if getting an amp + the JH13 would be better than just getting the JH16. To the OP the answer is yes.

Oops, I misread the post, I thought he had the JH13's already and was curious about the JH16's and he was asking if just getting an amp would be better and save money. That's why I recommended the HiFiMAN. I thought he was willing to spend $1,000+ for just added bass emphasis.

May 17, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
Oops, I misread the post, I thought he had the JH13's already and was curious about the JH16's and he was asking if just getting an amp would be better and save money. That's why I recommended the HiFiMAN. I thought he was willing to spend $1,000+ for just added bass emphasis.

Actually you're right he did ask if he should upgrade and get the JH16s.

Well if you already have the JH13s then it's not worth paying 1150.00 for the JH16 just for the additional bump in bass. You're better off getting an amp or like Sonic said, if you're willing to spend that kind of money, the Hifiman.

May 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #26 of 29
I received my JH16 yesterday.  Never heard the JH13, but.... dayyyyyum, these things are bassy.  Too bassy for my tastes! and I wish I had gone with the JH13 because I can tell the overall tone is amongst the best I've heard, but the over emphasized bass prevents me from recommending it.  I actually prefer the Westone 4 for being less bassy even though the JH16 has a better presentation in the mids and treble. 

Not sure what to do.....hmm

May 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 29
Okay, here is one of the posts I recall seeing: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479434/jh-audio-jh16-pro-first-impressions/2295#post_7435253

I would try shooting them an email to inquire having them remade into JH13. I would also be interested in knowing what they say.

A pair JH Audio IEMs is the next audio purchase I'm going to pursue. I just can't decide between the JH13 and JH16 at this point.

May 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #29 of 29
JH13's would be terrible for Hip Hop.  There is an artificial very low bass boost added in but without the fullness of sound it just sounds off.  The JH16 provides the fullness of sound and better overall bass making it a better option for that type of music.  Plus its more efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back