JH-16 or JH-13 for hip hop/r&b?
May 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

aye5882

100+ Head-Fier
I tried searching for JH 13/16 users that listen to my type of music but I couldn't find any posts so I decided to start a new thread. 

Anyway, I was deciding between the 16's and the 13s but jumped on the jh13 deal last thursday.  i listen to mainstream music, usually hip hop, r/b, and occasionally soundtracks from movies like braveheart, gladiator, etc.  because of the emphasis on the bass of mainstream music, would it be better to get the 16's or would that be overkill? 

my source will just be my macbook pro, sansa clip, and ipod touch.  no amps whatsoever.  but the music will be at least 320kbps and I am currently using the UE5c and the Shure SRH840s

thanks for any input

May 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 29

Quote:
I tried searching for JH 13/16 users that listen to my type of music but I couldn't find any posts so I decided to start a new thread. 

Anyway, I was deciding between the 16's and the 13s but jumped on the jh13 deal last thursday.  i listen to mainstream music, usually hip hop, r/b, and occasionally soundtracks from movies like braveheart, gladiator, etc.  because of the emphasis on the bass of mainstream music, would it be better to get the 16's or would that be overkill? 

my source will just be my macbook pro, sansa clip, and ipod touch.  no amps whatsoever.  but the music will be at least 320kbps and I am currently using the UE5c and the Shure SRH840s

thanks for any input

13's are fine because they're neutral and the music you listen to is bass heavy so bass will be present but 16's would have been better if you like a lot of bass. The 13's don't lack bass, they just play whatever is in the recording so if you listen to hip hop you will have a lot of bass.

May 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 29

Quote:
aye5882 said:

thanks for any input

The 13's are neutral in the sense that what ever you put in is what you'll get out. It won't "add" anything to the music. The 16's have a bit more bass emphasis which doesn't harm the other frequencies in any way. I find the 13's to have the perfect amount of bass for every genre I throw at it. Trance, Hip Hop, Techno and Drum N' Bass. It's powerful and present when the song calls for bass and polite and tamed when the song doesn't call for bass.

May 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 29

Quote:

The 13's are neutral in the sense that what ever you put in is what you'll get out. It won't "add" anything to the music. The 16's have a bit more bass emphasis which doesn't harm the other frequencies in any way. I find the 13's to have the perfect amount of bass for every genre I throw at it. Trance, Hip Hop, Techno and Drum N' Bass. It's powerful and present when the song calls for bass and polite and tamed when the song doesn't call for bass.

are you saying this based on your equipment?  keep in mind that my sources are very basic. 

thanks!

May 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
are you saying this based on your equipment?  keep in mind that my sources are very basic. 

thanks!

The better the source the better the 13's will sound ofcourse. Out of a lesser source like my iPod Touch there is tad less bass emphasis and huge loss of naturalness and detail.

May 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
The better the source the better the 13's will sound ofcourse. Out of a lesser source like my iPod Touch there is tad less bass emphasis and huge loss of naturalness and detail.

To the OP, the above is coming from someone who uses a Hifiman so you won't really notice anything he's talking about since you're used to basic sources. I use an Ipod classic, so yes my source is of the same quality as yours only difference is that I use lossless. I'm getting an amp next week but as of this moment I don't use one.

May 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 29
Plugging the JH13's or any of these high end customs into an iPod, Zune, iPhone, Blackberry, etc...would get you great sound. Keep in mind though, you are getting no where near the full potential of these JH13's.

May 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 29
the 13's have plenty of bass, i listen to some mainstream music as well, though mostly lady gaga, but alot of her songs have pretty pounding bass, and i certainly get the full effect out of my jh-13s. I swear when i listen to Starstruck by her, that i can feel the bass in my whole body

May 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 29

Plugging the JH13's or any of these high end customs into an iPod, Zune, iPhone, Blackberry, etc...would get you great sound. Keep in mind though, you are getting no where near the full potential of these JH13's.

Daniel is right, with your sources, there really won't be any difference between the 13's and the 16's. An iPod touch for example doesn't have the power in the bottom end to utilize the extra headroom available in the 16's. My cowon D2 has a gorgeous equalizer and a good amount of power behind it that takes full advantage of that headroom and let me tell you, as a 'basshead' of sorts, the sheer quantity, stregnth and quality of the bass they are capable of produce while listening to hip hop and techno both scares and astounds me and this is unamped. I can't wait to get an amp behind these. I have no doubt the 13's will give you what you need and that sale was a great choice but please get yourself a nice dac/amp combo with all that money you saved. Perhaps a pico?

May 16, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Daniel is right, with your sources, there really won't be any difference between the 13's and the 16's. An iPod touch for example doesn't have the power in the bottom end to utilize the extra headroom available in the 16's. My cowon D2 has a gorgeous equalizer and a good amount of power behind it that takes full advantage ofthat headroom and let me tell you, as a 'basshead' of sorts, the sheer quantity, stregnth and quality of the bass they are capable of produce while listening to hip hop and techno both scares and astounds me and this is unamped. I can't wait to get an amp behind these. I have no doubt the 13's will give you what you need and that sale was a great choice but please get yourself a nice dac/amp combo with all that money you saved. Perhaps a pico?

It actually is being amplified by the internal amplifier inside the D2...
tongue_smile.gif

May 16, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
Daniel is right, with your sources, there really won't be any difference between the 13's and the 16's. An iPod touch for example doesn't have the power in the bottom end to utilize the extra headroom available in the 16's. My cowon D2 has a gorgeous equalizer and a good amount of power behind it that takes full advantage ofthat headroom and let me tell you, as a 'basshead' of sorts, the sheer quantity, stregnth and quality of the bass they are capable of produce while listening to hip hop and techno both scares and astounds me and this is unamped. I can't wait to get an amp behind these. I have no doubt the 13's will give you what you need and that sale was a great choice but please get yourself a nice dac/amp combo with all that money you saved. Perhaps a pico?

and you are saying this based on your great experiance with jh13 and jh16?i dont see except jh16 on your sig.
if i plug my hd650 to my ipod and k701 in my ipod touch,i will hear the difference between the two from bottom to top.and to say that ipod touch doesnt have the power to get the bottom end of an iem is stupid.i can get bass rattling my head when i plug my hd650 directly to the touch....and it is 300 ohms.
i cant deny that an amp makes a nice difference for any headphone or iem but your comment is misleading.

May 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
.and to say that ipod touch doesnt have the power to get the bottom end of an iem is stupid.i can get bass rattling my head when i plug my hd650 directly to the touch....and it is 300 ohms.
i cant deny that an amp makes a nice difference for any headphone or iem but your comment is misleading.

It does, just not all of it ... that was the point.

May 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 29
yes,i agree but to say that the OP wont tell the difference between jh13 and 16 using ipod touch is misleading.

May 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #14 of 29
Just get the 16s. The Touch doesn't have a great equalizer, so if you find yourself wanting more bass, you'll have to upgrade your player too. If you get the 16s and want less bass, the bass reducer preset on the touch is actually decent, so no worries.

May 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:
yes,i agree but to say that the OP wont tell the difference between jh13 and 16 using ipod touch is misleading.

I'm not going to dispute that point. What I told the OP was that since he already ordered the jh13 that he shouldn't worry because how much bass he gets depends on what he's listening to and since he likes hip hop he will have more than enough bass due to how those recordings are mastered. The jh16 would provide more bass but unless you're a bass head it won't really matter. Listening to say, classical on the jh13 is totally different than listening to dance music. With classical the bass would be subdued whereas with dance the shell of the iem vibrates due to the bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back