JH-13 pro:Just Feeling it. Epilogue...
Jan 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 54
That cable end looks a bit dodgy...
also, the braid looks like it is coming apart just before the heat shrink.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 54
On a more positive note:

I really enjoyed the International Motorcycle show,it really is my first passion (outside of the nice females I persuaded into hopping on the back over the years!)

Now,these "low profile" JH phones are nice and flat even with the Twag cable fit nicely into a helmet,so to that end the products are successful.
I chose JH Audio from their background in aviation headset work.

Also,it will not be for a lack of trying that this stuff may not work for me.
I have preordered a Pico Slim amp and will probably stick with the Sansa Fuze
for my motorcycle package.

Today I have e-mailed Whiplash Audio and JH Audio to address my concerns,we shall see how this pans out.

DSC01664.jpg

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5aces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this for treatment? MP3 all the way...
DSC01662.jpg

It's true,no visceral shake,I got them in "low profile" for the helmet,while riding,at least...

Thanks for the interest,here are the TWag shots:
DSC01661.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

WOW - that is unacceptable and will be address immediately!!

This is not a standard practice and will be taken care of.......

Sorry!!

Craig

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 54
Mmmmm delicious and expensive very esoteric and premium melted cable.

At that level of product good sir, nobody should accept that kind of assembly fault.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #22 of 54
Thanks Duggeh and Head-Fi members for your support.

Now,fact is Whiplash Audio replied Within the Hour!

I like that.

Second,a more than fair recompense has been established.

Third,if all goes through,I would heartily recommend doing business with the Whiplash.

I pimped the crippled cable on JH Audio Facebook just the same,so the Boss is getting some good press none the less.

Thanks Craig @ Whiplash Audio,for stopping by.

Now-where is Jerry? Stay tuned...

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Thanks Duggeh and Head-Fi members for your support.

Now,fact is Whiplash Audio replied Within the Hour!

I like that.

Second,a more than fair recompense has been established.

Third,if all goes through,I would heartily recommend doing business with the Whiplash.

I pimped the crippled cable on JH Audio Facebook just the same,so the Boss is getting some good press none the less.

Thanks Craig @ Whiplash Audio,for stopping by.

Now-where is Jerry? Stay tuned...

What is the exact issue with the Jh13's? as i found it a bit unclear apart from they don't sound like huge cabinet speakers! lol - is it the fit or SQ?
How many hours have you had with the 13's & Twag burn in time?

I am used to having iems and have the IE8's & SE530's again they all sound very different now to the first day or month i had them. If i had to make a desicion about my IE8's after a few weeks i would of sold them and regretted it.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that level of product good sir, nobody should accept that kind of assembly fault.

Agreed

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the exact issue with the Jh13's?

1)Left "Helix Lock" becomes slightly loose,enough to break the seal>>check

2)High end soundstage,low end presence-underwhelming>>check

I should preface any further comments by informing all that I only joined in November,2009,too late for the meets to really find out about head-fi things.

After scouring portable sound information online,I thought perhaps now is the time to treat my ears to "something new"

Now,let me say that these are old ears that have been subjected to plenty of abuse by their owner!

While having the impressions done by a JH Audio recommended audiologist,I opted for a complete hearing test to assess any 'damage'.

Well,what a surprise-I was only 10db below average straight across the sound line graph,great!
2,500 18 year olds average test results establish the bar for 'normal',so I figure I'm good to go.

Off to the portable IEM races right?

Start looking and fell into the JH-13 *appreciation thread* similar to the *pictures of my portable rig thread* for their covet factor...

Not wanting the interconnects to contribute to any 'earstage' I ordered the Twag cable upgrade ahead of the JH-13 order and patiently wait while 'slumming' with the NuForce NE 8.

UPS day January 14,2010-start burning.I realize the process is incomplete.

Why is it that the message has to point back to the "weakest link in the audio chain"

There are times when I want to use my Garmin GPS while hiking,it has a 1/8 jack output and plays MP3 files,why can't I use my new gear and be "blown away"??

2607bc53.jpg
0b9d5832.jpg

At least that big honking Viablue jack fits through the Garmin case...
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find soundstage to come from the entire audio path, rather than being a property of primarily the headphones.

If this is the case with IEM setups,I suppose it is still the proverbial Chihuahua nipping at your heels.
I was expecting the Bull Mastiff to to leap out and rip my face off...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for you wanting more involvement, awesome though the JH-13 are, they're never going to give you the visceral stimulation you seem to be chasing.

I'll buy you a round of your Scottish Whiskey for that!
Bullseye-IEM just aren't there yet for my ears,they are good but not THAT good.

Hope to make it down to 2010 Can Jam Chicago Forum 2010 International Head-Fi Meet and get some serious listening in!

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #26 of 54
You sound like a "seize life by the throat" kinda guy and respect for it, but.
Sounds to me like you need to slooow down.
Changing cables before even getting the 'phones would seem a bit previous.
Many JH13 owners have had to have several refits before getting a good fit. It seems to be in the nature of customs to have to persevere.
Re. Source. Garbage in, garbage out.
High end audio kit does not always blow you away. Sometimes it takes a while for it's charms to become evident.
You have gone for a top of the line IEM that has a massive fan club on here. Give them due respect and time. I am sure that they will repay the effort.
beerchug.gif

Fabulous Commando BTW. I used to have a Dominator...

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

1)Left "Helix Lock" becomes slightly loose,enough to break the seal>>check

2)High end soundstage,low end presence-underwhelming>>check

I should preface any further comments by informing all that I only joined in November,2009,too late for the meets to really find out about head-fi things.

UPS day January 14,2010-start burning.I realize the process is incomplete.

No.2 is (pardon the pun >>) sounds as if it is probably connected to No.1, sounds like you just need a refit as there have been plenty of people as you will know from reading the JH13 appreciation thread that have had to have anywhere between 2-5 refits and they will not sound how they should until that issue of fit is resolved.

Plus with them only a few days old, once you get the fit proper and you get listening time under your belt with burn in will help the SQ improve.

As they say "patience is a virtue" ? so hang in there as it is a lot of money to invest to dismiss them to soon, someone on the 13 appreciation thread even thought their 13's sounded better from an iphone hp out than their AKG701's did with a top amp!

All i know is i like my Senn IE8's & Shure SE530 iems as it is and JH13s owners who have/had both of my iems who liked them say they are approx 3 or 4 times better than the IE8 & SE530 which is good enough for me and am looking forward to getting them despite the knowledge of agonising refits
frown.gif

That sound you are looking for like your hey days with speakers in the field party's might be acheived on a cheaper budget with some nice warm bass heavy JVC fx500's with say a Sony X dap
wink_face.gif

Hope it all works out for you with the JH13's.
If not you could always strap some speakers to either side of your motorcycle! lol
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope it all works out for you with the JH13's.
If not you could always strap some speakers to either side of your motorcycle!

I was one of the first people in Toronto to put a Craig Vetter 'Windjammer' fairing on my 1978 Honda Gold Wing GL1000.
That allowed me to get one of the first pre-formed stereo housings to fit into the fairing,almost unheard of at the time and put a full stereo on the motorcycle.

I purchased the most powerful in-dash Audiovox I could find,amped it and installed two Jensen speakers on each side.
Put on my Bell helmet-and was blown away.I just loved to ride and have my music pumping right to my ears.

Even better when I would ride to Ohio State,just so I could pull off my hemet and rip off my t-shirt.
Roaring down the highway in cutoff jeans and a pair of Converse,all while listening to my favorite tapes-what a rush!

Fast forward to 2010.
Yes,I'm coming out of the sound closet.
Refined listening rooms,specialized criterion to get the listening 'process' just right.
In the presence of all that,I am weak for full,powerful sound.

Watching the JH-13's burn in with the glistening TWag cable,I understand that what I'm nostalgic for is not my younger lifestyle.I had to work too hard back then.

It's the realization of how spoiled I've become.
Each time I twist the JH-13's into my ears,I'm grasping at a memory's tail,a younger version who was not so spoiled that he would say something like,"I hope tonight's foie gras can wash away the foul taste of last night's foie gras"
A kid who was grateful just to have a few songs to play.(1)

(1)Thanks to Corey Mintz(for the above quote) and all who have stopped by.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubrmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LeeMark,
Can you describe the difference in SQ between the stock cords and your upgrade? Are JH-13's even listenable through a stock iPod Lossless files? I currently have Westone UM-2's (shopping for amp / considering new IEM's instead).
Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed answer and I don't want to hijack the thread. They are fine with the stock cord, but after now around 200 hrs on the TWag the sound is clear, and dynamic, the best I could describe it is that a little of the muddiness is gone that I heard with the stock cables. I am not one of those guys who like to describe every nuance in sound, like I would describe wine differences, I just know what I like and hear and I hear an improvement with the TWag cables. I am amazed daily how nice the JH13s sound with this cable out of the RSA shadow and iMod. I discover new songs daily, that just like I am hearing them for the first time, even though I have heard them thousands of times before, the detail is unbelievable, lately, listening to Annie Lennox and Wilco.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #30 of 54
Thanks for explaining the cable nuances LeeMark.

Now it is Monday morning and Corporate North America is in full swing.

Yes,Jerry Harvey e-mailed from his mobile device just after 10:00AM and assured me that the fit would be made right and will make sure nothing has happened in the circuit of the JH-13 earphones.

Buy North American?

You bet I will-thanks to Jerry for his direct and forthright response.

Honestly,if I was underwhelmed by the sound,I am certainly overwhelmed by the service of these made-right-here operations!

Keep up the 'sound' practices and you will have a customer for life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back