JH 13 Lacking Bass, Disappointed, How to fix
Feb 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #46 of 59
Well the JH13 cable is user replaceable so no shipping of the phone

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ChicagoNB. What is "much improved?" I don't mean to be skeptical of your observation, yet I want to know how big of a difference you are talking here... When I read "much improved," I think of the difference between a hi-fi component and something like Bose. So, given your high-end resume, can you compare the difference between your stock and SCSAg cable in a broader context? I ask because I see lots of hyperbolic comments about "huge differences" that are more likely relatively minor sonic differences. Thanks.

Think of sitting on the couch watching a tube Tv. Now swap out the tube tv into HiDef and put your nose on the screen. I would say that I was very skeptical about an aftermarket cable, but I did it and I truly noticed a difference. The stock cable sounds good because the IEMs drag it up, but now the cable rules the show. It actually sounds like you're at a concert. The sound is stadium big. Feels like you coul reach out and touch the musician. I'm not bragging or touting Qusp's cabel but I noticed probably a 30-40% improvement in sound quality. That's just my opinion though. The cabel itself is uniformly braided, not a single gap. Tight connection with the pins. It stays straight. It's definitely stiffer than the stock cable. It makes it kinda difficult to stow away as it needs a larger space. You can't coil it in shirt pocket or such. It wants to stay straight.

I say if you have the means, go for it and try it for yourself. I'm sure that if you are disappointed someone out there would buy it off of you.

For comparison, I have the Cure's Greatest hit collection burned at a high bit rate and with the stock cable it sounded great. With the new cable, it's distorted all over the place. Unlissenable in fact. So I have to change the EQ on that album in order to enjoy it.

These are just MY OPINIONS and can't say that you would experience the same as I did. True I do have a very good amp pushing things thru. Don't take anything away from the RSA Shadow but I noticed a very different sound with the aftermarket cable. I'm in the process of burning it in, if you believe in burn in. Ask Quasp, he's an MOT. He can explain in more exact science between the two. If you go that route, be sure to drop my name for bonus points. And no I don't get anything by dropping his name.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #49 of 59

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #50 of 59
Thanks ChicagoNB. I believe your perceptions. If that's what you are noticing, then that is what you are noticing. BTW, I am not a disbeliever in aftermarket cables. I have many nice aftermarket cables, mainly for my home gear (ICs, speaker cable, power cords), and also use ALO line out docks for my portable rig, which includes an RSA tomahawk.

However, I cannot describe the sonic differences from any of my cables as "30%-40%." I just don't hear such great differences, and honestly have the cables for as much a fear that I don't want to potentially be punishing a hi-end system with a cheap link, as a hope that I am able to report a large improvement in sound quality from my cables. But I don't. "30-40%." That is huge. I might say something a lot less based on my observations (10%?), but like you, "that is just me" (and I have some good cables that folks here gush over). But hey, if that's what you are hearing...

I look forward to hearing my new JH-16s when I get them. I'll pair them with my amp, or maybe one of the new digital volume controlled one's. And, fortunately I have the means to try out the TWag -- to again maintain a strong link throughout, or maybe like you, notice a large improvement. So, I may get one. As you say, if I don't notice the difference, I can always sell it. I'll also have a good amp in the mix.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ChicagoNB. I look forward to hearing my new JH-16s when I get them. I'll pair them with my amp, or maybe one of the new digital volume controlled one's. And, fortunately I have the means to try out the TWag -- to again maintain a strong link throughout, or maybe like you, notice a large improvement. So, I may get one. As you say, if I don't notice the difference, I can always sell it. I'll also have a good amp in the mix.

Jealous!!!! I wish I had the 16s. But I can't complain with the 13s either. Best of luck.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #52 of 59
Just to add on, I would have to echo ChicagoNB's impressions of the scscag cable. I just received mine not too long ago for use with my JH13pros and was completely taken by surprise. With my experience with numerous aftermarket cables on several full-sized headphones, I honestly wasn't expecting too much from the scscag. I could never really pick up any discernible differences with other cables that I've used. However, I can definitively say this is the first cable that has me firmly believing that cables do in fact make a difference and I would have to agree that the change with the scscag is not minimal but quite drastic.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #53 of 59
Wow, "drastic." Thanks, steve.

Don't be jealous ChicagoNB, I bet the 6s are pretty similar to the 13s...they are supposed to be quite similar, except for a tad more bass in the 16s. I don't think it's a step up as opposed to over, from what I have been told.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #55 of 59
Using the TWag, had the SCSCag, the TWag is outstanding and even improves upon the SCSCag. More clarity, better separation etc. You don't realize this until you try the new cables, they are a great investment.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using the TWag, had the SCSCag, the TWag is outstanding and even improves upon the SCSCag. More clarity, better separation etc. You don't realize this until you try the new cables, they are a great investment.

I was so impressed with the SCSCag I ordered the TWag this morning
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #57 of 59
Just have to point out the mine came with white gold connection pins versus the silver pins and a custom molded connector. There is aslo i nice sleeve to keep them pinned to your head to reduce microphonics.

I think the white gold pins make the most improvement overall. IF I had to complain about the SCSag cable, it isn't as flexible as the TWAG cable but it's not a problem. Just harder to store when not in use. Not a deal breaker though.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyboyni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I have just purchased Some JH 13 pro in ear monitors to replace my Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.

I am currently using my monitors through a iriver h 140.

I have noticed the wider sound stage on my JH 13, but it lacks the boom of bass I had with the triplefi 10, and I like nice bass.

So what are my options to increase the bass on my JH 13, does it mean I must buy a portable headphone amp, which one?, I was thinking getting the ibasso d10 too pair up with my iriver with its optical out.

Also would getting replacement cable for my JH 13 pro help, was thinking about getting Elite TWag Replacement Cable 48".

Thanks for any suggestions.

I heard a clear improvment with the TWag LOD on the iMod from my TWcu LOD. So good, I went and spent $300 on the TWag jh16 cable. BTW craig is fantastic to deal with!

However a cable change will only deliver so much improvment. if you want more 'dramatic' bass improvements from your jh13 definatley amp them with something like the Graham Slee Voyager (contour switch on). It will blow you away - fantastic amp.

Dont hang yourself! the jh13's will deliver - have faith!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back