JH 13 Lacking Bass, Disappointed, How to fix
Feb 11, 2010 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Dannyboyni

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have just purchased Some JH 13 pro in ear monitors to replace my Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.

I am currently using my monitors through a iriver h 140.

I have noticed the wider sound stage on my JH 13, but it lacks the boom of bass I had with the triplefi 10, and I like nice bass.

So what are my options to increase the bass on my JH 13, does it mean I must buy a portable headphone amp, which one?, I was thinking getting the ibasso d10 too pair up with my iriver with its optical out.

Also would getting replacement cable for my JH 13 pro help, was thinking about getting Elite TWag Replacement Cable 48".

Thanks for any suggestions.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 59
Try bumping the bass frequencies by 6db. The TF10 is a boomy IEM to start with. The JH13 is much more transparent.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 59
Have not got the JH13 but I can say that a D10 paired via a SysConcept optical cable to the iRiver is a great combo. However depending on the opamps used there might be som hiss with sensetive iem's. I get a fair amount of hiss with my UM3x out of the D10 but that is not with the stock opamps. Also the choice of opamps can affect the amount of bass you get from the D10 but I'm not a great roller so you need advice on this from somebody like HiFlight or Jamato8

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 59
Are you certain you have a solid seal? i've heard great things about the 13's bass capabilities.

a poor seal will always destroy your bass levels

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by LintHart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you certainly you have a solid seal? i've heard great things about the 13's bass capabilities.

a poor seal will always destroy your bass levels

It has to be the seal. JH13 bass rivals or even exceeds the TF10s

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 59
no way does TF10 bass better Jh13, I think there is another issue at hand, if you want more bass than JH13 then you are looking for something entirely unnatural. no cable will do it for you. get an amp with bass boost perhaps. or install rockbox on the iriver and bump the bass a touch. that being said you cant go wrong getting the D10 for use with your iriver IMO this is one of the bet combinations of portable gear around. with some nice opamps this synergy with D10 and JH13 is quite sublime

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 59
i think my JH13's bass is very punchy and very full. I think you have a problem with the fitting and seal on your JH.

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 59
Qusp is on track, but I think it goes further: the JH13Pro is not an easy phone to drive. The output needs to have push-pull out and be able to drive low Ω loads. The iRiver can drive dynamic earphones pretty well, but it along with 99% of DAPs falls flat. Even amps will fall flat. there are a select few which can fully drive balanced armature earphones especially complex machines like the JH13Pro. The ALO Rx is one for sure and a few others, but amps too, are few which can drive the JH13Pro with no adverse affects which lead to lowered bass response.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qusp is on track, but I think it goes further: the JH13Pro is not an easy phone to drive. The output needs to have push-pull out and be able to drive low Ω loads. The iRiver can drive dynamic earphones pretty well, but it along with 99% of DAPs falls flat. Even amps will fall flat. there are a select few which can fully drive balanced armature earphones especially complex machines like the JH13Pro. The ALO Rx is one for sure and a few others, but amps too, are few which can drive the JH13Pro with no adverse affects which lead to lowered bass response.

Absolutely, must have the right amp...in addition if you are bass hungry, the JH16s have dual bass drivers.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely, must have the right amp...in addition if you are bass hungry, the JH16s have dual bass drivers.

the JH13'a have dual bass drivers
wink.gif

the JH16's have DUAL dual bass drivers
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 59
Thanks for the replies,

How do I know I have a good seal? Is it if I push the monitors in by hand while inserted the sound alters? If I push them in while in my ears I notice no difference in sound. I have rockboxed my iriver. If the JH 16 does have better bass capabilities than the JH 13 pro, I will prob want to hang myself hehe I should have waited.

And if the ALO Rx is the best amp for my hungry bass needs I will buy it, but would the ibasso d10 not perform well in that respect as well? (anyone configured the ibasso for the best bass sound perhaps?), or does it sound good stock?

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amen. Whole different world out of the iPhone 3GS and Travagan's Green. A solid dedicated amp really pushes the bass out of these babies.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 59
I've preordered a pico-slim to get the most fullness out of my ordered JH16's. A wise move yes? I'm certainly wanting as much bass as I can myself (hence why i waited oh so long for the 16s over 13s) but will I lose much bass extension if I use a pure silver interconnect over a copper cable? What about silver plated copper? The low profile mini jacks I want are too small to make a copper/silver braided cable out of but I really want the best lows and highs I can get.
Sorry to highjack the thread but I'm sure this applies to dannyboyni aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back