JH 13 Lacking Bass, Disappointed, How to fix
Feb 11, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best fix would be to buy jh16 surely?

No no don't tell him that he's just dropped $1100 on the 13's and we can't have him hang himself.

I'd be playing with the EQ a little and make a solid amp. If it's any consolation, Jerry prefers and recoomends the ALO Rx for the JH13's. It's also a nice size too but you might want to get your name on the preorder list for the pico slim before lower price runs out. Likely not available for little while but those who have heard it (pre-production model at a head-fi meet) have named it their favourite amp for the JH13s

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #17 of 59
Sounds like a seal problem. I had the Triple.Fi and have heard the JH13. The JH13 have more bass impact than any IEM or headphone I've ever heard. Frankly, I thought it was too much. I heard it with an iPod and portable RSA amp, but even with just the iPod's output you should still get plenty of bass.

And for portable amps, go with the RSA Protector. I have never heard a better sounding portable amp. Running them balanced sounds like you are using a home amp.

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qusp is on track, but I think it goes further: the JH13Pro is not an easy phone to drive. The output needs to have push-pull out and be able to drive low Ω loads. The iRiver can drive dynamic earphones pretty well, but it along with 99% of DAPs falls flat. Even amps will fall flat. there are a select few which can fully drive balanced armature earphones especially complex machines like the JH13Pro. The ALO Rx is one for sure and a few others, but amps too, are few which can drive the JH13Pro with no adverse affects which lead to lowered bass response.

Or a good Class A amp, like the DNA Sonett.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a seal problem. I had the Triple.Fi and have heard the JH13. The JH13 have more bass impact than any IEM or headphone I've ever heard. Frankly, I thought it was too much. I heard it with an iPod and portable RSA amp, but even with just the iPod's output you should still get plenty of bass.

And for portable amps, go with the RSA Protector. I have never heard a better sounding portable amp. Running them balanced sounds like you are using a home amp.

Having compared the TF10 and JH13 side by side, I would say that the TF10 has more quantity and its bass lingers for a while so it sounds fat, slow, and undefined. On the other hand, the JH13's bass is as quick and textured as I've heard from any headphone.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having compared the TF10 and JH13 side by side, I would say that the TF10 has more quantity and its bass lingers for a while so it sounds fat, slow, and undefined. On the other hand, the JH13's bass is as quick and textured as I've heard from any headphone.

A perfect choice of words. The bass on the Triple Fis is exactly that to me. As a matter of fact, the mids and to some extent, the highs, seemed so recessed and veiled to me that I assumed it was me. As a former musician and getting up there in years, I worry about losing more high range hearing.

But then I got the JH13s, and I see now that it was not me. These are perfectly balanced over the entire range; bass is just right. I am also using the ALO Rx. Fantastic combo.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2, it is the seal if you feel the unamped TG10s have better bass than the JH13. My JH13 are away this week getting fixed and I have been using the TF10s for the first time in 3 months, and in comparison, it sounds so muddy, deep bass but not realistic. I hope you figure it out, but I really don't think it is because you need the JH16s, so don't fret. Either way, get a good amp, the shadow, AloRx, Protector, Pico slim or whatever, it will really help.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 59
The 13 and the 16 are tuned almost the same. The 16 will have +2 db more output at 50hz. The real sonic difference is in the detail in the lows from the increased headroom when the earpiece is driven hard. The 16 has more capacity down low when someone Eqs in a heavy bass or an artist requires a big bass bump on a kick drum and is listening at a loud performance level.

sounds to me like he needs the 16.

p.s. If I had the disposable the jh16's would have been mine a month ago or more.

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

p.s. If I had the disposable the jh16's would have been mine a month ago or more.

Doubt that as they are as far as I know not available yet
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

The 16 has more capacity down low when someone Eqs in a heavy bass or an artist requires a big bass bump on a kick drum and is listening at a loud performance level.

that's music to my ears mate. I intend to EQ the **** out of them. I love my Cowon D2
biggrin.gif
the next 31 days (or so) are truly going to suck while I wait.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 59
Upgrade to JH16 Pro . . .
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JH Audio
"Inside the 16, JH Audio’s proprietary single dual high, single dual mid and double dual low drivers terminate into a triple bore. This triple bore allows us to double the low frequency drivers for lower distortion, increased headroom and greater detail and accuracy in the low frequencies."

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 59
I find that straight out of my iRiver or iPod the JH13's bass certainly isn't big. But when I hooked it up to an amp (SR-71) the bass suddenly became very big and full. Surprisingly so. I personally felt it was too much bass, but seems you have a preference for it. Have you tried the JH 13 with an amp at all?

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #28 of 59
Unfortunately, not all amps are created equal. I have hooked up to a few and suddenly wondered, 'where's the bass?'. Seal is most important and overall fit. Afterward, I would attack source and amp. The JH13Pro is a high end earphone and it really shines with a good output.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 59
I am listening to the 13's balanced and the bass is fine. When I listen with my iRiver H120 and noting all the amps I have, I still find the 13's to do a good job. Listen to bass as delivered in a normal live performance. I think we become used to heavy over the top bass on many recordings/bass heavy phones, and expect this to be normal. While a good bass foundation is fundamental, finding that natural balance isn't always easy. I have found that the 13's do resolve and deliver bass and from my own experience, fairly easy to drive. As always the better the source, chain of electronics upstream, the better these IEM's sound but to my ear, they sound exceptional even strait out of my iRiver.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 59
I'm listening to the JH13s and a live recording of the Monks ("I Hate You") with an ipod classic and pico slim/twag lod right now. The bass is damn near overwheming. I'm not sure if you might have a seal issue, or a source issue, or what, but the 13s put out what the recording gives (I'm not overwhelmed on other recordings), so all I can't think is that you need to eq if you want the kind of bass you seem to want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back