Jerry Harvey Audio JH16 Review: 8 drivers of fun
Nov 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 53
I did add the DX100 to the first post not all that long ago, however now I have the latest firmware and the DX100 has taken a nice step forward from then.  It is now better than the 801 with GAME card, although not by too much.  The 801 with GAME card seems like it was developed with the JH16 in mind, but the DX100 is amazing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #33 of 53
Finally got my JH16 sounds like 5 way with EQs in my ipod classic rockboxed. 
tongue_smile.gif
. It took me 10 eq bands and long long time listening/adjusting. Technically it still doesn't come close to 5 way, but in terms of sound signature, it's very close now :) Now I see how neutral 5 way is and how colored JH16 is lol

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #34 of 53
I don't think anybody buys a 16 as a neutral device, at least they shouldn't. It is and meant to be enhanced. If you were on a loud stage, the se5 or jh13 would sound anemic. For home use, the 16 is definitely a bass enhanced model with some extra treble presence to help cut through. Never heard the SE5 but at least the current 13 has plenty of bass.

For you, Tupac, it's probably cool to have both a neutral and enhanced sound as long as you knew what you were getting into. For others, the 16 is just right for everything but I'm also not one of those others. I think the title says it all. Fun but not for someone that strongly values neutrality which to me is synonymous with natural.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:
Finally got my JH16 sounds like 5 way with EQs in my ipod classic rockboxed. 
tongue_smile.gif
. It took me 10 eq bands and long long time listening/adjusting. Technically it still doesn't come close to 5 way, but in terms of sound signature, it's very close now :) Now I see how neutral 5 way is and how colored JH16 is lol

The 5-way is neutral in a sense, but not neutral in the way the IERM, LCM-5, or NT-6 are.

Quote:
I don't think anybody buys a 16 as a neutral device, at least I should not. It is and meant to be enhanced. If you were on a loud stage, the se5 or jh13 would sound anemic. For home use, the 16 is definitely a bass enhanced model with some extra treble presence to help cut through. Never heard the SE5 but at least the current 13 has plenty of bass.

For you, Tupac, it's probably cool to have both a neutral and enhanced sound as long as you knew what you were getting into. For others, the 16 is just right for everything but I'm also not one of those others. I think the title says it all. Fun but not for someone that strongly values neutrality which to me is synonymous with natural.

I am not so sure the 5-way would sound anemic on a loud stage due to the additional isolation of silicone and the very capable bass that can keep up with the JH16 when a track has a lot of bass in it.  The 5-way changes with tracks more than anything else I have heard, and that still holds true.  The JH16 bass is always on.

But I can see where many people would prefer the bass of the JH16 as well as the overall presentation as it is very detailed and revealing, but still musical.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #36 of 53
I am still amazed how 5 way can present instruments in such a clean way with super clarity and depth, specially the bass region.  It really varies with different songs, doesn't fully fill the soundstage but always keeping a decent bass line. After listening to it, the electronic guitar and drums always sounds a bit off tone with all my other CIEMs. 5 way is probably a little bit warm due to the slight cut around 8-11k. But the airiness of the extended treble makes up for it. I was caught up by the clarity of NT6, but you were right, it's like a racing car, if you drive it for long time, it doesn't go easy on you. The peak at 11k sometimes can make the upper vocal/instrument sound hot. I wish I can combine the trebles of 5 way and NT6 :) 

JH 16 has a V shaped response to my ears before 10K, which will make the vocal slightly recessed. And the bass is really always turned on on every instrument. I had to tune down some bass, some sibilance at 8k and boost some airiness above 12k.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

The 5-way is neutral in a sense, but not neutral in the way the IERM, LCM-5, or NT-6 are.

I am not so sure the 5-way would sound anemic on a loud stage due to the additional isolation of silicone and the very capable bass that can keep up with the JH16 when a track has a lot of bass in it.  The 5-way changes with tracks more than anything else I have heard, and that still holds true.  The JH16 bass is always on.

But I can see where many people would prefer the bass of the JH16 as well as the overall presentation as it is very detailed and revealing, but still musical.

I agree except for on stageuse, you get so much bass energy from conductionly that a a few db wont be the determining factor.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #38 of 53
Hello Joe:

I am planning to purchase either the JH13/16, I was wondering if JH16 will be too strong for me since I have really sensitive ears, and bright earphones causes much ear pain. However i'd prefer earphones with good bass, which would you recommend?

Thank you

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #39 of 53
Hello Joe:

I am planning to purchase either the JH13/16, I was wondering if JH16 will be too strong for me since I have really sensitive ears, and bright earphones causes much ear pain. However i'd prefer earphones with good bass, which would you recommend?

Thank you

The Heir Audio 8.A is perfect for you. It's has excellent bass and a smooth treble which is great for sensitive ears.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:
Hello Joe:

Thank you

I don't find my new version 13s bright at all and the bass on the up side if neutral. Haven't heard the 8a but like the jh16. it uses the twfk which often have a bit of sparkle,

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:
The Heir Audio 8.A is perfect for you. It's has excellent bass and a smooth treble which is great for sensitive ears.

For your situation I agree with Kunlun's recommendation.  The i9pro and Earsonics EM6 are other options that would work well for what you are looking for.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #42 of 53
the old version jh16 and new version jh16 [ freqphase ]

it have different about bass ?

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #45 of 53
I so confused

I think, I listen old JH16 Demo before get ear impression have heavy bass more than new Jh16 [ Freqphase ]

T_T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back