JenaLab recabled R10
Apr 26, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #286 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find it ironic how you guys b****h and b***h about their cable prices and how it's all done with pixie dust! So, who do we go after next? Nordost? TARA Labs? Stealth Indra makers? Sheesh!

uhhh last i checked none of those companies ruined a set of headphones, then tried to tell the user the work they did was worth $4500 dollars, then have some complete retard come to head-fi to shill for them about it. Also, to be fair, people give those companies stick about their prices all the time.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #287 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uhhh last i checked none of those companies ruined a set of headphones, then tried to tell the user the work they did was worth $4500 dollars, then have some complete retard come to head-fi to shill for them about it. Also, to be fair, people give those companies stick about their prices all the time.

Yeah, I'm the dumb shill, the one asking questions TRYING to find out an answer! I'm very familiar with the R10s, at least enough to know it would be very traumatic having a 6k can butchered! I would be MORE than upset..

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #288 of 626
Would it make you feel any better if someone probably associated with the company that butchered them was posting personal emails about you from someone within the company? How about having that same person who is "trying to find out an answer" be way more biased than anyone else in the thread? I'm sure you'd be thrilled.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #289 of 626
Quote:

Yeah, I'm the dumb shill, the one asking questions TRYING to find out an answer!

You should start by giving answers about yourself and your special "relation" with JenaLabs...

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #290 of 626
Quote:

Yeah, I'm the dumb shill, the one asking questions TRYING to find out an answer! I'm very familiar with the R10s, at least enough to know it would be very traumatic having a 6k can butchered! I would be MORE than upset..

You don't need to find an answer. You need to provide answers:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4132639-post208.html

Anyways, i'm out of this thread. It was fun while it lasted
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks to all who provided intelligent viewpoints and my best wishes to BoilingFrog.

markl and Morph201 are now blocked for me.
-DK

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #291 of 626
Quote:

**As the World Turns.. sheesh
rolleyes.gif

I have been in contact with the owner(s) of JenaLabs, and I would advise everyone to at least hear BOTH sides of the story and not run to the assumption that JenaLabs is at total fault. I sympathize with the R10 owner if everything he said is completely accurate, but I also find it VERY hard to believe that a reputable company such as JenaLabs would conduct themselves in a less than professional mannner. JenaLabs deals with equipment worth a lot more than R10s, do you honestly think they would risk their name for a pair of headphones??

If what JenaLabs has told me is true it's truly SICKENING that someone would try to damage their reputation in such a manner!!

Let's just re-quote your first post. Keep in mind this was posted 3.5 hours after the thread was created. So someone who supposedly has no affiliation with JenaLabs has their side of the story with in three hours. You felt so compelled to keep this thread "fair and balanced" that the first thing you did after seeing is was get on the bat phone and call JenaLabs? And they told the entire story(and it does seem to be a story) to a complete stranger? And you were able to determine within the three hours that they were not at fault?

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #292 of 626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Missed one thing:

Ken of AOL writes a HUGE post extolling the virtues of the the very pair pair of cans that Jena screwed up. Their poor sound quality was obviously noticeable to Alex yet inspired Ken to do this

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my take on that:

Ken thinks said headphones sound great

Alex and their owner think they sound like doo doo

Alex opens them up and behold they are all messed up and judging from the pictures they look like they sound like doo doo

Maybe Ken just hadn't heard the stock cans to compare them to?

-

edit - just read Ken's monster post on it and I think he mentioned he compared them to the stock there

Let's be clear, this is the extent of what Ken had to say about the R10s he heard at JL:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*snip*

The stock R10s - Yeah there they are, so smooth liquid and airy. Detail was just pouring out like someone removed the cotton from some of my best headphones, beautiful. Then the recabled R10s, yeah its was stunning and like a totally different headphone all together. The most impact from a headphone cable I have ever heard and easy the best headphone I have ever experienced. The biggest thing I noticed was the sheer weight and girth of the sound, yet will no loss of detail on the delicate sonics. The light lace like finger of the music so airy and expansive. A beautiful tight as hell bottom end, stunning. My jaw was on the table and she was just laughing at me with a knowing nod. I took them off and said you have got to be kidding, did you do something to the track or do something with the CD player? Of course she is just pointing to the cable. Still not believing I had her switch the phones again, still amazed I grabbed my iMod – LE-Vcap dock – LISA3 amp and qued up a track on my system to A/B the 2 phones. Yep still there and still was the huge difference.

*snip*

So at the end of the day I was able to audition 3 R10s, one stock, one recabled with the UW to a balanced XLR with a 1/4 adaptor and one with the same UW cable to a 1/4 plug that was just glorious. The R10 is not my cup of tea size wise, me being a freak for anything portable and this is why I was so in love with the Edition9s. But for sheer sound quality, wow the recabled R10s was a real treat!

I know that there will be nay sayers who will read this and go on with negativity, yeah hes in the business and has his motives for saying this for profit, your wanting to help JennaLabs out, I want to sell snake oil, I am full of poopoo, etc..and what ever. But the fact is that the cable does make a huge difference, is it for everyone, hell no. Moreover I really do not want to do a lot of headphone work because its not really that profitable, and takes a great deal of time.

*See ToneAudio Edition 10 and 10
Tone Audio Online - Download Tone Magazine

Note: None of the R10s are the property of JenaLabs and they have none for sale.

Ken @ ALO

I assume the 1/4 terminated and stock models were BoilingFrog's and Ken does not even indicate which ones he is "reviewing" with his minimal comments about sound. However, I think that it is clear that Ken heard the R10s after the first re-cable effort. While it is true that BF said that "they were veiled, muffled, without extension and overly resonant," it was not until the second JL re-cable effort that the real damage was done. BF said in his post #62 above that Jennifer told him the voice coil was torn during the second effort: "When I asked how the voice coil tore she said it was very fragile and it occurred on the second cable change. She states she had glued it back. I told her it wasn't done properly and hence the problems with the sound."

So, maybe Ken did not hear the same limitations that BF noted after the first re-cable, but BF has owned two pairs for some time and Ken certainly had far less R10 experience at that time. Anybody could hear something different between the two cans, according to ALL sources, but I don't think anybody should accuse Ken of doing anything wrong by writing up his thoughts. I also don't think it is appropriate to suggest that he intentionally misstated things because I don't believe there is any indication of that at all. Indeed, he heard a stock pair, the damaged pair and another JL re-cabled pair on that same day and his impressions are very limited although positive. As I and others have said earlier in the thread, there is no need to drag Ken into this at all.

I would still love to hear from JenaLabs so that we know their side of the story directly and without "spokespersons" in the middle. I am a little shocked that they have not done so already.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #293 of 626
Totally agree with you Volton and in no way mean that Ken misrepresented what he heard and it was bad to write up a review of it.

It does surprise me that, as best I can tell, he heard a stock version and the Jena version after the first recabling and thought they sounded better whereas the owner seems to think they sounded worse.

Maybe different ears. Maybe I'm mixing up the chronology.

It is somewhat relevant in that Jena used him, assuming Morph's email is real, as an appeal to authority that they did a good job whereas the owner was complaining about the sound, thereby accusing the owner of being problematic.

In any case it would be great to have Jena clear things up.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #298 of 626
Quote:

Obviously you two lack the grey matter to maintain some type of decorum. I'll say a prayer for you tonight!

Peace!

We simply agreed with you.

You have it all wrong ....

funny-pictures-cat-cares-about-prob.jpg

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #299 of 626
AAAAHHHHhhhhhh!!

Oh my… I was really hoping to not get dragged into this. But I think I should weigh in on this mess.

First of all I would like to say how sad all this makes me feel, for everyone. We should all be listening to music or enjoying springtime. Also I do not like to engage on tearing down or saying ill things about anyone, especially another vendor. I respect the people in the trade. This is a extremely competitive business but I believe in karma and despite having competing vendors that might not like me or my work I still would not say ill of them or post photos of others’ work on my forum or webpage. If you know me you know I am not confrontational, at all.

I did listen to the involved R10s (infamous R10s see them on my Avatar! And I should do something about that pic eh?) Keep in mind I heard the R10s after the first re-cable, and not the subsequent re-cable. So yeah, Voltron, you were spot on, as well as to the fact that I do not have much exp with the R10. I wish I owned a pair, though, but at the time of the audition it was only the 3rd time I had heard a R10. I did compare them with a stock R10 and clearly they were much better IMO than stock. I did very much like the way they sounded. Now apparently what happened is that the owner received the same phone and hated the sound, called them muddy etc… Fine by me. I disagree with friends of mine who like this phone over that one, and everyone is going to have differing preferences. We are all different and will all see and hear things different. I sincerely did like the phones and stick by my assessment. I have not edited my mini review and do not intend to.

I have never had any problem with the folks are JenaLabs. They have always been kind to me and again I feel bad about this whole thing. Perhaps JL made some unwise stances here and, as unfortunate as it would have been, should have cut her losses. I have stated that I would never recable a R10 and, well, for good reason. You simply cannot get replacement drivers for them and therefore I would never go there. I have not talked to Jennifer about this firestorm and only found out about this thread when I got a call from Jude yesterday. I do remember her saying that the R10 in question was recabled previously before she received them, and that the customer was now wanting a refund because they went bad. I cannot weigh in for JL. Only they can do this.

I think the JL wire is wonderful stuff, sound-wise. I see some people saying otherwise and again I think that in a forum you should be able to post your individual opinions, good or bad. I also think that the product should speak to you and speak for itself. I invite all to my table at the CanJam and you can draw your own conclusions on the wire, as I will have 4 or 5 modded headphone with the JL wire.

Again I feel bad for all folks involved.

Ken

PS: Volron thanks for the stick up, remind me to buy you a margarita next week!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #300 of 626
Quote:

I did listen to the involved R10s (infamous R10s see them on my Avatar! And I should do something about that pic eh?) Keep in mind I heard the R10s after the first re-cable, and not the subsequent re-cable. So yeah, Voltron, you were spot on, as well as to the fact that I do not have much exp with the R10. I wish I owned a pair, though, but at the time of the audition it was only the 3rd time I had heard a R10. I did compare them with a stock R10 and clearly they were much better IMO than stock. I did very much like the way they sounded.

Its great to hear that fair assessment and honest answer! I agree that a small audition may not be enough to assess something like this as you have honestly explained you were not able to spend as much time with them as you would have apparently liked to
smily_headphones1.gif
. i think i speak as a whole that we appreciate the honest answer and you sticking to your words!

Quote:

Now apparently what happened is that the owner received the same phone and hated the sound, called them muddy etc… Fine by me. I disagree with friends of mine who like this phone over that one, and everyone is going to have differing preferences. We are all different and will all see and hear things different.

That is extremely true, and the small amount of time may not have been enough time to truely do the R10's their proper justice! (granted i have tested JL cables, and i wasnt impressed.... but to each his own i suppose
smily_headphones1.gif
) I've had friends who arent into headphones come in and listen to 580's and HE-60's and not understand the difference in the pairs nor hear that much a difference in sound.
confused.gif

Quote:

I sincerely did like the phones and stick by my assessment. I have not edited my mini review and do not intend to.

Once again - i appreciate the honest answer and you sticking to your words! Ken, you have honestly gained that much more respect from this head-fi member!

~WT~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back