Jena Wires
Mar 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
Mar 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 34
That's why you DIY.
I own a short 18" ALO IC that's made with Jena, I am listening to it atm.
The biggest reason I wouldn't recable with Jena is the $cost$, and some other compelling reasons just brought up at the meet yesterday. There are a lot of other choices for me, and it's tough to make that plunge without first hearing the difference.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 34
because unfortunately there really isnt an alternative that is anywhere near as flexible and light; while remaining really nice sounding IMO. and since I DIY it really doesnt have much effect on me. sure on principle maybe and if I had another viable choice (which I am searching for belive me) I would use it; but until then its the best option unfortunately

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, been reading a lot of recable jobs using Jena wires lately. Only a few people were affected by Jena's treatment of the R10 and it's owner?

APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/je...ed-r10-319613/

For me it's enough to not want to ever consider Jena wires and surprised whenever I see a recable job using their stuff on this forum.

I'm not flaming people, just surprised is all.

I'm glad you posted this. Alex freakin' rocks.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 34
Try having the cryo done at a local facility. Most big cities have a place that offers cryo for tools, engine parts, etc. If you Google, there are a number of facilities you can mail parts to for cryo. Having a cable treated should be $5-$10. Cryo ain't big bucks, it's peanuts. Look into it yourselves.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 34
its not the cryo thats the problem; I realize thats not hard to find, the problem is finding a nice copper wire that is as flexible as jena is for the size.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 34
Seems like you all are missing the point. I agree with the OP. I won't use their products after that adventure in creative PR (even though most of it has been pulled down). Try some UP-OCC or something else, but don't try to justify using Jena products.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 34
Just because they did a terrible job at that recable (and there is no sympathy for the job they did or the fact that they even charged for messing up such a beautiful pair of headphones), does not mean they don't make some great wire.

Just makes me think that I won't be paying them for a recable and will do it myself.
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not the cryo thats the problem; I realize thats not hard to find, the problem is finding a nice copper wire that is as flexible as jena is for the size.

This OCC wire is the most flexible 24 awg wire I've seen anywhere. The strand count is extremely high. Also it looks really cool.
I don't know if the price is prohibitive.

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like you all are missing the point. I agree with the OP. I won't use their products after that adventure in creative PR (even though most of it has been pulled down). Try some UP-OCC or something else, but don't try to justify using Jena products.

so I suppose you dont eat mcdonalds, burger king, wear nike etc etc. or use any product that has had anything unsavory in their past?? I dont have to justoify using their product to anyone; I use it because it is still the best wire for the job IMO. althoufgh I am always on the lookot for alternatives; I have tried many different wires ikn an attempt to find a cheaper alternative that does the job as well; I simply havent found it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalenAngel
Just because they did a terrible job at that recable (and there is no sympathy for the job they did or the fact that they even charged for messing up such a beautiful pair of headphones), does not mean they don't make some great wire.

Just makes me think that I won't be paying them for a recable and will do it myself.
tongue.gif

X2, I dont excuse what they did, but I still want to use the best wire I know of for the job

Quote:

This OCC wire is the most flexible 24 awg wire I've seen anywhere. The strand count is extremely high. Also it looks really cool.
I don't know if the price is prohibitive.

yeah I was going to try that next, have been waiting for him to finish his stranded silver for ages and was going to get some of that copper at the same time. we have been in contact for at least 4 months regarding the silver, but only considered trying that copper a few weeks ago.. Though it looks like I may be waiting a while yet for that silver, so will probably get some in a couple of weeks. the price is a little high (nearly a dollar more than jena, which is already expensive) but worth it if its really great. plus 24AWG can be used for some things 22AWG cant. I will be giving this a try and if its better, I will start wit that. its a market economy after-all

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 34
Wow, I just spent 25 minutes reading through this situation. The audacity of the response by JenaLabs to the situation is a bit disturbing.
When I skimmed through their ridiculously long explanation email I found this part quite meaningful:
"An attempt was made to stabilize this fragile protrusion
of very fine wire by locating it adjacent to the physical boundary of
the ear speaker frame, and holding it in place with adhesive. This was a
trivial operation and not mentioned in any communications."

Even when doing a repair as a diyer non-professional I would never repair damage not reported by the owner without photographing it or mentioning it to the owner.

Even from a purely financial point of view this makes no sense.

Anyways, I know this issue happened a year ago, but still it makes me angry to think they're still out there doing business.

It's not their incompetence that makes me mad, but their refusal to do the right thing.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 34
I have hard time believing Jena wires are so superior, mostly because I don't believe Jena even makes the wires. Outsource, then Cryo, then charge up the *ss for them. A factility to make wires does not seem to be possible for Jena, but I could be wrong, but don't think so. It's like SAA, reading a whole lot of good marketing for what's probably just UPOCC wires.

Find a good source for wires and then just cryo service for far less as UncleErik suggested, doesn't seem hard to me.

Also I don't wear Nikes and as far as I know, products I use are from companies that are reputable. I've said it before, I only have what I need, so my materialistic consumerism has been very limited. But I do eat at McDonalds, if people are growing fat, it's their problem not McDonalds. But with Jena would seem more personal as if you are member of trade, you are using their product then in turn selling them, it's now part of your reputation.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 34
I have an idea. You can ship the cables to me and I'll pretend to cryo treat them and ship them back and wont even charge you a dime. Until I see some definitive science that shows any indication that freezing a cable will make any sonic difference what so ever, I remain skeptical of this operation and I'm convinced that some places don't really do anything other than hold them and ship them back. If your lucky they might dunk them in some LN2 for a few min.

There are legitimate places that cryo treat auto parts as a fault finding measure. I.E. If it cracks, there was an internal flaw that would have been revealed much to the dismay of the race team at the worst possible moment possibly damaging the engine block or injuring the driver. According to my limited knowledge in this area, I am pretty sure this process was adopted back in the days where the engine was in front of the driver in a drag car and drive shaft was right between his legs. They would have the universal joints treated and sometimes even the drive shaft. I have personally seen a cracked U-joint and a cracked push rod that where cryo treated. This doesn't happen as much as it used to do to higher manufacturing tolerances. The manufacturers tend to check the raw billet with sonic equipment these days before they even use it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rembrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an idea. You can ship the cables to me and I'll pretend to cryo treat them and ship them back and wont even charge you a dime. Until I see some definitive science that shows any indication that freezing a cable will make any sonic difference what so ever, I remain skeptical of this operation and I'm convinced that some places don't really do anything other than hold them and ship them back. If your lucky they might dunk them in some LN2 for a few min.

removed, not worth my time

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
removed, not worth my time

You see.. That statement implies that I am either:
Too stupid to understand what your going to say.
Unwilling to listen to what you have to say.
A troll that only posts to elicit response.

In not so many words, it says. You are beneath me and there is no possible way you could understand.

None of the above is correct. If you believe my statements to be in error, perhaps you could point to some literature that explains exactly what properties of the cable are changed after it has once again reached room temperature and how any thing in the process alters the way an electron traverses the cable. Who knows, I might learn something new.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back