Jecklin Float Owners Headcount - fuglyphones owners unite
Oct 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #152 of 175
Quote:
The cat has grown a bit and has now found new places to sleep.

IMG_0310F.jpg

/Mike

Ok that one got me laughing. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #153 of 175
Quote:
All species love Jecklin Float Electrostats!

DSC03356S.jpg

DSC03354S1.jpg

DSC03353S.jpg

I really can't understand why you think that they are ugly...they are simply functional. Aren't you interested in listening to music? I you are, i don't think that i have found anything that reproduces music better than the J.F. Electrostats. It is also, as far as i know, the only headphone that has been exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art, N.Y.

Since the pictures above was taken i have totally renovated the 'stats with new membranes and internal dustcovers and new foam pads.

The cat has grown a bit and has now found new places to sleep.

IMG_0310F.jpg

/Mike

Those are the best float pictures ever
duggehsmile.png
any more?

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #156 of 175
My dad owns a pair of Jecklin Floats. I'm unsure what version they are, as they've been stowed away somewhere the last decade or so
frown.gif
 I do suspect they are the original Jecklyn Float.
I think they were placed on the shelf about twenty years ago, when I was a child. My dad was a rather huge audiophile, and had in addition to the Jecklyn Floats a pair of Koss electrostats (I think maybe the /E.9), Magnepan magneplanar loudspeakers and a rather expensive vinyl rig.
He got rid of the Magnepan speakers because my mother was afraid I'd topple them over me and get hurt, and he was afraid I'd topple them over me and hurt them
tongue.gif

The vinyl rig disappeared after I destroyed a rather pricy pickup using the turntable to launch toy cars into the wall, and I think he hid the Floats for fear I'd destroy them too...
I'm turning 23 in two weeks now, and the vinyl rig is still collecting dust in the attic :/ I don't really know why.
The Floats haven't been brought out simply because the foam is gone, and he's thinking about getting them refurbished. I'll look into Sugden Audio, but will be grateful for any other suggestions for refurbishing them. We live in Norway, so anything outside of Europe I think is out of the question.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #157 of 175
It is also, as far as i know, the only headphone that has been exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art, N.Y.

/Mike
[/quote]

The Bang & Olufsen U70 ortho is also there - seems the museum staff got an eye for interesting designs.

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=917

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #158 of 175
You can also try Quad Music in Germany http://www.quad-musik.de/html/jecklin1.html
They will send you new foams you can install or you can ship them for a service. May not be cheap but could be worth it if the electrostatic panels need repair.  I would fire them up first and see how functional they are.

Quote:
My dad owns a pair of Jecklin Floats. I'm unsure what version they are, as they've been stowed away somewhere the last decade or so
frown.gif
 I do suspect they are the original Jecklyn Float.
I think they were placed on the shelf about twenty years ago, when I was a child. My dad was a rather huge audiophile, and had in addition to the Jecklyn Floats a pair of Koss electrostats (I think maybe the /E.9), Magnepan magneplanar loudspeakers and a rather expensive vinyl rig.
He got rid of the Magnepan speakers because my mother was afraid I'd topple them over me and get hurt, and he was afraid I'd topple them over me and hurt them
tongue.gif

The vinyl rig disappeared after I destroyed a rather pricy pickup using the turntable to launch toy cars into the wall, and I think he hid the Floats for fear I'd destroy them too...
I'm turning 23 in two weeks now, and the vinyl rig is still collecting dust in the attic :/ I don't really know why.
The Floats haven't been brought out simply because the foam is gone, and he's thinking about getting them refurbished. I'll look into Sugden Audio, but will be grateful for any other suggestions for refurbishing them. We live in Norway, so anything outside of Europe I think is out of the question.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #159 of 175
Quote:
You can also try Quad Music in Germany http://www.quad-musik.de/html/jecklin1.html
They will send you new foams you can install or you can ship them for a service. May not be cheap but could be worth it if the electrostatic panels need repair.  I would fire them up first and see how functional they are.

Thanks! This is probably just the thing I need!
Will have to give them a listen like you said. I hope the panels aren't damaged, but you never know...
My dad also has a pair of Koss ESP-9 with the /E.9 energizer, and he says they're pretty much intact. Says he'll lend them to me, and I can't wait to give them a listen!

Edit: I've had both the Float and ESP-9 for about a week now, and they both sound fantastic. Only thing not up to par is the E/9 energizer, which is very noisy in powered mode. The easiest workaround is obviously to run it passively, and then they works just fine.
I ordered the foam kit from Quad (who have utterly ridiculous customer service!) and I must say they look really nice with new foam.
Right now I'm enjoying Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygéne on the Float, the soundstage is just incredible!
Pics to come if anyone shows interest. I have some of the process of fitting new foam and the insides of the headphone. I can also take some of the finished phone, and maybe some of me wearing them
duggehsmile.png

A sidenote on Quad customer service:
I emailed them at 21:19 on a sunday, asking if they could supply a foam kit.
I got a reply at 21:35 (yeah, sixteen minutes later, on a sunday!) saying that they did indeed supply such a kit, that it cost €38 and that shipping was €6, complete with payment instructions (via PayPal). They'd send it the next day if I sent the money, and I'll be damned if I didn't get a shipping notification at noon (12:05 to be exact) the following day. Nothing short of incredible service!

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #160 of 175
I'm waiting to get a pair of Model 1 with dynamic drivers - I'm aware that they are supposedly not very good sound-wise, but the price was right and the novelty element is undeniable... I was wondering if anyone has ever tried installing different drivers in them?

I was thinking of getting drivers out of much better dynamic cans and replacing the old Float drivers. Did anyone try this and have any notes?

Thanks

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #161 of 175
If you want Dynamic floats personally I would not go for a vintage pair but the current ERGO model 2's. 
Quote:
  I'm waiting to get a pair of Model 1 with dynamic drivers - I'm aware that they are supposedly not very good sound-wise, but the price was right and the novelty element is undeniable... I was wondering if anyone has ever tried installing different drivers in them?

I was thinking of getting drivers out of much better dynamic cans and replacing the old Float drivers. Did anyone try this and have any notes?

Thanks

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #162 of 175

Thanks, but I already got the Model 1's. It is in a good condition, newly foamed, and the price was right.

Are the ERGOs still available for sale? 

In any case, I'm still considering the driver change. I'll update if I end up doing it and about the results...

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #163 of 175
Yes the ERGO's are still for sale but are more popular in Europe I think. Not sure if there is a distributor in Australia but Precide sites quotes the following www.precide.ch/eng/english.htm
Audio Dynamics PTY. Ltd.
155-157 Camberwell Road
Hawthorn East 
3123 Victoria Australia
Tel. 0061 03 98820372
email: mailto:philippe@audiodynamics.com.au

ERGO Headphones and accessories
Heil A.M.T. Speakers
MDM Audio Cables

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #164 of 175
I have a Float PS-II

and an Ergo AMT

I think for my taste, the Float sounds nicer, midles maybee a little more neutral

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #165 of 175
I have a Float PS-II

and an Ergo AMT

I think for my taste, the Float sounds nicer, midles maybee a little more neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Back