Jecklin Float Owners Headcount - fuglyphones owners unite
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #166 of 175
I have a Float PS-II

and an Ergo AMT

I think for my taste, the Float sounds nicer, midles maybee a little more neutral

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #167 of 175
I have a Float PS-II

and an Ergo AMT

I think for my taste, the Float sounds nicer, midles maybee a little more neutral

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #169 of 175
Nov 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #171 of 175
Just wanted to say hi, as a new Float PS2 owner.

Im very happy with this headphone, my ears have been yearning for a good electrostat ever since i listened to the Sennheiser Orpheus. And now, the Float fulfills that yearning. My ears are happy now.

Also, since its basically been sitting in a box for a while, the fome has deteriorated quite a bit. But i will be ordering new foam from Quad sometime this week. These phones are worth every penny i paid for them (and it was quite a few of them).

Also for those interested this is the setup im using:
Foobar2000 -> Creative E-MU 1820 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Optonica SM1616 (restored, and slightly hotroded) -> PS2 -> Jecklin Float -> Eardrums

I have not even bothered using audiophile cables to connect the Float to the PS2, but i will be getting some cables in the future. For now the Floats are amazing. (they also beat my T1, by quite a margin too[well its not the size of the grand canyon, but the float definitly resolves better])

I will post some picks as soon as they are restored.

On that note, how would i install the foam that covers the driver stators? i have yet to peal the foam back, since they are on my head right now.

Also, one thing is interesting, the foam on the headband (if you can call it that) is in very good condition oddly enough. Also the floats are a perfect fit on my head, no clue how it is with you guys.

Anyway, im loving my new Floats sofar.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #172 of 175
I have finally had time to finish restoring my floats, and they sound nice. Pictures will be posted as soon as i have time to take them.

Anyway, i have been toying with the idea of creating a amp specifically for the floats, one that can power them, and still have headroom.

So, my question is, what is the lowest frequency the float drivers can safely go down to? Since i would suspect the driver being limmiting factor, since the amp will be overkill and then some. Since i love these headphones, i do not want to destroy the drivers by feeding them a frequency that would kill the drivers... (im thinking of a OCL amp, therefore it could produce DC if needed, if the drivers cant Handel certain low frequency's, i will simply put a cap on the output, as a high pass)

As far as i know the Float QA drivers are identical to the PS2's drivers, but Quad audio dose not have information on the frequency response. Therefore i will ask here.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #173 of 175
... So, my question is, what is the lowest frequency the float drivers can safely go down to? Since i would suspect the driver being limmiting factor, since the amp will be overkill and then some. Since i love these headphones, i do not want to destroy the drivers by feeding them a frequency that would kill the drivers... (im thinking of a OCL amp, therefore it could produce DC if needed, if the drivers cant Handel certain low frequency's, i will simply put a cap on the output, as a high pass)...

??? I'm not a float owner but in general what are you listening to? Music or test signals to torture your equipment?
wink.gif
Unless you feed any transducer with exessive SPL of extreme frequencies either bass or highs nothing in a regular music signal will damage your transducer. It will just not be linear at the extremes. DC at max volume might be another matter
eek.gif

Here an article that has some frequency info on the PS2:
http://www.high-amp.de/html/jecklin_float_eng.html

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #174 of 175
I listen to a veriety of music, but mostly Clasical, metal, and orchestral / trailer music at this time. SPL Wise, i wont have much of a problem, seeing as i normally listen to music with fairly low SPL (around 50dB) but on occasion go to 70dB.

Though my current amp concept can produce DC, that DC can not come from the source, since i will be using DC blocking capacitors on the input anyway.

The question was more of a, can say a frequency response from 15Hz to 30KHz +-0.1dB damage the drivers in the float.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #175 of 175
Inspired by other headcount threads I decided to start this one. I think it would be nice to know who of us does not care about fashion even one bit.
biggrin.gif

So if you have a headphone based on Jecklin Float frame, that is Jecklin Float, PMB Float, MB Quart Float, Ergo or something else that we even do not know about; step forward, or even post you pic if you have no shame.
rolleyes.gif

P.S. My pics
wink.gif
I bought a pair of Float Model 2s off ebay about 20 years ago (even before this thread was started!), meaning to clean them up a bit and use them. They were a bit battered and one side had a rattle but otherwise they were ok. I lost them in a house move ages ago. Anyway... they just turned up in a box in my mum's garage so I've had to shipped out to me. They are a mess, but on the plus side both drivers still work - even though they have both come unglued and are just falling about the place.

I'm thinking this is a proper strip-down and rebuild job and no half measures. I've ordered the refoaming kit from Quad and I'm going to start disassembling them.

Has anyone any experience with restoring the Model 2s? How the drivers are mounted, correct adhesive, how to bring the metal grilles back to silver, other parts worth replacing - that sort of thing? I'll take photos as I go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VqLBHrDpSMXXS7HZA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back