jealous rant
Mar 2, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
That's OK, they will sell even more now that the prices have dropped and probably don't care that you won't buy another one. They've already gotten their money once, whee!

But I agree, if I bought one just before the pricing changes I'd be miffed also.

Still, it's a piece of technology so of course they weren't going to stay the same price forever. It would be like me complaining about buying my X800 XT for $450 and then the next gen of video cards come out and suddenly the price of the XT's drops to $350, thus hurting the resale value. This stuff just happens dude...we have to accept it.

Accept never!
biggrin.gif

It's ridiuclous for such a drastic price change to occur in months not even half a year (I think).
Next purchase is an mp3\mobile phone stuff carrying both a mobil phone and an mp3 devive. Sony's phone would probably sound better than the iPod ala the PSP :lol

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i wish the HD manufacturers would get their butts in gear. i want to rerip all of my music in ALAC, which means i'm going to need a 400 gb iPod.

Has anybody here dropped his or her ipod ? Will the HD survive such drop, or is it clumsy people only deserve the Mini ?

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by eCs_LCS
I hate people that do that. I go up to people with ipods(not minis) and im like how many songs do u have and their like 200 or something. Im like What?

That's a good way to get yourself punched.

People want bigger DAPs I think for two reasons:
1) People anticipate their music collections will grow. Music libraries are not static. People buy new CDs, download from the internet, borrow discs from friends and if you an carry all your music around with you you'll have a greater incentive to keep adding to your library.

2) Value. Until recently, the 4gig iPod mini was $250 and the 20 gig iPod was $300. The mini isn't that much smaller than the full-size iPod so people prefer to get 5x the storage space for 20% more.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Cow
I hate Apple for doing the price restructure. I will never buy an Apple iPod again
mad.gif

You might, never say never. It's a typical technology curve, even if the mp3 player is merely a twist on an existing technology. Whether it's computers, portable phones, televisions in the 1950s, whatever -- when it's brand new there's not a lot of participants in the market, maybe the inventor of the technology and an imitator that pops up. Top price, perhaps astronomical if the manufacturing process is expensive. Competitors jump in, drive costs down, consumer sees prices drop.

Since the iPod was really a new use for an existing technology, it has gone through the maturing curve much more quickly (as does technology in general versus, say, 50 years ago anyway). Apple and its competitors are in an unprecedented and fierce competition because of it, and what I'm saying is the length of time with which it has developed is historically short as well. So in view of this, the whole "it's only been six months" rant is rendered somewhat irrelevant IMO.

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 45
i hate everything, wah wah wah
biggrin.gif

seriously who cares?

unless you feel like having more music or being more into audio makes you more deserved of the blessed ipod, it doesn't matter.

do you suppose that if a person has a lot of music on their hard drives, apple should give them a discount? or maybe just give it to them out of respect for their vast music collection?

i'll tell you what, anyone who wants to buy my 3rd gen 15 gig ipod for 200 bucks can have it, whether they have 1mb or music or 1terabyte of music
rolleyes.gif

meh.

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #22 of 45
I have a 20 gig player and it's filled up. But I really only rotate maybe a gig of songs or less. Am I evil? You bet your ass.

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Has anybody here dropped his or her ipod ? Will the HD survive such drop, or is it clumsy people only deserve the Mini ?

The LCD is usually the first to break.

THe Mini will break too.

Clumsy people should get the Shuffle.

-Ed

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 45
I only have 6GB music, but i still got a HD3, firstly so i could anticipate my collection growing, and so i could use it as external storage, which i do

Also, the only player i could consider getting smaller was the ipod mini, 4GB, which wouldnt have been enough space

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
i hate everything, wah wah wah
biggrin.gif

seriously who cares?

unless you feel like having more music or being more into audio makes you more deserved of the blessed ipod, it doesn't matter.

do you suppose that if a person has a lot of music on their hard drives, apple should give them a discount? or maybe just give it to them out of respect for their vast music collection?

i'll tell you what, anyone who wants to buy my 3rd gen 15 gig ipod for 200 bucks can have it, whether they have 1mb or music or 1terabyte of music
rolleyes.gif

meh.

*Listens to Linkin Park*
Learnt my lesson now- never be the first to adopt the first reitereation of technology.
Having a brother buy a colour lcd screen with more storage iPod for the same price as you and shoving it in you face is hard
frown.gif

Anway Apple made a precursory move it's not like iRiver or Creative have a 50% marketshare. The lifecycle of MP3 players will slow down like mobile phones. I remember when they were popular people used to get the newer models every few months now people change mobil phones 6-18 months. There isn't much else Apple can do maybe add Gapless and call it the 'Gapless' with no screen. It seems unlikely there be further codec support- it'll be minimal improvments-stuff other mp3 players already have. IMO this half gen revamp is more of a gen than the 4th gen itself.

Most of the cool stuff has been added already- colour lcd, Photo import etc.

That's why MP3 Phones with hard drives are teh Future1!11!

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'd edit this post, I can see major flames coming your way!

That's a pretty narrow minded statement to make though. Just because we're on Head-Fi, does the mean we have a lot of music? My roomie (who's never heard of Head-Fi) has over 5,000 songs on his computer. But, since he's not on Head-Fi, does that mean he doesn't need an iPod or HDD-based DAP?

You misinterpret what I said.
smily_headphones1.gif

I said that the non-head-fi'ers who get a 20GB player even if they only have like 600MB worth of music aren't going to need the headroom. Not that all head-fi'ers have a ton of music, or that non-head-fi'ers have almost none.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
That's a different perspective than most of the people who do this.

You're on head-fi. They're not. They're not going to need the headroom.

gotcha.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #28 of 45
I had to laugh a few weeks ago when I overheard a couple people with iPods talking. One said that he had like 500 songs on his, and then the other guy said that his friend has a 40 gig, and that you could never fill that thing up.
biggrin.gif

And I thought to myself, give it to me for an hour
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #29 of 45
40gig ipod here. 2934 songs, 8.6 days of listening, 34.88 gigs used.

most of it is apple lossless, which accounts for the lower number of songs on it. but they all sound goooood.

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #30 of 45
My friend has 120 songs on her 40gb ipod. He even delets songs that he doesn't need so i think thats a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back