jealous rant
Mar 5, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
I seriously don't understand people like that. "Oh, I only have 400MB of music, but I'm getting the iPod Mini! Hm, that might be too small, maybe the 20GB version!"

It just confuses me.

which means he probably wont even use it in time.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Geez, I'm beginning to think you guys don't know how to read.

Go over what I said again.

Notice that I DID NOT SAY that all non-heard-fi'ers don't have a lot of music! I said that those "normal" people, who buy large DAPs despite having very little music, are not going to ever use that capacity.

I also said that head-fi'ers who own a large DAP, despite owning little music, probably will need the head-room. That is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT and NON PERTINENT to my comment about non-head-fi'ers.

Note how that is VERY DIFFERENT from someone who OWNS A LOT OF MUSIC buying a 20GB iPod--they'll use it. Even if they're no on head-fi. I never said otherwise.

Jeepers!

Oh....ok. I think ill have to edit out my post then, i see where youre coming from now.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #35 of 45
People work for their money and spend it the way they want to. Your opinion about it is secondary. Nuff said. Many people would say I didnt spend my money in the best way when looking at my audio setup, but they dont know whats in my head.

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
People work for their money and spend it the way they want to. Your opinion about it is secondary. Nuff said. Many people would say I didnt spend my money in the best way when looking at my audio setup, but they dont know whats in my head.

Yes, but presumably you did the best you could to maximize your enjoyment from your audio system. What others think of it is irrelavent.

People buying a 20GB iPod instead of, say, a 4/6GB iPod, if they're never going to use all that space is just wasteful. They're not maximizing their enjoyment--they'd get the same either way. It will not, if they are at all reasonable, provide them greater utility.

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Yes, but presumably you did the best you could to maximize your enjoyment from your audio system. What others think of it is irrelavent.

People buying a 20GB iPod instead of, say, a 4/6GB iPod, if they're never going to use all that space is just wasteful. They're not maximizing their enjoyment--they'd get the same either way. It will not, if they are at all reasonable, provide them greater utility.

For what it's worth, before I came to head-fi, I never understood why people would need more than 10gb. From the days of napster, my music collection has hovered around 6-7gb. I would downlod new songs, but I would grow tired of others and delete them eventually. Of course these were all ~128kbps. Now, after learning more about sound quality and such on head-fi, my karma 2/3 full of 256kbps ogg, and i'm not finished ripping my cds.

I don't think istariasuka was bashing everyone else, but I do think there the percentage of pple on head-fi who need the headroom is much larger than the percentage of pple out there that have 20gb ipods. How many people do you see using stock apple earbuds? Do you think theyre listening to apple lossless?

And I'm not saying other people don't need it. But i do think that a good percentage don't.

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #38 of 45
I had over 16gb back in 1997... it's all relative.

My 60 is probably about 70-75% full already, as in addition to music, i use it to back up my full-res photos as well as sync thumbnails...

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #39 of 45
i got h120 and i have a couple of gigs of music on it. but i use it as external hdd all the time. i just got a new comp and had to get about 30gb of data on it. i used same hdd in both systems so i had to get that 30gb somewhere. so i just dumped it on my player, then to dad's lappy. then to player again. done and happy.

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #40 of 45
I've dropped my iPod and had no damage. It's in a Countour Showcase, which probably helped, but I was still worried about the hard-drive since it was on at the time. No problems.

As for capacity, I never thought I'd fill up my 40 gb. Well, that dream died pretty quickly and I am hoping for larger versions. 60 gb isn't enough to make me bite, but when they get over 80 I might consider getting a new one and going to Apple Lossless.

Mar 9, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #41 of 45
maybe i'm just wierd, but i thin k the opposite way. I have a zen micro, and about 80g of music on my computer. I'd rather put on a fraction of my music the change it when i get bored with it. anyone else like that or am i alone?

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kal_el_3914
maybe i'm just wierd, but i thin k the opposite way. I have a zen micro, and about 80g of music on my computer. I'd rather put on a fraction of my music the change it when i get bored with it. anyone else like that or am i alone?

I'm like that too. Guess we're both weird.
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #44 of 45
since i use mine almost exclusively for traveling (week+ trips) i don't have that luxury, heck the iPod has the same size HD as my little powerbook.

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #45 of 45
For me 20 gigs seems about perfect for carrying everything I really want with me. I'd still rather have more though....80gb neuros anyone?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back