JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #646 of 692
is there such thing as a usb to 3.5mm jack for computer to an amp? i dont have a dac, and im not sure how good my computer sound card is, i use my ipod more often. but  im thinking of using my computer for movies and stuff. so is there such a cable that can bypass the internal amp in my laptop?

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #650 of 692
Quote:
 still though I'm curious how does the c421 AP8260 sound with DT 880s, is it strong enough to power a 250 Ohm can,

Quote:
 I will give it another listen when I get it back and post a fresh impression.   

Today I received my C421 back with the ferrite changes and the black end plates installed.  One weeks time there and back
smile.gif

Way to go John - big thanks.
So I hooked up my DT880 600Ohm and pressed play - no sound - getting nervous... DOH! power switch needs to be in the ON position
confused_face.gif
  I was in such a hurry forgot to power it up!  To be fair I had it plugged in and the light was illuminated. And yes I took my phones off my head turned down the volume before I turned it on - no ears harmed in this exercise.

How did they sound - GREAT.  Ok that is a little bit of an overzealous generalization, but I really missed my amp.
I initially listened on the low setting and was getting more that enough "loudness" around 3/4 volume without bass boost.  I then turned up to the high gain setting and I felt it drove them better and to very loud levels.  I did not use the bass boost in either position as it made them sound a bit boomy.  I almost always use it with my IEMs though.
So I am happy to report you should have more than enough umph to drive the 250Ohm version - I would suggest trying the low level first.
FYI I used Disturbed - Stupify.flac with my iMod 5.5 Rockboxed / T1 RWA  Isabellina HPA to compare against - it was a very fun and ear exciting experience.
The C421 is one heck of an amp - great value, great sound - period.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #652 of 692
Finally got my new All Black C421 in the mail. This is really an amazing feature packed little amp, today I was listening and did not notice the low battery indicator and it shut itself down very quietly without a glitch - different to my O2 amp that does not turn off and starts popping like crazy with low battery almost giving me a heart attack 
basshead.gif

The LED lights are a neat treat, and the engraving is very stylish

The little switches also go very well with the amp design, JDS Labs really has an eye for detail

The only thing that got me thinking was the gain switch arrangement beside the bass boost switch - I thought it would make more sense to have LOW gain at the bottom beside FLAT and HIGH gain at the top beside the BASS boost -  the same position like an on/off switch - at the moment I find it a bit messy :wink:

All in all the amp is great, again kudos to John and his team. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a nice portable amp.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #657 of 692
What does "Processed at USPS sort facility" mean exactly? This is for my C421.

My previous experience with USPS saw my package go through this process,
Acceptance, Processed at USPS sort facility, Depart USPS sort facility, Processed through USPS sort facility, Processed through USPS sort facility (the second time two days later)

So, if this is the required process, my C421 has been stuck for some time already. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #658 of 692
Quote:
I notice your switches are grey. I figured mine were black. must check :D

Quote:
Mine is the silver plate and also has grey switches. I bought it in August.

Yeah mine are black, too!  Originally silver plates but orderd the black plate upgrade kit ($15 very well spent!--it looks great!).  I bought the amp back in the late spring I believe.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #659 of 692
Quote:
is there such thing as a usb to 3.5mm jack for computer to an amp? i dont have a dac, and im not sure how good my computer sound card is, i use my ipod more often. but  im thinking of using my computer for movies and stuff. so is there such a cable that can bypass the internal amp in my laptop?

or is the bypasing of the sound card the only option with a usb dac?

Well, sort of.  You don't need a separate component, per se, you can use a "dac cable" from Headstage.  You can order it for $70 here http://www.headstage.com/USB-DAC-Cable/USB-DAC-Cable-with-35mm-Mini-Plug-75cm-30::10134.html, but what you will receive is the newer generation, reviewed here:  http://www.headfonia.com/the-headstage-usb-dac-cable/.  Sounded pretty favourable overall.

Another budget DAC you could consider is the Fiio E7, which I think falls around that same retail price:  http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e7-portable-dac/ 

OR, if you're okay spending a bit more, and already ordering a C421 from JDS anyway, you could consider a "standalone ODAC":  http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back