JDS Labs Element
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #601 of 636
I don't think it works like that... If the DAC isn't getting enough signal it just won't work rather than degrade in sound quality.

It's the analog part I'm wondering about. The DAC's purpose is to output digital sound as analog, and as an analog signal if it's not getting enough power it could degrade the sound quality (albeit it's likely only a miniscule amount). What I'm wondering is by how much; is there a reason JDS recommends a 3-foot cable other than reducing the possibility of digital dropouts?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #602 of 636
@MatthewK - Shorter cables reduce the possibility of characteristic impedance deviations. The longer the cable, the more opportunities are presented for impedance discontinuities. This is entirely unrelated to power. From a recent post:

USB Impedance
Notice that Element is built on a 4-layer PCB, while ODAC uses a 2-layer board. Differential USB signals require a characteristic impedance of 90 ohms, and this spec is only tightly controlled on a 4L board. Ideal USB characteristic impedance improves jitter and increases reliability of USB connections when using long cables (6ft+).​

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #608 of 636
Given that the O2+ODAC will drive the HD600 to ear bleeding levels anyway, is there any meaningfl advantage to be had from trading up to the Element, if I'm not going to be buying any 600 Ohm Beyers?

I'd hate to say, but no. The amp would a lot better than the O2, but I would actually suggest just upgrading to EL DAC instead, as that dac is better than what is in the element.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #610 of 636
I'd hate to say, but no. The amp would a lot better than the O2, but I would actually suggest just upgrading to EL DAC instead, as that dac is better than what is in the element.

I have an EL DAC and an EL AMP for sale. prolly 15 hours on them. I went to Schiit.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #611 of 636
So can anyone tell me what are the differences between the first generation and new(er) model?
I remember seeing it mentioned here, but can't find it at the moment.

I've bought the refurbished Element, the whole time under impression it's the current one -
only to be told "Oh, btw, it's the first generation" just now, when it's probably already on the way.
It'd be a hassle sending it back (given it's going across the Europe),
so does keeping it despite it being older model make sense?
Or am I better getting a newer one someplace else?

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #612 of 636
So can anyone tell me what are the differences between the first generation and new(er) model?
I remember seeing it mentioned here, but can't find it at the moment.

I've bought the refurbished Element, the whole time under impression it's the current one -
only to be told "Oh, btw, it's the first generation" just now, when it's probably already on the way.
It'd be a hassle sending it back (given it's going across the Europe),
so does keeping it despite it being older model make sense?
Or am I better getting a newer one someplace else?

Here's the post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ori...fferent-from-newer-ones.870105/#post-13983797

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #615 of 636
Anyone here have their Element stacked with EL DAC?
I'm tempted to get EL DAC to stack with my Element for more input connectivity but, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to drop 250 bucks for "another" DAC to match with my Element.
JDS claims that EL DAC "achieves superior measurable performance" compare to the DAC in Element though, I'm not sure if the price is justifiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back