JDS Labs Element

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by imackler, May 28, 2015.
First

Back
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
  1. MatthewK
    It's the analog part I'm wondering about. The DAC's purpose is to output digital sound as analog, and as an analog signal if it's not getting enough power it could degrade the sound quality (albeit it's likely only a miniscule amount). What I'm wondering is by how much; is there a reason JDS recommends a 3-foot cable other than reducing the possibility of digital dropouts?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. jseaber
    @MatthewK - Shorter cables reduce the possibility of characteristic impedance deviations. The longer the cable, the more opportunities are presented for impedance discontinuities. This is entirely unrelated to power. From a recent post:

USB Impedance
    Notice that Element is built on a 4-layer PCB, while ODAC uses a 2-layer board. Differential USB signals require a characteristic impedance of 90 ohms, and this spec is only tightly controlled on a 4L board. Ideal USB characteristic impedance improves jitter and increases reliability of USB connections when using long cables (6ft+).​

bixby, MatthewK and ostewart like this.
  3. MatthewK
    Ah, thank you for clearing that up. So power isn't an issue with a 6ft+ cable, jitter and reliability of the connection is the concern. Thanks! :)

4. Scapewalker
    Is it worth upgrading the USB cable for my element to an audioquest cinamon or carbon edition cable for example?

5. Mark Stamper
    NO.

bixby likes this.
  6. theminstrel
    Given that the O2+ODAC will drive the HD600 to ear bleeding levels anyway, is there any meaningfl advantage to be had from trading up to the Element, if I'm not going to be buying any 600 Ohm Beyers?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  7. Oscar-HiFi
    It looks better :wink:

8. PacoTaco
    I'd hate to say, but no. The amp would a lot better than the O2, but I would actually suggest just upgrading to EL DAC instead, as that dac is better than what is in the element.

Mark Stamper, bixby and ostewart like this.
  9. evilsync
    Anyone tried this with a tube amp? Wonder how a WA6 or WA7 would be paired with this.

10. Mark Stamper
    I have an EL DAC and an EL AMP for sale. prolly 15 hours on them. I went to Schiit.

11. Burt Macklin
    So can anyone tell me what are the differences between the first generation and new(er) model?
    I remember seeing it mentioned here, but can't find it at the moment.

I've bought the refurbished Element, the whole time under impression it's the current one -
    only to be told "Oh, btw, it's the first generation" just now, when it's probably already on the way.
    It'd be a hassle sending it back (given it's going across the Europe),
    so does keeping it despite it being older model make sense?
    Or am I better getting a newer one someplace else?

12. jseaber
    Here's the post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ori...fferent-from-newer-ones.870105/#post-13983797

Burt Macklin and Oscar-HiFi like this.
  13. Burt Macklin
    Yep, that's it -
    not sure why I couldn't find it, thanks :)

14. WayneWoondirts
First

Back
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40